Forming a formula from a-b=c-d

• Thread starter khazaymeh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship a-b=c-d and the process of solving for c under given assumptions and known values. It also addresses the incorrect equation c=a/b*d and offers alternative arrangements of the terms on the other side of the equation.
khazaymeh
Hi, I am beginner in mathematics , I have the following relationship:

a-b=c-d

I need to calculate c under the assumption that a, b and d are known values.
I got c=a-b+d
and c=a/b*d

can I use any other formulas?!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
khazaymeh said:

a-b=c-d

I got c=a-b+d
and c=a/b*d

c=a-b+d follows directly from the stated relationship. Where did you get c=a/b*d ?

khazaymeh said:

a-b=c-d

I got c=a-b+d
What you got above is correct. To solve for c, add d to both sides of the equation.

I don't know how you got the equation below, but it's incorrect.
khazaymeh said:
and c=a/b*d

The equation you started with is very simple, so the only possible differences are how the three terms on the other side are arranged, with a total of six ways.

c = a - b + d
c = a + d - b
c = d + a - b
c = d - b + a
c = -b + a + d
c = -b + d + a

khazaymeh said:

a-b=c-d

I got c=a-b+d
and c=a/b*d

c=a-b+d follows from a-b=c-d

c=a/b*d follows from a/b=c/d

Did you write it down in a way that your -'s look like /'s ?

Hello,

Yes, there are other formulas that can be used to solve for c in this equation. One possible formula is c=a+d-b, which is equivalent to the formula you provided (c=a-b+d). Additionally, you can also use the formula c=(a+d)/(b+1), or c=(a-b)/(d-1). These are just a few examples, and there may be many other possible formulas that can be used to solve for c in this equation.

It's important to note that when dealing with equations, there is often more than one way to solve for a variable. It's always a good idea to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure that it satisfies the relationship.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your mathematical journey!

1. How do I form a formula from a-b=c-d?

To form a formula from a-b=c-d, you need to first understand that the "=" sign means "is equal to". So, a-b=c-d can be read as "a minus b is equal to c minus d". This means that the left side of the equation must be equal to the right side. To form a formula, you can rearrange the terms to isolate the variable you are solving for, and then perform the necessary operations to solve for that variable.

2. What are the variables in the equation a-b=c-d?

The variables in this equation are a, b, c, and d. These are letters that represent unknown values that need to be solved for. They can be any real number, and their values can vary depending on the given problem.

3. Can you give an example of a formula formed from a-b=c-d?

One example of a formula formed from a-b=c-d is solving for the value of a in the equation 2a-5=3a+2. To solve for a, we can subtract 3a from both sides to isolate the variable: 2a-3a-5=3a-3a+2. This simplifies to -a-5=2. Then, we can add 5 to both sides to get the value of a: -a-5+5=2+5, which gives us -a=7. Finally, we can divide both sides by -1 to get the final solution of a=-7.

4. How can I check if my formula is correct?

The best way to check if your formula is correct is by substituting the values of the variables into the equation and see if it holds true. For example, if you have the equation 2x-3=5x+1 and you solved for x and got x=2, you can plug in x=2 into the equation: 2(2)-3=5(2)+1. This should give you the same value on both sides of the equation, which confirms that your formula is correct.

5. Can a formula formed from a-b=c-d have more than one solution?

Yes, a formula formed from a-b=c-d can have more than one solution. This means that there can be more than one value for the variable that will make the equation true. For example, if you have the equation 2x+1=3x+2, solving for x will give you x=1. However, if you plug in x=1 into the equation, it will still be true. This means that x=1 is not the only solution, and there can be infinitely many other values for x that will make the equation true.