Position-time equation from force-position equation

In summary: However, I don't think this is what you were asking.Sorry if I'm not being clear.In summary, this person has been trying to find an equation of position in terms of time given force in terms of position but has not been able to. They have found an equation for the velocity in terms of position using work and kinetic energy but have not been able to find an equation for the position-time equation.
Droctagonopus
I've been trying to obtain an equation of position in terms of time given force in terms of position. I've tried and I think I've managed to obtain an equation of velocity in terms of position using work and kinetic energy but I haven't managed the position time equation.

This is how I got velocity equation:
A point mass [itex]m[/itex] is at starting position [itex]x=0[/itex] with starting velocity [itex]v_0[/itex]

[itex]F=x+1[/itex]
[itex]W=\int_0^x {(x+1)dx}=\frac{x^2+2x}2[/itex]
[itex]\frac 1 2 m(v^2-{v_0}^2)=\frac{x^2+2x}2[/itex]
[itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{x^2+2x}m+{v_0}^2}[/itex]

How do I get a position-time equation? And how do I use a starting position other than x = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well just note that your equations are horribly dimensionally incorrect. But other than that, if you have ##\dot{x} = f(x)## then ##t = \int _{0}^{x} \frac{1}{f(x)}dx## and from there you just have to integrate (in principle) and invert the equation (in principle) to get ##x(t)## explicitly.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I was working in one dimension. And what does the dot above the x signify?

When I said dimensionally incorrect I meant that your units are all wrong. The dot is a time derivative so ##v = \dot{x}##.

By inverting the equation, do you mean getting an equation of x in terms of t?

But does the velocity equation have to have a time variable in it? And also, is it possible to do this from an acceleration equation?

No the velocity equation doesn't have to have a time variable. As I said, you have ##\frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} t} = f(x)## hence you can solve for ##t(x)## just by solving the differential equation (in principle). You can then get ##x(t)## by inverting the equation (again in principle). I don't know what you mean by your second question; isn't that exactly what you did here? You started with the force as a function of position, which is also acceleration as a function of position, and you used the work-energy theorem to get an equation for the velocity in terms of position.

I mean, is there was a way to do it without going through the process of obtaining a velocity equation?

Well sure you could directly solve the second order linear differential equation in principle. The simplest example is the simple harmonic oscillator wherein you have ##\ddot{x} = f(x) = -\omega^{2} x##. You can solve this analytically immediately and obtain ##x(t) = A\cos\omega t + B\sin\omega t##.

What is the position-time equation?

The position-time equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between an object's position and time. It is typically written as x = x0 + v0t + ½at2, where x is the final position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

How is the position-time equation derived from the force-position equation?

The position-time equation can be derived from the force-position equation, also known as Newton's Second Law of Motion (F = ma). By substituting the expression for acceleration (a = F/m) into the position-time equation, we can see that the equation is a result of the relationship between force, mass, acceleration, and displacement.

What is the significance of the position-time equation in physics?

The position-time equation is a fundamental equation in physics that is used to describe the motion of objects under the influence of a constant force. It is applicable to a wide range of scenarios, from simple free-fall motion to more complex situations involving multiple forces and changing acceleration.

How is the position-time equation used in real-world applications?

The position-time equation is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, calculating the motion of objects in orbit, and understanding the motion of vehicles in traffic. It is also used in engineering to design structures and machines that can withstand different forces and movements.

Can the position-time equation be used for non-constant acceleration?

While the position-time equation is most commonly used for constant acceleration, it can also be used for non-constant acceleration by breaking the motion into smaller segments with constant acceleration. This is known as the piecewise method, where the position-time equation is applied separately to each segment of the motion to accurately describe the overall motion of the object.