Finding the concentration of a gas (thermodynamics)

In summary, the concentration of oxygen molecules at a root mean square velocity of 480m/s and pressure of 20kPa is approximately 4.9 x 10^24 molecules per cubic meter.
raul_l
Hi.

Homework Statement

The root mean square velocity of oxygen molecules is 480m/s while the pressure is 20kPa.

What is the concentration (particles/volume) of oxygen?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
[tex] E_{kin}=\frac{m \overline{v}^2}{2}=\frac{3}{2}kT [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] m \overline{v}^2=3kT \Rightarrow T= \frac{m \overline{v}^2}{3k} [/tex]

[tex] PV=nR \frac{m \overline{v}^2}{3k} \Rightarrow n=\frac{3kPV}{Rm \overline{v}^2} [/tex] where [tex] m=2 \times 16 \times 1.66 \times 10^{-27} kg [/tex]

I set V=1m^3 and get n=8.137mol and therefore [tex] \frac{n \times n_{a}}{V}=4.899 m^{-3} [/tex] where [tex] n_{a}=6.02 \times 10^{23} [/tex]

Is this correct? I'm sure there's a simpler way to do this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the mass refers to an individual oxygen molecule (from what I recall at the moment), (16 grams of Oxygen/mole of Oxygen)(1 mole/6.022 x 10^23 atoms)(1 kilogram/1000 grams)(2 atoms of Oxygen/1 diatomic molecule)=____...the setup should be solved for n/V, this means that you need to incorporate a particular value of R, choose from the list on the page that can be linked to through the below text so that the final units for n/V is respect to moles/liter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_constant

Last edited:
Actually, since this is one of my physics class problems (not chemistry) concentration really does mean particles/volume in this case. Which means that I have chosen the right value for R, I think.

raul_l said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] m \overline{v}^2=3kT \Rightarrow T= \frac{m \overline{v}^2}{3k} [/tex]

[tex] PV=nR \frac{m \overline{v}^2}{3k} \Rightarrow n=\frac{3kPV}{Rm \overline{v}^2} [/tex] where [tex] m=2 \times 16 \times 1.66 \times 10^{-27} kg [/tex]

I set V=1m^3 and get n=8.137mol and therefore [tex] \frac{n \times n_{a}}{V}=4.899 m^{-3} [/tex] where [tex] n_{a}=6.02 \times 10^{23} [/tex]
You're missing a factor of 10^{24} in that final bit.

Is this correct? I'm sure there's a simpler way to do this.
The method is perfectly correct - I haven't checked the numbers, but I believe the final number looks close enough (I happen to know that the RMS speed of oxygen molecules at room temperature is about 500m/s, and at NTP, a mole of atoms occupies about 22.4 liters, so at a fifth of an atmosphere, the concentration would be roughly 6/(5*0.0224)*10^{23} per cubic meter, which is about 10% higher than your number, but this is very rough estimate.)

As for a simpler way, I think this is as simple as it gets. Only, notice that since R=k*Na, and M=m*Na, your final expression simplifies to n=3PV/Mv^2 (in moles).

Last edited:
(n/v)=20 kPa(1000 Pa/1 kPa)(1.3806503 × 10-23 m2 kg s-2 K-1)3/[8.314472 m^3 · Pa · K-1 · mol-1(16 grams of Oxygen/mole of Oxygen)(1 mole/6.022 x 10^23 atoms)(1 kilogram/1000 grams)(2 atoms of Oxygen/1 diatomic molecule)(480 m/s)^2]= 0.00813782909722 moles/m^3

(0.00813782909722 moles Oxygen/L)(6.022x10^23 molecules Oxygen/mole)= 4.900600682 x 10^24 molecules/m^3

So there's everything done in a perfunctory fashion for ya, I wanted to see what answer would result with the "chemist" method.:smile:

I'm going to need to see if the units cancel out exactly...

Last edited:

1. What exactly is the concentration of a gas?

The concentration of a gas refers to the amount of gas present in a given volume of space. It can also be thought of as the number of gas molecules per unit volume.

2. Why is it important to find the concentration of a gas?

The concentration of a gas is important because it affects the properties and behavior of the gas, such as its pressure, temperature, and reactivity. It is also necessary for many industrial and scientific processes.

3. How is the concentration of a gas measured?

The concentration of a gas can be measured using various techniques, such as gas chromatography, mass spectrometry, and spectroscopy. These methods involve analyzing the physical and chemical properties of the gas to determine its concentration.

4. What factors can affect the concentration of a gas?

The concentration of a gas can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances in the gas mixture. Changes in these factors can alter the number of gas molecules per unit volume, thus changing the concentration of the gas.

5. How does thermodynamics play a role in finding the concentration of a gas?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It plays a crucial role in finding the concentration of a gas because it helps us understand the behavior of gases under different conditions, such as changes in temperature and pressure, which can affect the concentration of a gas.