Cartesian Product syntax in dictionary order relation definition

In summary, the dictionary order relation on A x B is defined as a_1 \ x \ b_1 < a_2 \ x \ b_2 if a_1 <_A a_2, or if a_1 = a_2 and b_1 <_B b_2. This is similar to how words are sorted alphabetically, with the first element being compared first and only moving on to the second if the first elements match. This notation may differ from previous examples for clarity.
Diffy
Definition. Suppose that A and B are two sets with order relations [tex]<_A[/tex] and [tex]<_B[/tex] respectively. Define an order relation < on A x B by defining [tex]a_1 \ x \ b_1 < a_2 \ x \ b_2 [/tex] if [tex] a_1 <_A a_2 [/tex], or if [tex] a_1 = a_2[/tex] and [tex] b_1 <_B b_2[/tex]. It is called the dictionary order relation on A X B.

OK. I think I am just confused by the syntax here. Up to this point Munkres has used (a , b) to denote an element of A x B. I think here he wants [tex] a_1 \ x \ b_1 [/tex] to be what I am used to being [tex] (a_1 , b_1 ) [/tex]

I think possibly the reason he changed notation, is that in an order relation (a , b) = { x| a < x < b} and he doesn't want us to get confused.

I just need verification.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose set A is (1,2,3) while set B is (a,b,c). Members of A and B do not compare.

The reason this is called dictionary order is because this is essentially the way we sort words. Suppose you have two words. First you compare the first letter in each word to each other; game over if these letters differ. You only go on to the second letter if the first letters match. You go on to the third if the second letters match, and so on.

Now back to the original example. With this ordering, (1,b) < (1,c) < (2,a) (for example).

Yes, you are correct. The notation a_1 \ x \ b_1 is used to represent the element (a_1, b_1) in the Cartesian product A x B. This notation is commonly used to avoid confusion with the notation (a, b) which is used to represent an open interval in an order relation. So, in this case, (a_1, b_1) is just a different way of representing the same element in A x B. This is just a matter of notation and does not change the definition or the concept of the dictionary order relation. It is simply a way of denoting the elements in the Cartesian product while avoiding confusion with other notations.

1. What is a Cartesian product?

A Cartesian product is a mathematical operation that combines two sets of elements to form a new set. It is denoted by the symbol "x" and is commonly used in set theory and combinatorics.

2. What is the syntax for Cartesian product in dictionary order relation definition?

The syntax for Cartesian product in dictionary order relation definition is (A x B), where A and B are sets. This means that the Cartesian product of A and B is a set of ordered pairs, where the first element of each pair comes from A and the second element comes from B.

3. How is dictionary order related to Cartesian product?

Dictionary order is a way of ordering elements in a set based on their numerical or alphabetical values. In Cartesian product, the elements are ordered in a similar way, with the first element of each pair being the primary key and the second element being the secondary key.

4. What is the significance of dictionary order in Cartesian product?

The use of dictionary order in Cartesian product helps establish a unique ordering for the elements in the resulting set. This allows for easier identification, comparison, and manipulation of the elements within the set.

5. How is Cartesian product used in real-world applications?

Cartesian product has various applications in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and data analysis. It is commonly used in relational databases, combinatorial problems, and probability theory. In real-world scenarios, Cartesian product can be used to find all possible combinations of items or to establish relationships between different sets of data.