Solving Exercise 8.9 from ECE 3025 Lecture Notes

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a problem involving switches in a transmission line. They have tried using a voltage divider effect but their answer does not make sense. The student is hoping for someone to figure out the solution but is reminded that the forum does not provide answers and only offers tutorial help if the student shows their work.
r3dxp

Homework Statement

http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?image=eightss5.png

Homework Equations

I have the lecture notes that is 14pages long that covers this particular chapter and the lecture note provided by my professor does not mention anything with switchs in the lecture note whatsoever.. so I am confused on how to solve this problem. the link to the full lecture note/problems is..
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~bpark6/ECE/ECE3025/Tline2008_08.pdf
The problem in the imageshack.us is exercise number 8.9. THanks a lot in advance.

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I'm afraid I'm only going to be of a little bit of help here, but hopefully it gets you going more. Immediately after the first switch is closed, what do you have for a system? You have the 20V source with output impedance Zo, and it is starting to drive a pulse down the lefthand transmission line, right? Would you get some sort of a voltage divider effect between the output Zo of the source, and the input Zo of the TL? What could you say is the amplitude of the pulse as it starts propagating down the lefthand TL?

thanks berkeman. i tried that but my answer does not make sense. i believe the numbers are way off.
can anybody figure out the solution to this problem? Hope to hear from anybody soon. Thanks in advance.

r3dxp said:
thanks berkeman. i tried that but my answer does not make sense. i believe the numbers are way off.
can anybody figure out the solution to this problem? Hope to hear from anybody soon. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, that's not how the PF works for homework and coursework questions. We do not give out answers or do your work for you. We can offer tutorial help as long as you show us your work.

Show us what you have done so far -- why does your initial answer not make sense?

1. How do I approach solving Exercise 8.9 from ECE 3025 Lecture Notes?

The best way to approach solving Exercise 8.9 is to carefully read the problem statement and make sure you understand what is being asked. Then, review the relevant material from the lecture notes and any related concepts. Break down the problem into smaller, manageable parts and use problem-solving strategies such as drawing diagrams or creating equations to help you solve each part.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Exercise 8.9?

One common mistake is not carefully reading the problem statement and missing important details. Another mistake is not showing all of your work, which can make it difficult for the reader to understand your thought process. It is also important to check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formulas.

3. How can I check my solution for Exercise 8.9?

You can check your solution by plugging your answers back into the original problem and seeing if they satisfy all of the given conditions. You can also ask a friend or classmate to review your work and provide feedback. Additionally, you can consult with the professor or teaching assistant for further clarification.

4. Can I use a calculator or other tools to solve Exercise 8.9?

It depends on the instructions given for the exercise. Some problems may specifically state that a calculator or other tools are allowed, while others may require you to solve the problem by hand. It is always important to follow the instructions given and show all of your work, regardless of whether or not you use a calculator.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for exercises like Exercise 8.9?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills is to practice regularly and work on a variety of problems. You can also seek help from professors, teaching assistants, or tutors if you are struggling with a particular concept. Additionally, reviewing and understanding the relevant material from lectures and textbooks can also help improve your problem-solving abilities.