Website title: Finding Rotation Matrices for Arbitrary Angle Rotations in R^3

In summary, to find two rotation matrices M1 and M2 which describe a rotation by an arbitrary angle around the axes passing through (0,0,0) and (1,1,1), and (1,0,0) and (2,1,1), all relative to the standard basis, you would first find a matrix representing the rotation around the z-axis, and then multiply by the matrix that rotates the z-axis into the given axis of rotation.
owlpride
I am looking for two rotation matrices M1 and M2, which describe a rotation by an arbitrary angle around the axes passing through (0,0,0) and (1,1,1), and (1,0,0) and (2,1,1). All relative to the standard basis. How would I approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
owlpride said:
I am looking for two rotation matrices M1 and M2, which describe a rotation by an arbitrary angle around the axes passing through (0,0,0) and (1,1,1), and (1,0,0) and (2,1,1). All relative to the standard basis. How would I approach this problem?

Hi owlpride! :wink:

Those two axes are parallel, so I suppose you could relate them by a translation. :smile:

I am very well aware that they are parallel. That's how I chose them :) That being said, I don't even know how to get the initial rotation... Maybe some change of basis to get one basis vector parallel to the axis of rotation and the other two vectors in the orthogonal plane? And then the standard cos, sine, -sine, cos transformation?

owlpride,

It turns out that there is a nice way to do this that isn't too hard. I learned it from working a homework problem in "a brief on tensor analysis" by Simmonds (a really good book). If you draw this out I think it will make sense. Let [tex]\mathbf{\hat{e}}[/tex] denote a unit vector in the direction of your axis of rotation. you can construct the matrix that will take an arbitrary vector [tex]\mathbf{u}[/tex] and rotate it (right handed) an angle [tex]\vartheta[/tex] about the axis to get a new vector [tex]\mathbf{v}[/tex]. To do this you form an orthogonal basis out of [tex]\mathbf{\hat{e}}[/tex] , [tex]\mathbf{\hat{e} \times u}[/tex], and [tex]\mathbf{\hat{e} \times \left( \hat{e} \times u \right)}[/tex]. After normalizing the basis vectors, you just find the projection of [tex]\mathbf{v}[/tex] onto the basis vectors and do a page of algebra to simplify. The Answer you get is

[tex]\mathbf{v}=\cos \vartheta \mathbf{u} + \left(1-\cos \vartheta \right) \mathbf{\hat{e}} \left( \mathbf{\hat{e} \cdot u}\right) + \sin \vartheta \mathbf{\hat{e} \times u} = T \mathbf{u}.[/tex]

Thus,

[tex]T=\cos \vartheta I + \left(1-\cos \vartheta \right) \mathbf{\hat{e}\hat{e}} + \sin \vartheta \mathbf{\hat{e} \times }.[/tex]

The notation above is old-fashioned. [tex]I[/tex] is the identity matrix, and the meaning of [tex]\mathbf{\hat{e}\hat{e}}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbf{\hat{e} \times}[/tex] can be deduced from the equation for [tex]\mathbf{v}[/tex].

The matrix you want is the coordinate rotation matrix, [tex]R[/tex], which is [tex]R=T^{-1}=T^{T}[/tex], since rotation matrices are orthogonal.

This will take care of your first case. The second case is offset from the origin so a matrix won't do the job by itself - you also need an offset.

Jason

What I would do is find a matrix that represents that rotation around the z-axis:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\theta) & -sin(\theta) & 0 \\ sin(\theta) & cos(\theta) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

then multiply by the matrix that rotates the z-axis into the given axis of rotation.

What is a rotation matrix in R^3?

A rotation matrix in R^3 is a 3x3 matrix that represents a rotation in three-dimensional space. It is used to describe the orientation of an object after it has been rotated around a fixed point.

How is a rotation matrix represented?

A rotation matrix is represented as a 3x3 matrix with nine entries, where the first three entries correspond to the first row, the next three entries correspond to the second row, and the last three entries correspond to the third row. The matrix is typically denoted as R.

What are the properties of a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is an orthogonal matrix, meaning its columns are orthogonal unit vectors. It also has a determinant of 1, which means it is a rigid transformation that preserves distances and angles.

How is a rotation matrix applied to a vector?

To apply a rotation matrix to a vector, the vector is multiplied by the rotation matrix. The resulting vector represents the rotated position of the original vector. This allows for easy transformation of points in three-dimensional space.

What are some common uses of rotation matrices in R^3?

Rotation matrices in R^3 are commonly used in computer graphics, robotics, and physics to describe and manipulate rotations in three-dimensional space. They are also used in navigation and GPS systems to track the orientation of objects.