Max angular displacement from max angular velocity

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a thin rod suspended freely and swinging like a pendulum. The mass, length, and maximum angular velocity of the rod are given, and the goal is to find how far above the lowest position the center of mass rises. The attempt at a solution involves using energy conservation, but the calculated height is greater than the length of the rod, indicating that the problem may be impossible. The person asking for help expresses frustration with their physics class and recommends MIT's Open CourseWare for additional resources.
rdlcsh

Homework Statement

A thin rod of length 1.4m and mass .2kg is suspended freely from one end. It is pulled to one side and then allowed to swing like a pendulum, passing through its lowest position with angular speed 7.84 rad/s. Neglecting friction and air resistance, find how far above that position the center of mass rises.

m = .2 kg
l = 1.4 m
max angular velocity = 7.84 rad/s

I've figured out:
moment of inertia = .130666
max kinetic energy = 4.0157 J

Homework Equations

Work = integral of the torque from (theta-0 to theta-max)
tourqe = rF*sin(theta) = rmg*sin(theta)
tourqe = I(angular acceleration)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried integrating both tourqe equations above as well as integrating the second one subtracted from the first one. But i usually end up with something like:

sin(theta) = a number larger than 1

I think I am just integrating the wrong thing. I know this could probably be done with the conservation of engergy, but when I try that, I end up with a height that is greater than the lengh of the rod.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy conservation is definitely the way to go with this. If you show your work, someone might be able to find out where you went wrong.

*** Edit ***
Actually, it seems that this problem is impossible. If the rod is allowed to swing from the "upside down" vertical position, the potential energy change of the center of mass with respect to the "right side up" vertical position is mgΔh = 0.2*9.8*1.4=2.744 J. This is less than the 4.016 J that you correctly calculated as the kinetic energy based on the angular speed given by the problem. It appears that the angular speed given by the problem is such that the rod will keep going round and round instead of reaching a maximum angle.

Last edited:
That's the result I kept getting, but that's not the correct answer. I guessed that angular kinetic energy must not be the same as linear kinetic or potential energy. I was wrong in writing:

1/2 *I*w^2 = mgh

I still don't know how to do this problem. Any other ideas?

Sorry to bother everyone with this ridiculous problem. I've found out that the "correct" answer is 2.048 m, which is of course impossible. I guess that's what I get for going to a crappy college.

Good students learn and do well regardless of who's teaching them and in what place.

Sounds like you've either never had a really terrible class or never had a really fantastic teacher. Of course the most important thing is the student. But on the last two exams, the class averages were 39% and 30%. Is that really because the class is filled with bad students?

All I'm saying is that the last three days I spent trying to find an answer that didn't exist could have been better spent studying other things or learning new concepts.

Your comment is an insult to good schools everywhere. For anyone else who may be frustrated with their physics class, I highly reccomend MIT's Open CourseWare - ocw.mit.edu, especially Walter Lewin's classes.

*********Edit*********
But thanks for your help!

Last edited:

1. What is meant by "max angular displacement from max angular velocity"?

Max angular displacement refers to the maximum angle through which an object rotates or moves. It is measured in degrees or radians. Max angular velocity, on the other hand, refers to the maximum speed at which an object rotates or moves. It is measured in radians per second. Therefore, the "max angular displacement from max angular velocity" refers to the maximum angle an object will rotate or move in a given time period at its maximum speed.

2. How is max angular displacement related to max angular velocity?

Max angular displacement and max angular velocity are closely related. The max angular displacement is directly proportional to the max angular velocity. This means that the greater the max angular velocity, the greater the max angular displacement will be. Similarly, if the max angular velocity decreases, so will the max angular displacement.

3. What factors affect the max angular displacement from max angular velocity?

The max angular displacement from max angular velocity is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the applied torque. The greater the mass of the object, the larger the max angular velocity needed to achieve a certain max angular displacement. Similarly, the farther the object is from the axis of rotation, the larger the max angular velocity needed. The applied torque also plays a role in determining the max angular displacement.

4. What is the formula for calculating max angular displacement from max angular velocity?

The formula for calculating max angular displacement from max angular velocity is given as: Δθ = ω²/2α, where Δθ is the max angular displacement, ω is the max angular velocity, and α is the angular acceleration. This formula assumes that the angular acceleration is constant throughout the motion.

5. How is max angular displacement from max angular velocity used in real-world applications?

Max angular displacement from max angular velocity is an important concept in various fields such as physics, engineering, and robotics. It is used to calculate the motion of objects in rotational systems, such as motors, gears, and pulleys. It is also essential in designing machines, predicting their performance, and ensuring their safe operation. In robotics, it is used to program the motion of robotic arms and joints to achieve precise movements.