Change in fluid levels in a manometer given a pressure change

In summary: P2 - 10^5 Pa)/(13.6 g/cm^3)(9.8 m/s^2)Now, we can plug in the given value for ΔP and solve for h:h = (11.3 cm H2O)(1 m/100 cm)(1 cm^3/13.6 g)(1 g/1000 kg)(1 kg/9.8 m/s^2) = 0.0008 m = 0.08 cmTherefore, the fluid level in the manometer would rise by 0.08 cm if mercury were used instead of oil.In summary, to solve for the height of the
rubytuesday
I have a test tomorrow and I've tried this problem a million times and it won't come out! I got it right when I turned it in, but I cannot for the life of me remember what I did! Help!

Homework Statement

A manometer using oil (density 0.86 g/cm^3) as a fluid is connected to an air tank. Suddenly the pressure in the tank increases by 0.83 cm Hg.
a) How much does the fluid level rise in the side of the manometer that is open to the atmosphere?
b) What would your answer be if the manometer used mercury (density = 13.6 g/cm^3) instead?

Homework Equations

P2= P1 + [tex]\rho[/tex]gh

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a couple of ways:
[tex]\rho[/tex]gh = P2 - P1
Assuming that P1 is atmospheric pressure, so = 10^5 Pa
(0.00086 kg)(9.8 m/s)(h) = (0.00086)(9.8 m/s)(0.0083 kg/m^2*) - 10^5
= -1.19 e7 m so -1.19 e5 cm? definitely very wrong.

*not sure about this conversion

I kind of remember using the mercury with the equation at some point, so I tried playing with that but it didn't come out then, either. Also, I think the gravity is supposed to cancel out somewhere.

PHg = (13.6 g/cm3)(9.8 m/s)(h) = Poil = (0.86)(9.8)(0.83)
Gravity cancels out, so
13.6h = (0.86)(0.83)
h = 19.05 m
Then I thought maybe I could plug that in somewhere, but I can't figure out where.

I'm frustrated and freaking out. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org

I understand your frustration and anxiety about the upcoming test. Let's take a step-by-step approach to solving this problem.

First, let's review the formula for pressure in a fluid: P = ρgh, where P is pressure, ρ is density, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid column.

a) We are given the density of oil (ρ = 0.86 g/cm^3) and the change in pressure in the tank (ΔP = 0.83 cm Hg). We can convert the change in pressure to units of cm H2O by using the conversion factor 1 cm Hg = 13.6 cm H2O. This gives us ΔP = 0.83 cm Hg x (13.6 cm H2O/1 cm Hg) = 11.3 cm H2O.

Now, we can set up the equation P1 + ρgh = P2, where P1 is atmospheric pressure (10^5 Pa), P2 is the pressure in the tank, and h is the height of the fluid column in the manometer. Substituting in the values, we get:

10^5 Pa + (0.86 g/cm^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(h) = P2

To solve for h, we need to rearrange the equation to isolate h:

h = (P2 - 10^5 Pa)/(0.86 g/cm^3)(9.8 m/s^2)

Now, we can plug in the given value for ΔP to solve for h:

h = (11.3 cm H2O)(1 m/100 cm)(1 cm^3/0.86 g)(1 g/1000 kg)(1 kg/9.8 m/s^2) = 0.0013 m = 0.13 cm

Therefore, the fluid level in the manometer will rise by 0.13 cm.

b) To solve for the height of the fluid column if the manometer used mercury (density = 13.6 g/cm^3), we can use the same equation P1 + ρgh = P2 but with the new value for density:

10^5 Pa + (13.6 g/cm^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(h) = P2

Again

Hello, it sounds like you have been working hard on this problem and I can understand your frustration. Let's take a step back and break down the problem.

First, let's define our variables:
P1 = initial pressure (atmospheric pressure)
P2 = final pressure (pressure in the tank)
\rho = density of the fluid (given as 0.86 g/cm^3 for oil and 13.6 g/cm^3 for mercury)
g = acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2)
h = change in fluid level in the manometer (what we are trying to find)

Now, let's look at the equation you have correctly identified:
P2= P1 + \rhogh

This is known as the hydrostatic equation and it relates pressure (P) to density (\rho), gravity (g), and height (h). We can use this equation to solve for h.

a) For the first part of the problem, we are given that the pressure in the tank (P2) increases by 0.83 cm Hg. We know that the density of oil is 0.86 g/cm^3, so we can plug these values into the equation:
P2 = (0.86 g/cm^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(h) + P1
0.83 cm Hg = (0.86 g/cm^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(h) + 10^5 Pa
Note: we need to convert cm Hg to Pa in order to have consistent units.
Solving for h, we get:
h = (0.83 cm Hg - 10^5 Pa)/(0.86 g/cm^3)(9.8 m/s^2)
h = 0.0000083 m = 0.0083 cm

Therefore, the fluid level in the side of the manometer that is open to the atmosphere will rise by 0.0083 cm.

b) For the second part of the problem, we are asked to consider what would happen if the manometer used mercury instead of oil. We can use the same equation, but with the density of mercury (13.6 g/cm^3):
P2 = (13.6 g/cm^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(h) + P1
0.83 cm Hg = (13.6 g

1. How does a manometer measure changes in fluid levels?

A manometer measures changes in fluid levels by using a U-shaped tube filled with a liquid, usually water or mercury. When pressure is applied to one end of the tube, the liquid moves to the other end, creating a difference in fluid levels that can be measured.

2. What causes changes in fluid levels in a manometer?

The changes in fluid levels in a manometer are caused by a pressure difference between the two ends of the tube. When pressure is applied to one end, the fluid will move to the other end until the pressures are equal.

3. How can the pressure change be calculated from the change in fluid levels?

The pressure change can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure change, ρ is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the change in fluid levels in the manometer. This formula is based on the principle of hydrostatics.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a manometer measurement?

The accuracy of a manometer measurement can be affected by factors such as the type and density of the liquid used, the sensitivity of the measuring device, and any air bubbles or leaks in the system. It is important to carefully control these variables in order to obtain accurate measurements.

5. How is a manometer used in scientific experiments or industrial processes?

A manometer is commonly used in scientific experiments or industrial processes to measure and monitor changes in pressure. It is often used in conjunction with other instruments, such as pressure gauges, to provide a more precise and comprehensive understanding of the system being studied or controlled.