Ingredient in aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid

• Thread starter lha08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the active ingredient in aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid and a 2.51 g sample of it reacted with 27.36 mL of 0.5106 M NaOH. Addition of 13.68 mL of 0.5106 M HCl to the mixture with pH=3.48 produced a mixture with pH=3.48. The molar mass of acetylasalicylic acid and Ka value can be calculated using the volume of NaOH and the sample mass. However, due to the fast hydrolyzation of ASA, the most reliable method for titration is back titration.
lha08

Homework Statement

The active ingredient in aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid. A 2.51 g sample of acetysalicylic acid required 27.36 mL of a 0.5106 M NaOH for complete reaction. Addition of 13.68 mL of 0.5106 M HCl to the flask containing the aspirin and sodium hydroxide produced a mixture with pH=3.48. Find the molar mass of acetylasalicylic acid and Ka value.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure what to do but first i found the number of moles of acetysalicylic acid and NaOH (which is OH-) which were both 0.014 moles and they both have an equivalence point of 0 since it goes to complete reaction...then i get kinda lost..i did a neutralization with C9H8O4 which is acetysalicylic acid with OH- and found the Molar mass of C9H8O4- to be 0.014/v M because we don't know the total volume...then i get lost...

Physics news on Phys.org

At the point where you have 'complete reaction' of the NaOH with ASA, the number of moles of sodium hydroxide equals the number of moles of ASA. So you know moles and the mass (2.51g). Calculate the FW from that. Volume for the base is 27.36 mL. That is the only important volume in your problem.

Remember that pH = -log[H+] and that Ka = [ASA-][H+]/[ASA]

Any help?

chemisttree said:
At the point where you have 'complete reaction' of the NaOH with ASA, the number of moles of sodium hydroxide equals the number of moles of ASA. So you know moles and the mass (2.51g). Calculate the FW from that. Volume for the base is 27.36 mL. That is the only important volume in your problem.

Remember that pH = -log[H+] and that Ka = [ASA-][H+]/[ASA]

Any help?
well what i did is:
C9H8O4 + OH- --> C9H8O4- +H20..from that i found that the moles is 0.015 and since they're equal, both reactants cancel and all that is left is 0.015 moles of C9H8O4- (which i then divided by 27.36 mL converted into liters).

then what? do i do a buffer with C9H8O4- or do i use the HCl onto that? Thanks.

I can't see 0.015 moles here.

Once you will know correct number of moles, combine it with the sample mass to calculate molar mass.

Note, that HCl added has identical concentration with NaOH, and that volume used is exactly half that of NaOH. Do you know phH of acid neutralized only in half?

Finally, when you will solve the question, you should forget it as fast as possible. ASA doesn't react with NaOH in the way whoever wrote the question imagines. It hydrolizes fast enough to make this titration difficult if not impossible. The most reliable method calls for back titration - addition of excess NaOH, hydrolyzis (they don't react 1:1 then) and titration of the excess HCl.

1. What is acetylsalicylic acid?

Acetylsalicylic acid, also known as aspirin, is a chemical compound commonly used as a pain reliever and fever reducer. It is also known for its anti-inflammatory and blood-thinning properties.

2. How is acetylsalicylic acid made?

Acetylsalicylic acid can be synthesized through a reaction between salicylic acid and acetic anhydride. This process involves the esterification of salicylic acid to form acetylsalicylic acid.

3. What are the uses of acetylsalicylic acid?

Acetylsalicylic acid is primarily used as a medication for pain and fever, but it can also be used for its anti-inflammatory and blood-thinning effects. It is commonly used to treat headaches, muscle pain, and arthritis.

4. Are there any side effects of acetylsalicylic acid?

Like any medication, acetylsalicylic acid can have side effects. Some common side effects include stomach upset, heartburn, and allergic reactions. Long-term use can also increase the risk of bleeding and stomach ulcers.

5. Is acetylsalicylic acid safe for everyone to use?

No, acetylsalicylic acid may not be safe for everyone to use. It should not be given to children under the age of 16 due to the risk of Reye's syndrome. It should also be avoided by those with bleeding disorders, asthma, or allergies to salicylates. It is important to consult with a doctor before taking acetylsalicylic acid.