Is generating electricity from subway draft efficient?

In summary, the Seoul subway authorities are testing wind generators to be placed outside subway vents to generate power. The idea is that since the draft created by the subway system goes out the vents anyway, why not let the wind generator harness that draft? However, the generators are not very efficient and it is difficult to use the power that is generated in bursts. Additionally, the subway trains move air to make way for their passage, so this idea of using the air to generate power does not make much sense.
Newbie2
I ran across this article from a Korean newspaper. (don't have any link to an English translation of the article)

The subway authorities in Seoul will be testing wind generators that will be placed right outside subway vents.
The idea appears to be that since the enormous draft created by subways end up going out the vents anyway, why not let the draft go through wind generators?

Does this make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
As a power generation no - you are ultimately adding resistance to the movement of the trains which you will pay back in mor eelectricicty to the motors.
Also by reducing the flow through the vents you reduce the amount of ventilation so will have to either enlarge the ventws or add fans.

It's also difficult to use the power that is generated in bursts when a train goes past.
It might be worth it if you have local equipement (eg weather / air polution monitors) that you need to power but don't want the expense of running power lines to.

does not make sense here...
I agree with mgb..trains move air to make way for their passage...sounds like an unlikely idea, but maybe somebody has a magic solution. Maybe they figure the air is heated in the subway system and therefore natural convection could add some efficiency...I don't believe that myself but it's the only thing I can think of...

It would make a LOT more sense for them to turn their motors into generators when breaking and see if they can recover some power while slowing...

Naty1 said:
It would make a LOT more sense for them to turn their motors into generators when breaking and see if they can recover some power while slowing...

Almost all DC powered subway trains do this. It's not hugely efficent but it solves the bigger problem of what to do with all the energy otherwise. It's hard to cool brakes on a subway train in a tunnel with limited ventilation.

Then it might make sense to make bigger airways and reduce pressure so pushing air would not rob momentum when trains come in for a stop...since that energy is being used to power generators...
sounds like a "cold fusion" idea to me...

I agree. Get the air out of the way. Using that air to drive a wind turbine would create a back pressure in tunnel conditions; effectively causing a higher density air environment.

1. Is generating electricity from subway draft a viable source of renewable energy?

Yes, generating electricity from subway draft is considered a viable source of renewable energy. It utilizes the kinetic energy from moving trains to generate electricity, which can then be harnessed and used to power various systems and devices.

2. How does generating electricity from subway draft work?

Electricity is generated from subway draft through the use of regenerative braking systems. When a train brakes, it releases energy in the form of heat. This heat is then converted into electricity and fed back into the power grid. This process is known as regenerative braking and it helps to reduce energy consumption and costs.

3. Is generating electricity from subway draft more efficient than traditional methods?

Yes, generating electricity from subway draft is considered more efficient than traditional methods of electricity generation. This is because it utilizes existing infrastructure and resources, resulting in lower costs and a smaller carbon footprint.

4. What are the benefits of generating electricity from subway draft?

There are several benefits to generating electricity from subway draft. It helps to reduce energy costs, decrease reliance on fossil fuels, and lower carbon emissions. It also provides a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly source of electricity.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to generating electricity from subway draft?

While generating electricity from subway draft has many benefits, there are also some challenges and limitations to consider. These include the initial costs of implementing the necessary infrastructure, potential disruptions to train schedules, and the need for proper maintenance and upkeep of the equipment.