Learning Python: What Do I Need to Download?

• Thread starter physicsCU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Python
In summary, to start learning Python, you need to download the interpreter and some common libraries, and a text editor.
physicsCU
Hey all,

I decided I want to learn Python. Why? Cause I can.

But, and I can't find this anywhere, what all do I need to download to start? Obviously I need the core product, but what about IDE's or text editors? I can't find any information as to whether or not i need this, or tips or what.

So can someone kinda step me through this? I know about ActiveState, but I want to choose my own stuff, but no one seems to say what all is needed. It seems like the core product from python.org will be fine, but i dunno.

I have MATLAB experience and use Windows.

Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
I assume you're running Windows. (If you're running any variant of Unix, Python is probably already installed for you.)

1. For Windows, download the Windows installer[/u]. This will install the Python interpreter itself, a bunch of common libraries, and some simple IDEs.

2. Alternatively, you may wish to install cygwin on your Windows machine. Cygwin is a POSIX layer that runs above Windows and allows you to run just about any Unix program on your Windows machine. It comes with Python in the default install.

3. You don't really need to use any special text editor, but I prefer TextPad and UltraEdit.

4. For actually learning Python, I recommend O'Reilly's Learning Python and Programming Python. There are also plenty of tutorials on the web, for example at http://python.org.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog/2005/10/19/vpython-3d-programming-for-ordinary-mortals/

Last edited by a moderator:
python comes with an inbuilt ide called python. it is pretty good for basic purposes. for advanced features, you might want to try out komodo (ActiveState).

For learning all you need is a good text editor.. no need for an IDE at that point.

On windows, I like Notepad++... I am a fan of the basics... I don't usually use IDEs for projects even.

What is Python and why should I learn it?

Python is a high-level, interpreted programming language that is widely used in various fields such as web development, data science, and artificial intelligence. It is known for its simple and easy-to-learn syntax, making it a great language for beginners. Learning Python can open up many job opportunities and enhance your problem-solving skills.

Do I need to download anything to start learning Python?

Yes, you will need to download and install the Python interpreter to run Python code on your computer. You can download the latest version of Python for free from the official website - python.org. Additionally, you may also need to install a code editor or an integrated development environment (IDE) to write and execute your code.

What is the best code editor or IDE for Python?

There are many popular code editors and IDEs that support Python, such as Visual Studio Code, PyCharm, Atom, and Sublime Text. The best one for you will depend on your personal preferences and the features you need. It's recommended to try a few and see which one works best for you.

Can I learn Python without any prior programming experience?

Yes, Python is often recommended as a first programming language for beginners because of its simple and readable syntax. It is also a great language to learn the fundamentals of programming concepts such as variables, loops, and functions. However, having some basic understanding of computer science concepts can be helpful.

Are there any online resources or tutorials for learning Python?

Yes, there are plenty of online resources and tutorials for learning Python. Some popular ones include Codecademy, Coursera, and Udemy. You can also find many free tutorials and exercises on YouTube and other coding websites. It's recommended to find a resource that suits your learning style and stick to it consistently.