Help finding equation of the tangent line to the graph

In summary, the problem is to find the equation of the tangent line to the graph of x^2 - xy + y^2 = 19 at the point (3,-2). The steps involved are taking the derivative using the product rule, substituting the values of x and y, and solving for the slope. The final answer is y+2=8/7(x-3).
hauk-gwai

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the tangent line to the graph of x^2 - xy + y^2 = 19 (where y=y(x)) at (3,-2).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, this is what I did:
d/dx(x^2-xy+y^2) = (19)d/dx

2x*dx/dx-dy/dx+dy/dx+2y(dy/dx)=0

2x+2y(dy/dx)=0

And I am stuck, the answer to this question is:
y+2=8/7(x-3)

and I don't know how to get the slope.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you have your values of x and y, (3,-2). Sub that into the 2x+2y(dy/dx)=0 you got to solve for dy/dx, then you have the gradient of the tangent. Now use the gradient-point form of a straight line to find the equation of the tangent.

hauk-gwai said:

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the tangent line to the graph of x^2 - xy + y^2 = 19 (where y=y(x)) at (3,-2).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, this is what I did:
d/dx(x^2-xy+y^2) = (19)d/dx

2x*dx/dx-dy/dx+dy/dx+2y(dy/dx)=0
d(x^2)/dx= 2x and d(y^2)/dx= 2y(dy/dx) but d(-xy)/dx is NOT -dy/dx+ dy/dx!

2x+2y(dy/dx)=0

And I am stuck, the answer to this question is:
y+2=8/7(x-3)

and I don't know how to get the slope.

I am pretty sure I got the x^2 and the y^2 part right.

I am just having trouble taking the deriv of the bolded part:
x^2-xy+y^2=19

Do I apply the product rule for the d/dx(-xy)?

Yes! It's a product, isn't it?

Yeah, but the thing is, I tried applying the product rule, and my results were different, I answer did not match with the answer key, so somewhere within the product rule, I screwed up somewhere, so how do you take d/dx(-xy)?

The product rule:
d/dx(u v)
= (du/dx) v + u (dv/dx)

In this case, uv = xy, so ... ?

1. What is the equation of the tangent line to a given point on a graph?

The equation of the tangent line to a given point on a graph is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do I find the slope of the tangent line to a graph?

To find the slope of the tangent line to a graph, you can use the derivative of the function at the given point. Alternatively, you can use the slope formula: m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are points on the tangent line.

3. Can the equation of the tangent line change for different points on the same graph?

Yes, the equation of the tangent line can change for different points on the same graph. This is because the slope of the tangent line and the y-intercept can vary depending on the point chosen.

4. Is the equation of the tangent line the same as the equation of the graph at a given point?

No, the equation of the tangent line and the equation of the graph at a given point are not the same. The equation of the graph represents the entire curve, while the equation of the tangent line only represents the slope and y-intercept at a specific point on the curve.

5. Can I find the equation of the tangent line to a graph at a point using only its coordinates?

Yes, you can find the equation of the tangent line to a graph at a point using its coordinates. You will need to use the slope formula or the derivative to find the slope of the tangent line, and then use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the line.