Proving the Finiteness of Fermat Primes

• Thread starter chhitiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primes
In summary, the conversation discusses the form of Fermat numbers and how they can be factored as (6a+1)*(6b+5). It is suggested that if it can be shown that all Fermat numbers after the largest Fermat prime are of the form 6N+5, where N is of the form 6ab+5a+b, and neither factor is 1, then it can be proven that the number of Fermat primes is finite. However, it is noted that this is a difficult problem and has not yet been proven.
chhitiz
for all fermat no.s, fi-1=[fi-1-1]2
all fermat no.s are of form 6Ni+5
Ni+1=6Ni2+8Ni+2
a no. of form 6N+5 is composite only when N is of form 6n1n2+5n1+n2
if we could assume that all fermat no.s after f4 are not prime,
that means all Nis are of form 6n1n2+5n1+n2, i>4
that means that either for any N if N is of form 6n1n2+5n1+n2, Ni+k is of same form, and the no.s in between are coincidentally, of the same form
OR
if f(Ni)=6Ni2+8Ni+2
some fk(Ni) is of form 6n1n2+5n1+n2
if either of these is proved to be true, it could be proved that no. of fermat primes are finite. am i making any sense at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
chhitiz said:
35 is composite and is of the form 6n+5. I had trouble getting it in the form 6*A*B +5*A + B but then found A=7, B = 0 fits as I was writing this. So my mistake to only quote that portion of your post.
6*0+5 = 5 = 2^2+1 = Fermat Prime 1 so [tex]N_{1} = 0[/tex]

6*0*0 +8*0 +2 = 2 so [tex]N_{2} = 2[/tex] check [tex]6*2+5 =2^{4} +1 = F_{2}[/tex]

6*2*2 +8*2 +2 = 42 so [tex]N_{3} = 42[/tex] check [tex]6*42+5 =2^{8} +1 = F_{3}[/tex]

6*42*42 +8*42 +2 = 2 so [tex]N_{4} = 10922[/tex] check [tex]6*2+5 =2^{2^16} +1 = F_{4}[/tex]

Continuing

[tex]N_{5} = 715827882[/tex] check [tex]6*N_{5}+5 =2^{32} +1 = F_{5}[/tex]

What you are saying is that since the number of Fermat primes is known to be finite, then the Fermat numbers after the largest Fermat prime are of the form [tex]6_{N}+5[/tex]
where N is [tex]6*(N_{i})^{2} + 8*N_{i} +2[/tex] where [tex]N_{i}[/tex] is the N of the prior Fermat number, and also of the form [tex]6*A*B + 5*A + B[/tex]. Did I understand you correctly?

What about Fermat Prime 0?

chhitiz said:
Ni+1=6Ni2+8Ni+2
if we could assume that all fermat no.s after f4 are not prime,
that means all Nis are of form 6n1n2+5n1+n2, i>4
that means that either for any N if N is of form 6n1n2+5n1+n2, Ni+k is of same form, and the no.s in between are coincidentally, of the same form
OR
if f(Ni)=6Ni2+8Ni+2
if either of these is proved to be true, it could be proved that no. of fermat primes are finite. am i making any sense at all?
I looked at this again and it doesn't make any sense since all integers N are of the form 6AB+5A+B. Just make either A or B zero. For instance N=12 is composite A = 0 B = 77 is the only solution of form 6AB + 5A + B. For some N, 6N+5 is prime; for other N, 6N+5 is composite.

ramsey2879 said:
35 is composite and is of the form 6n+5. I had trouble getting it in the form 6*A*B +5*A + B but then found A=7, B = 0 fits as I was writing this. So my mistake to only quote that portion of your post.
6*0+5 = 5 = 2^2+1 = Fermat Prime 1 so [tex]N_{1} = 0[/tex]

6*0*0 +8*0 +2 = 2 so [tex]N_{2} = 2[/tex] check [tex]6*2+5 =2^{4} +1 = F_{2}[/tex]

6*2*2 +8*2 +2 = 42 so [tex]N_{3} = 42[/tex] check [tex]6*42+5 =2^{8} +1 = F_{3}[/tex]

6*42*42 +8*42 +2 = 2 so [tex]N_{4} = 10922[/tex] check [tex]6*2+5 =2^{2^16} +1 = F_{4}[/tex]

Continuing

[tex]N_{5} = 715827882[/tex] check [tex]6*N_{5}+5 =2^{32} +1 = F_{5}[/tex]

What you are saying is that since the number of Fermat primes is known to be finite, then the Fermat numbers after the largest Fermat prime are of the form [tex]6_{N}+5[/tex]
where N is [tex]6*(N_{i})^{2} + 8*N_{i} +2[/tex] where [tex]N_{i}[/tex] is the N of the prior Fermat number, and also of the form [tex]6*A*B + 5*A + B[/tex]. Did I understand you correctly?

yes you did. also, n1 is always >0 and n2 is >=0

chhitiz said:
yes you did. also, n1 is always >0 and n2 is >=0

That statement is belied by the fact that there is no way to put 6*12+5 into the form without making n1 ZERO; yet 77 is clearly composite. So something is still amiss about your post here. Now if you could have shown that all numbers that are both of the form 6AB + 5A + B with A > 0 and of the form 6N + 5 are composite then I would have found something more than just banter. However, you can't for when A=1 and B = 6 we get a prime number which is 6*7 + 5. Therefore it is not enough to show that numbers of the form 6Ni + 5 are also of the form 6AB + 5A + B to show that such numbers are composite.

oh i am sorry, it's not 6n+5 that is in form of 6ab+5a+b.
the n is of that form.

chhitiz said:
oh i am sorry, it's not 6n+5 that is in form of 6ab+5a+b.
the n is of that form.

My mistake

Now I see what you are saying

all numbers 6*N + 5, when n is of the form 6ab + 5a + b, can be factored as (6a+1)*(6b+5) and are composite when neither term = 1.

To show that N is of the first form is in effect the same as factoring and would be a difficult problem.

The only salvation is that indeed if you can show that the N is of the appropriate form and neither of the factors is 1 then you obviously have a composite number.

Last edited:
yes. now i already tried all possible ways to express Ni+1 as 6n1n2+5n1+n2 for every Ni of the same form, and that is not possible. but it is still possible for some Ni+k. if we can show that, then we can show that fermat primes are finite.

chhitiz said:
yes. now i already tried all possible ways to express Ni+1 as 6n1n2+5n1+n2 for every Ni of the same form, and that is not possible. but it is still possible for some Ni+k. if we can show that, then we can show that fermat primes are finite.
Because [tex]F(i)[/tex] is prime for i = 1,2,3,4, it would not be surprising if k would have to be greater than 2. k=3 is possible since one factor could be 1 when F(4) is determined. However, it may be that
[tex]6N_{i}^2 + 8N_{i} + 2[/tex] no matter how many k times reiterated to form subsequent N could never be expressed by different terms using [tex]N_i[/tex] to determine the A and B of the form (6A+1)*(6B+5) for the value of F(i+k)).

ramsey2879 said:
Because [tex]F(i)[/tex] is prime for i = 1,2,3,4, it would not be surprising if k would have to be greater than 2. k=3 is possible since one factor could be 1 when F(4) is determined. However, it may be that
[tex]6N_{i}^2 + 8N_{i} + 2[/tex] no matter how many k times reiterated to form subsequent N could never be expressed by different terms using [tex]N_i[/tex] to determine the A and B of the form (6A+1)*(6B+5) for the value of F(i+k)).

yes i know. i just wish someone with enough resources and intelligence can determine what i can't. that is why i posted this.

is what i am saying highly improbable? somebody please comment.

chhitiz said:
If f(Ni)=6Ni2+8Ni+2
Have you tried substituting 6AB + 5A + B for [tex]N_{i}[/tex]?

ramsey2879 said:
Have you tried substituting 6AB + 5A + B for [tex]N_{i}[/tex]?

yes i have. but that is for the first of two possible scenarios. in what you have quoted i am implying that fk(Ni) or Ni+k as you would better have it, itself happens to be in the form of 6ab+5a+b. and in this case obviously, k>=5. that makes an expression of power 32. and to express even the 'k=5 expression' as 6ab+5a+b, i need to solve 17 equations with very large coefficients all of which must happen to have corresponding solutions.
as regards the first scenario, I've already checked Ni+1 and it doesn't hold.

chhitiz said:
yes i have. but that is for the first of two possible scenarios. in what you have quoted i am implying that fk(Ni) or Ni+k as you would better have it, itself happens to be in the form of 6ab+5a+b. and in this case obviously, k>=5. that makes an expression of power 32. and to express even the 'k=5 expression' as 6ab+5a+b, i need to solve 17 equations with very large coefficients all of which must happen to have corresponding solutions.
as regards the first scenario, I've already checked Ni+1 and it doesn't hold.

At first glance I think you may not need to worry about powers of 32 to start

A=0, B = 2 gives Ni for 2^4 +1

The largert power for 2^32 + 1 is 6^7(AB)^8 and because A = 0 There are only 9 terms to play with
N4 = B
N8 = 6*B^2+8*B+ 2
N16 = 6*(6*B^2+8*B+2)^2 +8*(6*B^2+8*B+2) +2
N32 = 6*(...)^2 +8*(...) + 2

If you can put N32 into the form 6ab + 5a + b, where a>0 that would give you a head start for the more general form with A > 0. Note also that this is using k = 3. Of course you may have already have tried this.

ramsey2879 said:
At first glance I think you may not need to worry about powers of 32 to start

A=0, B = 2 gives Ni for 2^4 +1

The largert power for 2^32 + 1 is 6^7(AB)^8 and because A = 0 There are only 9 terms to play with
N4 = B
N8 = 6*B^2+8*B+ 2
N16 = 6*(6*B^2+8*B+2)^2 +8*(6*B^2+8*B+2) +2
N32 = 6*(...)^2 +8*(...) + 2

If you can put N32 into the form 6ab + 5a + b, where a>0 that would give you a head start for the more general form with A > 0. Note also that this is using k = 3. Of course you may have already have tried this.
I have been thinking about this and want you to know that I am very uneducated in this subject. It seems that you have spent a lot of time and no one else has responded to this thread even though you pleaded for guidance. The factors for [tex]N_{i}[/tex] for small i are well known and most likely you are not the first one to try this approach. Therefore in spite of your assiduous efforts, I believe the lack of response does not bode well for success. My own naive suggestion is just too good to be correct for if correct then there would be no need to solve for the case A>0 and the fairly uniform pattern of the factors would have been recognised before.

Last edited:
if i understand you correctly yes i have tried your suggestion. and i think we will have to start with N1 as it it self is of form 6x2+8x+2. the problem still happens to be an expression of power 32.
btw i read your blog on fermat's last theorem and really would like u to complete it. i really don't know much about the proof.

chhitiz said:
if i understand you correctly yes i have tried your suggestion. and i think we will have to start with N1 as it it self is of form 6x2+8x+2. the problem still happens to be an expression of power 32.
btw i read your blog on fermat's last theorem and really would like u to complete it. i really don't know much about the proof.

Yes B = N1. When k = 4, I found

[tex]N_{5} = 6^{15}B^{16} + ... +17179869184B + 715827882[/tex] If there is a solution for a and b of the equation [tex]N_{5} = 6ab + 5a + b[/tex], a > 0 , I found that
[tex]a = C_{1}B^{i} + ... +4264852B + 2156[/tex] and
[tex]b = C_{2}B^{16-i}+..+1116736B + 106[/tex]. That is as far as I got. Still I decided that even though I got that far, that it is not likely to have a solution, just as the case for k = 3 had no solution. and the power 6^15 is greater than 2^38

ramsey2879 said:
and the power 6^15 is greater than 2^38
you mean 2^32.
if that is the case then i guess we need to look for higher terms(as power of 2 is increasing exponentially) anyways it would be better to run this through a mainframe computer or something till we get our required value of 'k'.

chhitiz said:
you mean 2^32.
if that is the case then i guess we need to look for higher terms(as power of 2 is increasing exponentially) anyways it would be better to run this through a mainframe computer or something till we get our required value of 'k'.
I was trying to say that even with k = 4 you have a conumdrum of a problem to solve, and I don't think it likely that there is a solution.

BTW, the form 6N^2 + 8N + 2 gives Ni for squares of 6N + 4 plus 1

That is 6(6N^2 + 8N + 2) + 5 = (6N+4)^2 + 1 regardless of the N and if you are correct if Ni+k can be put into the form 6AB + 5A + B (A>0) then

[tex](6N+4)^{2}^{i+k}+1[/tex] would have to be composite for all integer N and I don't think that would be so.

ramsey2879 said:
I was trying to say that even with k = 4 you have a conumdrum of a problem to solve, and I don't think it likely that there is a solution.

BTW, the form 6N^2 + 8N + 2 gives Ni for squares of 6N + 4 plus 1

That is 6(6N^2 + 8N + 2) + 5 = (6N+4)^2 + 1 regardless of the N and if you are correct if Ni+k can be put into the form 6AB + 5A + B (A>0) then

[tex](6N+4)^{2}^{i+k}+1[/tex] would have to be composite for all integer N and I don't think that would be so.
I just explored a page on Generalized Fermat Primes and found that the following is a prime

[tex]167176^{{2})^{15}} + 1[/tex]

Edit I mean raised to the 2^15 th power
See page 831
http://www.ams.org/mcom/2002-71-238/S0025-5718-01-01350-3/S0025-5718-01-01350-3.pdf
since 167176 + 1 = 6*27862 + 5 we now know that k must be greater than 14! and you must deal with powers of 32768. You would need a supercomputer to solve this!

Last edited:
ramsey2879 said:
I just explored a page on Generalized Fermat Primes and found that the following is a prime

[tex]167176^{{2})^{15}} + 1[/tex]

Edit I mean raised to the 2^15 th power
See page 831
http://www.ams.org/mcom/2002-71-238/S0025-5718-01-01350-3/S0025-5718-01-01350-3.pdf
since 167176 + 1 = 6*27862 + 5 we now know that k must be greater than 14! and you must deal with powers of 32768. You would need a supercomputer to solve this!

you mean to say that (6n+4)2i+k has to be composite for all n, k has to be greater
than 14. but i don't understand how you got 14. 215should not be equal to 2i+k, whatever the value of k we get(which is very high), we can always get a smaller k to satisfy the above eqn.

chhitiz said:
you mean to say that (6n+4)2i+k has to be composite for all n, k has to be greater
than 14. but i don't understand how you got 14. 215should not be equal to 2i+k, whatever the value of k we get(which is very high), we can always get a smaller k to satisfy the above eqn.
What do you mean we can get smaller k? if (6n+4)^{{2}^15} + 1 is prime, for k smaller than 15, N(i+k) can't be put in the form 6AB + 5A + B for A>0 since we know that there is a
Ni where 6Ni+k + 5 is prime and not composite.

ramsey2879 said:
What do you mean we can get smaller k? if (6n+4)^{{2}^15} + 1 is prime, for k smaller than 15, N(i+k) can't be put in the form 6AB + 5A + B for A>0 since we know that there is a
Ni where 6Ni+k + 5 is prime and not composite.

oh yes you are right. i don't know why i was thinking the part where (6n+4)2+1 was involved it wouldn't be part of this recurrence relation. but i tried to get (6N+4)2+1 for Ni+k and i think it is (6Ni+4)2*22i+1 and not (6Ni+4)2i+k+1

chhitiz said:
oh yes you are right. i don't know why i was thinking the part where (6n+4)2+1 was involved it wouldn't be part of this recurrence relation. but i tried to get (6N+4)2+1 for Ni+k and i think it is (6Ni+4)2*22i+1 and not (6Ni+4)2i+k+1

I believe you mean [tex](6Ni +4){2i} + 1[/tex]

Well I really donno if ur heading in the right way .. but very nice thinking ...
If I can be of any help , You can express N(i+1) in terms of N(i) .. ( that is if my calculation is correct ) as follows :

N(i+k) = { (6^(3k)) * ( [ { N(i) + (2/3) } ^ 2 ] ^ {2k} ) } - (2/3)

Now can you somehow use a binomial expansion to get your desired representation .. I donno ... but just give it a try anyway ... sorry that no one's out here to help u more

ramsey2879 said:
I believe you mean [tex](6Ni +4){2i} + 1[/tex]

i think it is (2(6n+4))2i+1. not that it matters. it seems i do need a supercomputer. can anybody lend me theirs?

What is the significance of proving the finiteness of Fermat primes?

The proof of the finiteness of Fermat primes is significant because it helps to understand the properties of prime numbers. It also has implications in cryptography and number theory.

What is a Fermat prime?

A Fermat prime is a prime number that is in the form of 2^(2^n) + 1, where n is a non-negative integer. It is named after mathematician Pierre de Fermat who first studied these numbers.

Why is proving the finiteness of Fermat primes challenging?

Proving the finiteness of Fermat primes is challenging because there is no known formula for generating these numbers, and there are only a few known examples. Additionally, the numbers involved in the proof can be extremely large, making it difficult to analyze them mathematically.

What are some methods used to prove the finiteness of Fermat primes?

One method is the Lucas-Lehmer test, which involves checking certain conditions on a specific type of number sequence. Another method is the Elliptic Curve Method, which uses elliptic curves to find solutions to certain equations related to Fermat primes.

What are the potential implications of proving the finiteness of Fermat primes?

Proving the finiteness of Fermat primes could lead to a better understanding of the distribution of prime numbers and potentially help in the search for new prime numbers. It could also have practical applications in cryptography and number theory.