Calculating current in series circuit

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the voltage when a switch is closed in a circuit. The correct answer is 5.77 volts and the total resistance in the circuit needs to be taken into account when calculating the voltage. The internal resistance of the battery should also be considered when calculating the total voltage reading.
tweety1234

Homework Statement

can anyone please guide me on how to do question 3b? I don't seem to get the right answer. how do i calculate the voltage when the switch is closed if i don't know what the current is?

btw the right answer is 5.77 volts

Homework Equations

v=IR?

Attachments

• PHY2January2006 (1).doc
    262.1 KB · Views: 304
Physics news on Phys.org
You're given all the information needed to calculate the current.

Doc Al said:
You're given all the information needed to calculate the current.

okay so would it be like this ;

6/ 10 = 0.6 Amps

but can this value be used for the calculation when the switch is closed?

tweety1234 said:
okay so would it be like this ;

6/ 10 = 0.6 Amps
No. What's the total resistance in the circuit?

Doc Al said:
No. What's the total resistance in the circuit?

oh right, but i thought you don't include the internal resistance of the battery if the switch is open ?

6/10.4 = 0.577

0.577 x 0.4 = 0.23 volts

? is this correct?

Last edited:
oh i got it now , was suppose to multiply by 10 instead of 0.4

thanks for the help

tweety1234 said:
oh right, but i thought you don't include the internal resistance of the battery if the switch is open ?
This problem asks for the voltmeter reading when the switched is closed.

6/10.4 = 0.577
That's the current.

0577 x 0.4 = 0.23 volts
That's the voltage drop due to the internal resistance. But what's the full voltage reading across the battery terminals? (Does that 0.23 volts add or subtract from the battery's emf?)

1. What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is an electrical circuit in which the components are connected in a single loop, so that the current flows through each component in the same direction.

2. How do you calculate the total current in a series circuit?

To calculate the total current in a series circuit, you need to use Ohm's law, which states that the current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R), or I = V/R.

3. What happens to the current in a series circuit when more components are added?

When more components are added to a series circuit, the total resistance increases, which in turn decreases the total current in the circuit. This is because the current has to flow through each component, and the added resistance makes it more difficult for the current to flow.

4. Can the current be different at different points in a series circuit?

No, the current in a series circuit is the same at all points. This is because there is only one path for the current to flow, so it cannot split or change in value.

5. What is the effect of increasing the voltage in a series circuit?

If the voltage is increased in a series circuit, the current will also increase, as long as the resistance stays the same. This is because Ohm's law states that the current is directly proportional to the voltage, so an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current.