The exchange particle for gravity: the graviton?

As you stated, the statement about the photon being the exchange particle for the Weak interaction is incorrect. It should be the W and Z bosons.
krnlg
As far as I can see, the exchange particle involved in gravitational forces is the graviton. However, in the markscheme for both the original and revised EDEXCEL A-Level Physics PHY3 Topics Paper (topic C) it states that it is the photon.
Which is correct, or are both correct? Why is there this difference?

The question states: "List the other fundamental interactions. Circle the one for which the photon is the exchange particle."
The markscheme says Weak, Electromagnetic, Gravitational, Gravitational Circled.

I thought the photon was exchanged between two electrons interacting, which is what the Letts revision textbook says. Is this in fact a gravitational interaction? Surely its electrostatic!

Im guessing I should learn it to be the photon, but this seems strange as most other sources I've found say its the graviton - including the revision textbook which covers the EDEXCEL syllabus. :confused:

Can anyone help? :cry: Thanks! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
krnlg said:
As far as I can see, the exchange particle involved in gravitational forces is the graviton. However, in the markscheme for both the original and revised EDEXCEL A-Level Physics PHY3 Topics Paper (topic C) it states that it is the photon.
Which is correct, or are both correct? Why is there this difference?

The question states: "List the other fundamental interactions. Circle the one for which the photon is the exchange particle."
The markscheme says Weak, Electromagnetic, Gravitational, Gravitational Circled.

I thought the photon was exchanged between two electrons interacting, which is what the Letts revision textbook says. Is this in fact a gravitational interaction? Surely its electrostatic!

Im guessing I should learn it to be the photon, but this seems strange as most other sources I've found say its the graviton - including the revision textbook which covers the EDEXCEL syllabus. :confused:

Can anyone help? :cry: Thanks! :biggrin:

Your confusion is justified.

Gravitons, if they exist, is the hypthetical carrier of the gravitational interaction. Photons are the carrier of electromagnetic interactions. If your test is indicating that gravity is carrried by photons, then this is wrong. You should alert someone of authority about this error. If you get nowhere, or they simply dismiss you, write back.

Zz.

The specification for the topic doesn't mention the graviton at all. However it does still seem incorrect to use the photon instead. I have contacted EDEXCEL regarding this matter.
Thanks for the help :)

And what about Weak, is that circled too? Certainly the statement "The photon is the exchange particle for the Weak interaction" is false as it stands.

selfAdjoint said:
And what about Weak, is that circled too? Certainly the statement "The photon is the exchange particle for the Weak interaction" is false as it stands.

Only gravitational is circled.

1. What is the graviton?

The graviton is a hypothetical particle that is believed to be the exchange particle for the force of gravity. It is predicted by theories of quantum gravity, but has not yet been directly observed or confirmed.

2. How does the graviton work?

The graviton is thought to work by mediating the force of gravity between particles. Just like photons are the exchange particles for the electromagnetic force, gravitons are thought to be the carriers of the gravitational force.

3. Can gravitons be detected?

Currently, gravitons cannot be directly detected. This is because their predicted energy levels are extremely low and they are expected to interact very weakly with matter. However, scientists are working on ways to indirectly detect their presence through high-energy experiments.

4. How does the existence of gravitons relate to the theory of general relativity?

The theory of general relativity, which explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime, does not include gravitons. However, the theory of quantum mechanics, which explains the behavior of particles at a microscopic level, predicts the existence of gravitons. The search for a theory that combines both general relativity and quantum mechanics, called a theory of quantum gravity, is ongoing.

5. What is the significance of discovering the graviton?

If the graviton is discovered, it would confirm the existence of a quantum theory of gravity and greatly advance our understanding of the fundamental forces of nature. It could also potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in areas such as space travel and communication.