Exploring the Impact of Slowing Electron Orbit Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of slowing down the speed of an electron's orbit in an atom and how this relates to classical and quantum physics. The suggestion is made to read about relativity and its effects on time in order to better understand this concept.
foremanator
Hi there
I have a question regarding the attom
Not saying its possible but if it was what would happen to matter if you could slow the speed of the electron orbit?
I am not into physics but very curious.
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
foremanator said:
Hi there
Not saying its possible but if it was what would happen to matter if you could slow the speed of the electron orbit?
Thanks in advance

It appears that you may still be holding on to the notion of the classical orbit for an atom. You might want to start by first reading the FAQ in the General Physics forum and see if you still want to ask this question.

Zz.

foremanator said:
Hi there
Thanks in advance

As ZapperZ pointed out, quantum physics says there is no real "orbiting" involved. However, if you want to slow down everything that happens in an atom, you can! Relativity says that just moving quickly slows down time for you. So get an atom and move it around at a speed close to the speed of light, and you'll have an atom where everything "inside" it happens more slowly. You'll find that nothing terrible happens. Go learn about relativity.

1. What is the concept of slowing electron orbit speed?

Slowing electron orbit speed refers to the decrease in the speed at which electrons move around the nucleus of an atom. This can occur due to various factors such as an increase in the atomic size or the presence of external forces.

2. How does slowing electron orbit speed affect the properties of matter?

Slowing electron orbit speed can have a significant impact on the properties of matter. It can alter the chemical and physical properties of substances, such as their melting and boiling points, conductivity, and reactivity.

3. What are the potential applications of studying slowing electron orbit speed?

Studying slowing electron orbit speed can have various applications in fields such as material science, electronics, and pharmaceuticals. It can help in understanding the behavior and characteristics of different substances and developing new materials with specific properties.

4. Can slowing electron orbit speed lead to the creation of new elements?

No, slowing electron orbit speed does not lead to the creation of new elements. It can only affect the properties of existing elements by modifying the behavior of their electrons.

5. How can scientists explore the impact of slowing electron orbit speed?

Scientists can explore the impact of slowing electron orbit speed through various experiments and simulations. They can also use advanced tools and techniques such as X-ray crystallography and spectroscopy to study the changes in the electronic structure of atoms and molecules.