Radio: How does a demodulator work?

• Thread starter Johnleprekan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radio Work
In summary, a diode is used to detect the envelope of an AM signal. The capacitor is used as a low-pass filter to reduce the interference from higher RF frequencies.
Johnleprekan
Can someone explain how a demodulator or detector for a radio works in layman's terms? It is the part of the radio that separates the sound from the carrier wave. For both am and fm. I would like to know how it actually does this.

Also, can someone explain how a coil in a circuit affects its frequency?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'll try the last question, it's the easiest. :smile:

A coil is what we use when we need an inductor. By itself, an inductor does not have a "frequency". A tuning circuit involves an inductor together with a capacitor, and one of these is usually made variable so that you can alter the circuit's resonant frequency. The frequency the combination tunes to is the frequency where the capacitor has an equal but opposite impedance to that of the inductor, so that if one of these is made variable, then the frequency of resonance is variable and you are able to tune your radio up and down the band listening for stations on different frequencies.

Johnleprekan said:
Can someone explain how a demodulator or detector for a radio works in layman's terms? It is the part of the radio that separates the sound from the carrier wave. For both am and fm. I would like to know how it actually does this.

Also, can someone explain how a coil in a circuit affects its frequency?

Wiki is usually a good source of first call for most information. Is there anything in this link that you need explaining more clearly? I don't think you can get more "layman's terms" than that.

Thank you for the link. I'm still a little confused on how the capacitor demodulates for am. The fm can be filtered by removing a certain frequency and I understand how that can be done.

Johnleprekan said:
Thank you for the link. I'm still a little confused on how the capacitor demodulates for am. The fm can be filtered by removing a certain frequency and I understand how that can be done.

The diode is the main device that does the demodulating ( detecting) of the AM audio from the RF signal. The capacitor in basic circuits can be done away with, but is often used as a low pass filter, allowing the lower frequency of the audio signal to pass through and stopping any of the higher RF frequencies from passing on to the ausio amplifier stages.

Dave

Johnleprekan said:

It's not a capacitor, it's a diode that is used for the envelope detection of an AM signal.

What does the diode do exactly? From what I understand, diodes only allow electricity to pass one way and not the other.

How does the capacitor actually act as a low pass filter? Do capacitors only store charge at a certain frequency?

Is the same kind of circuit used to filter fm? What does the filtering for fm?

What is meant by phase shifting 90 degrees?

Last edited:
Johnleprekan said:
What does the diode do exactly? From what I understand, diodes only allow electricity to pass one way and not the other.

How does the capacitor actually act as a low pass filter?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envelope_detector

Johnleprekan said:
Do capacitors only store charge at a certain frequency?

Your questions indicate that you may need some more basic background. There are a lot of good beginner books that teach the basics of electronics. My first book was "Getting Started In Electronics". But that was back in the 60's. The modern version is by a different author, so I haven't read that one.

Johnleprekan said:

How does the capacitor actually act as a low pass filter? Do capacitors only store charge at a certain frequency?

Please do us all a favor. Please use wikipedia to read more about your questions, and then if you are confused by what you read, please post your follow-up questions here with links to what you have read.

I know that you are trying to learn, but part of learning is learning how to learn. It is best to do lots of reading on your own first, before you ask others to help you understand. Learning how to learn is an important cornerstone of the PF. :smile:

@Johnleprekan
The very fact that you think you understand FM demodulation but not AM, demonstrates that you have a long way to go. You cannot just parachute half way into a subject like this and expect not to be totally lost. Start with the basics or you'll never get anywhere.

1. What is a demodulator?

A demodulator, also known as a detector, is a device used in radio communication to extract the original information signal from a modulated carrier wave. It essentially converts a modulated signal back into its original form.

2. How does a demodulator work?

A demodulator works by taking in a modulated signal, which consists of a carrier wave and a modulating signal, and separating the two using a process called demodulation. This process can be achieved through various techniques such as amplitude demodulation, frequency demodulation, and phase demodulation.

3. What is the purpose of a demodulator in a radio?

The purpose of a demodulator in a radio is to retrieve the original audio or data signal from a modulated carrier wave. This allows us to listen to radio broadcasts or receive information transmitted through radio waves.

4. How does a demodulator differ from a modulator?

A demodulator and a modulator are essentially opposite devices. While a demodulator extracts the original signal from a modulated carrier wave, a modulator combines or alters a signal to be transmitted through a carrier wave. In other words, a demodulator is used to receive information while a modulator is used to transmit information.

5. Are there different types of demodulators?

Yes, there are various types of demodulators used in different communication systems. Some examples include amplitude demodulators, frequency demodulators, phase demodulators, and synchronous demodulators. Each type of demodulator is designed to work with a specific type of modulation and has its own advantages and limitations.