Engineers with ADD & OCD? What field would I do well in?

• Thread starter sbcy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the individual has ADD, OCD, and possibly GAD, which may be a result of their family background. They have always struggled with school, despite their meticulous approach, due to the clash of their ADD and OCD. They have a strong interest in activities that involve customization and optimization, and have a desire for a high level of competency. They have been successful in a technical job in the film industry, but feel the need for something more. They have not found any effective treatment for their symptoms and are considering pursuing a career in equipment maintenance or possibly getting an engineering degree. They are encouraged to find a relaxing hobby and reminded that hard work will lead to success.
sbcy
I have ADD and OCD (and supposedly GAD - generalized anxiety disorder - likely as a result of the prior); I come from a family of PHDs,engineers, doctors, etc. I've never liked school because I always seemed to make careless errors DESPITE my meticulous approach to everything. (likely the clash of ADD - OCD). I've always found myself most interested in activities/games/things that involved customizing/improving things/optimizing/tweaking. I also have a strong desire for a high level of competency and have done so in the few things I have pursued. I'm an ISTJ (as you might have guessed) but also an INTJ - I took the MBPTI multiple times and was always one of these 2. I've heard the most common personality of an engineer is ISTJ but I've never been fond of academics. I guess math was one of my stronger subjects but I was never really strong in any school work (I was just in regular math, not advanced). I also never took an interest in programming as a lot of ISTJs do (usually there were tools written already that I could use to solve what ever issue at hand). I always seem to be trouble shooting problems but I don't really feel all that drawn to math except maybe at a basic level for doing some basic trouble shooting or calculations related cameras/film. Since getting out of high school I've been working in the film industry as an AC in the camera department which is basically one of the people responsible for the technical aspects of the camera and making sure everything works properly and things are accounted for-it requires a fairly meticulous person to do the job. But while it has been fun and I have seen some success at a young age (in part because I had studied up on all this stuff in high school and then skipped film school and went straight to working), I feel like I need something more. Instead of working within a system I am always thinking of how to make the system better. I want to find something where I can put this drive to work and that I will enjoy because my work has always been my passion. Any ideas??

PS: I haven't found any treatment to help my symptoms and I don't know if anything will ever work as things currently stand.

Engineering news on Phys.org
They didnt have names for those syndromes when i was young.

I've never liked school because I always seemed to make careless errors DESPITE my meticulous approach to everything.
Accept that you'll just have to work a little harder than most folks. Look up Demosthenes.

PS: I haven't found any treatment to help my symptoms and I don't know if anything will ever work as things currently stand.
Success is just a series of little daily victories.

You are IMHO in the right field - equipment maintenance.
If you decide to conquer math and get an engineering degree it will open a lot of doors for you
but industy needs good technicians too.

Your choice - the harder you work the farther you go.

Find a hobby that relaxes you - perhaps speakerbuilding or astronomy.

1. What is the link between ADD and OCD in engineers?

Many engineers with ADD also have symptoms of OCD. This is because both conditions involve difficulty with managing attention and focus, as well as a tendency towards perfectionism and organization. However, not all engineers with ADD will also have OCD, and vice versa.

2. How does ADD affect an engineer's performance?

ADD can have a significant impact on an engineer's performance. It can make it difficult to concentrate on tasks, stay organized, and manage time effectively. However, with proper support and accommodations, engineers with ADD can excel in their field.

3. Can engineers with ADD and OCD be successful in their careers?

Yes, engineers with ADD and OCD can be very successful in their careers. While these conditions may present challenges, they can also bring unique strengths to the table, such as creativity, attention to detail, and problem-solving skills. With the right support and strategies, engineers with ADD and OCD can thrive in their field.

4. Are there certain fields of engineering that are better suited for individuals with ADD and OCD?

There is no specific field of engineering that is better suited for individuals with ADD and OCD. However, certain types of engineering may require more attention to detail and organization, which may be challenging for individuals with these conditions. It is important for individuals to find a field that aligns with their strengths and interests.

5. What strategies can engineers with ADD and OCD use to manage their symptoms in the workplace?

There are various strategies that engineers with ADD and OCD can use to manage their symptoms in the workplace. These may include setting up a structured routine, breaking tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks, and using tools like calendars and reminders to stay organized. Seeking support from a therapist or coach who specializes in working with individuals with these conditions can also be helpful.