Intensity of Double Slit Pattern

In summary, the intensity of the double slit pattern can be explained using the formula I=4Icos^2(phi/2) or A=2Ecos(phi/2). This formula can be derived geometrically or algebraically by considering the complex amplitudes from each slit. The magnitude squared of the sum of these amplitudes results in the formula for intensity.
lha08

Homework Statement

Could anyone help me to explain how the intensity of the double Slit pattern works because I'm looking at the formula and I'm really confused...

Homework Equations

I=4Icos^2(phi/2)
A=2Ecos(phi/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What specifically do you want explained? The formula is easy to derive geometrically using the phasor diagram. Or you can do it algebraically: since only the phase difference matters, let the complex amplitude from slit one be just A (a real number). Then the complex amplitude from slit two will be Ae. The sum is therefore A(1 + e) = A(1 + cosφ + isinφ), and the magnitude squared is A²(1 + cos²φ + 2cosφ + sin²φ) = A²(2 + 2cosφ) = 2A²(2cos²(φ/2)) = 4A²cos²(φ/2).

Last edited:

The intensity of the double slit pattern is determined by the interference of two coherent light waves passing through two slits. This interference results in a pattern of bright and dark fringes on a screen behind the slits. The intensity of the pattern is strongest at the center of the pattern, where the two waves are in phase and constructively interfere, and decreases as you move away from the center.

The formula you mentioned, I=4Icos^2(phi/2), is known as the intensity equation and it describes the relationship between the intensity of the pattern (I) and the phase difference between the two waves (phi). This equation shows that the intensity of the pattern is directly proportional to the square of the cosine of half the phase difference.

The second equation, A=2Ecos(phi/2), relates the amplitude of the pattern (A) to the electric field amplitude (E) and the phase difference (phi). This equation shows that as the phase difference increases, the amplitude of the pattern decreases.

In summary, the intensity of the double slit pattern is determined by the interference of two coherent waves, and is strongest at the center of the pattern where the waves are in phase. The intensity equation and the amplitude equation can be used to quantitatively describe the behavior of the pattern.

1. What is the intensity of a double slit pattern?

The intensity of a double slit pattern is a measure of the brightness or amplitude of the interference pattern created by two slits diffracting light waves.

2. How is the intensity of a double slit pattern calculated?

The intensity of a double slit pattern can be calculated using the equation I = I0cos2(θ/2), where I0 is the maximum intensity and θ is the angle of diffraction.

3. What factors affect the intensity of a double slit pattern?

The intensity of a double slit pattern depends on the wavelength of light, the distance between the two slits, and the distance from the slits to the screen. It also varies with the angle of observation and the width of the slits.

4. How does the intensity of a double slit pattern change with distance?

The intensity of a double slit pattern decreases as the distance from the slits to the screen increases. This is due to the spreading out of the waves as they travel a longer distance, resulting in a wider interference pattern with lower intensity.

5. Can the intensity of a double slit pattern be altered?

Yes, the intensity of a double slit pattern can be altered by changing the distance between the slits, the distance from the slits to the screen, or the wavelength of light. It can also be affected by using different types of slits, such as wider or narrower slits, or by introducing a diffraction grating.