Missing Revision Time Stamps on Edited Posts: A New Bug on PF?

• Bug
  • Thread starter nvn
  • Start date
In summary, there seems to be a glitch on the website Physics Forums where the revision time stamps on edited posts are no longer visible when not logged in. However, the stamps are still present when logged in. Some users have noticed this issue and are questioning the reason behind it, but it may have been done intentionally to reduce irrelevant content on the page and improve Google's ranking of the site. It is not seen as a major problem by some users.
nvn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I just now noticed a glitch in PF that seems to have started happening today. The revision time stamp on edited posts seems to have disappeared, if you are not logged into PF. But the revision time stamps still appear, as usual, if you are logged in. Do other people notice this new bug? What is causing the edit time stamps to disappear, at the moment?

Physics news on Phys.org
nvn said:
I just now noticed a glitch in PF that seems to have started happening today. The revision time stamp on edited posts seems to have disappeared, if you are not logged into PF. But the revision time stamps still appear, as usual, if you are logged in. Do other people notice this new bug? What is causing the edit time stamps to disappear, at the moment?

It was done on purpose. Is it a problem?

Greg Bernhardt said:
It was done on purpose.

I just tried to think what purpose it might serve, and failed :confused:

But since I use the "remember me" login option, presumably it doesn't affect me anyway.

AlephZero said:
I just tried to think what purpose it might serve, and failed :confused:

The more topic irrelevant noise is on the page the less Google tends to like it.

I don't see why a guest needs to know edit times, so didn't think it was a big deal.

Sometimes posts get edited in response to a later post, but I don't think it's a big deal either, compared with Google targetting PF with ads for clocks, or editing software :smile:

1. What does "Revision time stamp missing" mean?

"Revision time stamp missing" is an error message that appears when there is no information available about the last revision or modification made to a document or file. This could be due to various reasons such as the file being corrupted or the document not being saved properly.

2. Why does the "Revision time stamp missing" error occur?

The error can occur due to a variety of reasons such as the file being saved in an unsupported format, the document being opened in a different program, or the file being damaged or corrupted.

3. How can I fix the "Revision time stamp missing" error?

The first step to fixing this error is to try and open the file in the program it was originally created in. If that doesn't work, you can try opening the file in a different program or converting it to a different format. If the file is damaged or corrupted, you may need to use file recovery software to retrieve the missing time stamp.

4. Can I prevent the "Revision time stamp missing" error from occurring?

Yes, you can prevent this error by regularly saving your files in a supported format and making sure to save them properly. It is also important to use reliable software and to properly shut down your computer to avoid any potential data loss.

5. Is the "Revision time stamp missing" error a serious issue?

The error itself may not be serious, but it could indicate a larger problem with the file or your computer. It is important to address the error and try to retrieve the missing time stamp, as it could affect the accuracy and reliability of the file.