General relativity vs quantum field theory

In summary, the field theories of general relativity and quantum field theory have several differences including the type of field, the relationship between fields, and what aspects of physics they cover. While both fields are important, they have different focuses and are not yet unified into one theory.
Urkel
Hi,
I am curious about the following and I aim these questions to the people who do general relativity and uantum field theory over there.
What is the difference between field theory of general relativity and field theory of quantum field theory? Is the former only for study of gravitation while the latter covers broader scope, including quantum theory of gravitation?
Are mathematics subjects like differential geometry, manifold, topology and the likes are that needed and useful for quantum field theory (while to my knowledge these mathematics are mandatory to study GR)?
In particular, do condensed matter theorists indeed need these mathematics to study high level and rather abstract "types" of condensed matter physics like fractional statistics, anyon, fractional quantum Hall effects,etc?
I am quite surprised to hear that many people say that quantum field theory unifies relativity and quantum mechanics, but which relativity? If it is the special one, then I guess quantum field theorists need no bother about general relativity, which I can't believe!
Conversely, since general relativity, if I'm not mistaken, is still classical physics stuff, then experts on these need not deal with quantum field theory (since the former deals more with theory of space of time in gravitation than field theory in general as the latter does)?
Please enlighten me. Thanks.

regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum field theory unifies special relativity with quantum mechanics, however does not deal with gravity. This isn't to say that some people feel there is no need to bother with gravity-- it is just that we have not found a way to unify gravity with quantum theory. This, the search for a unified theory of gravity, is an active area of research.

Here is a comparison between the fields in GR and QFT:
GR
1.) The field is the metric (a second rank tensor field)
2.) The field determines the geometry of spacetime
3.) There is a relationship between the metric and the stress energy tensor given by Einstien's equation.
4.) The field is NOT an operator.
5.) The field never obeys the laws of QM but obeys the laws of SR at freely falling points.
6.) This is a theory of space, time, and gravity. It does not tell us anything about the fundamental nature of leptons, quarks and the strong, electromagnetic, and weak interactions.
QFT
1.) There are scalar, spinor, and vector fields corresponding to spin 0, 1/2 and 1 fields.
2.) The field is defined over fixed Minskowski geometry. Particles arise as exctied states of the fields.
3.) The relationship between fields is given by the interaction terms in the Lagrangian of the fields.
4.) The field is an operator on a Fock space. The field creates and destoys particles when it acts on elements of a fock space.
5.) The field obeys the laws of QM and SR everywhere.
6.) This is a theory of the fundamental nature of leptons, quarks and the strong, electromagnetic, and weak interactions. It does not tell us anything about space, time, and gravity.

It would be nice to have a single theory of space, time, all 4 forces, leptons and quarks. But no such theory exists yet.

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It describes how massive objects affect the curvature of space and time, and how this curvature influences the motion of other objects.

2. What is quantum field theory?

Quantum field theory is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity. It describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, including how they interact with each other through fundamental forces.

3. What is the main difference between general relativity and quantum field theory?

The main difference between general relativity and quantum field theory is the scale at which they operate. General relativity deals with the laws of physics at a large scale, such as the motion of planets and galaxies, while quantum field theory deals with the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

4. Can general relativity and quantum field theory be reconciled?

Currently, there is no unified theory that combines general relativity and quantum field theory. The two theories have different mathematical frameworks and principles, making it difficult to reconcile them. However, many scientists are working towards finding a theory of quantum gravity that could potentially merge the two theories.

5. What are some applications of general relativity and quantum field theory?

General relativity is used to understand the behavior of massive objects, such as black holes and the expansion of the universe. Quantum field theory is essential in understanding the microscopic world and has practical applications in fields such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum computing.