Effects of temperature towards conductivity

In summary, The conversation discusses a task given by a physics group leader to conduct an experiment on the effect of temperature on the conductivity of a charcoal rod. The individual has questions on how to heat and maintain the rod at a desired temperature, and how to keep the temperature constant during the experiment. However, it is suggested that the temperature does not need to be kept constant and that by measuring the temperature, current, and voltage simultaneously, a graph can be plotted to analyze the relationship between these variables.
wisdom32
Ok, i am given this task by my physics group leader and is required to do an experiment based on the following research question:
To investigate the effect of temperature to the conductivity of a charcoal rod.

i. How do i heat a charcoal rod to a desired temperature and make it remain constant at that temperature ?

ii. When i am conducting the experiment as in letting electric current go through the rod, wouldn't it heat up due to its resistance ? Again, how do i keep the temperature constant ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to keep the rod at a constant temperature. Can you measure 1)the temperature of the rod, 2)the current flowing through the rod and 3) the voltage across the rod, simultaneously ? If so, you only need to find these values for different currents/temperatures and plot a graph.

I am excited to hear about your experiment on the effects of temperature on conductivity. Conductivity is a very important property that can greatly affect the performance of materials in various applications.

To answer your first question, there are a few ways you could heat a charcoal rod to a desired temperature and maintain that temperature throughout the experiment. One option is to use a heating mantle or hot plate that can be set to a specific temperature and has a temperature control feature to maintain the desired temperature. You could also use a thermometer to monitor the temperature of the rod and adjust the heat source accordingly.

As for your second question, it is true that passing an electric current through the rod will heat it up due to its resistance. To keep the temperature constant, you could use a thermocouple or infrared thermometer to monitor the temperature and adjust the heat source as needed. It is also important to keep the experiment in a controlled environment to minimize any external temperature changes.

Additionally, to ensure accurate results, it is important to have a control group in your experiment where the rod is not heated and the temperature is kept constant. This will allow you to compare the conductivity of the heated rod to the non-heated rod and determine the true effect of temperature on conductivity.

I wish you the best of luck with your experiment and look forward to hearing about your results. Remember to always follow proper safety protocols when conducting experiments involving heat and electricity.

1. What is conductivity and how does it relate to temperature?

Conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity. It is directly proportional to temperature, meaning that as temperature increases, so does conductivity.

2. How does temperature affect the conductivity of metals?

Temperature has a significant impact on the conductivity of metals. As temperature increases, the atoms in the metal vibrate more, causing more collisions and hindering the flow of electrons. This results in a decrease in conductivity.

3. How does temperature affect the conductivity of non-metals?

Unlike metals, non-metals have a negative temperature coefficient, meaning that as temperature increases, their conductivity increases as well. This is because the increased temperature causes more electrons to break free from their atoms, making it easier for electricity to flow through the material.

4. Can temperature changes cause significant changes in conductivity?

Yes, temperature changes can have a significant impact on conductivity, especially in materials with high temperature coefficients. Small changes in temperature can result in large changes in conductivity, making temperature control crucial in certain applications.

5. How do researchers study the effects of temperature on conductivity?

Researchers typically use conductance measurements to study the effects of temperature on conductivity. This involves measuring the resistance of a material at different temperatures and plotting the data to determine the relationship between temperature and conductivity. Other techniques, such as thermoelectric power and thermal conductivity measurements, can also be used to study the effects of temperature on conductivity.