Accept ME grad school admission offer for 1 school?

In summary, the conversation was about the speaker's decision to take a year off after graduating with a BS in physics and applied math to work in industry and better determine their future plans. They have now decided to pursue a MS in mechanical engineering and have been accepted into their current school's ME PhD program, but are considering accepting an offer from a different school. The speaker asks for advice on what factors to consider when choosing a school for a MS in engineering, and the other person suggests looking into the reputation and research of specific departments and faculty members. They also discuss ways to gauge the quality of research papers.
creepypasta13
I just graduated with my BS degrees in physics and applied math in Dec 09. I chose not to apply to grad schools in December because I didn't know what field to choose to apply to. Also, i figured taking a year or so off, and working in industry would better help me decide what to do in the future. Also, i was hesitant about getting a MS or phD. But now that I've taken 2 ME classes (heat transfer and fluid mechanics) this quarter, I'm sure I want to do mechanical engineering. Also, I did apply to my current school's ME graduate program, since the deadline was much later than the other schools I was considering such as Stanford and MIT

Well, a few days ago, I just got accepted into my school's ME phD program this week. However, I'm strongly considering not accept the offer since I have changed my mind and would rather pursue a MS instead of a phD (I think I want to do the thesis option and do research though), and I prefer to do my graduate studies at a different school, such as MIT or Stanford. If I had applied and got accepted into the other top schools of my choice, such as Stanford, I'd take the offer in a heartbeat since I'm not getting any job offers in industry for months now since the economy is really bad right now. I've been applying for 100s of technical positions, preferably mechanical engineering ones at defense contractors, but have only gotten a few interviews but no offers for programming/analyst positions. So while I don't really want to take the admission offer, its really tempting. Do you guys have any input on what I should about this? What factors does one take into account for choosing what schools to attend for a MS in engineering, other than the prestige of the school?

Also, I don't know how much this matters, but I will probably get accepted into the summer research program at one of the national labs for the DOE. I was thinking of only accepting the offer if I can't job by then

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
creepypasta13 said:
What factors does one take into account for choosing what schools to attend for a MS in engineering, other than the prestige of the school?

Not really the prestige of the school. I think that's something undergrads look at. You have to pay attention to the reputation of the specific department you are applying to. There should be notable faculty members within the department. One of which could hopefully be your supervisor. Look the research labs they have which are specific to your interest and current research that lab is engaged in. Whats the point in going to Stanford engineering if they don't have notable faculty and research labs to accommodate you? A friend of mine applied to engineering grad schools, but got accepted to a school which doesn't do much research relevant to his interest. So he had to change his research interest to suit what they had to offer. This should never happen as you shouldn't even be offered admission if they cannot accommodate you.

ranger said:
You have to pay attention to the reputation of the specific department you are applying to. There should be notable faculty members within the department. One of which could hopefully be your supervisor. Look the research labs they have which are specific to your interest and current research that lab is engaged in.

how do i know which faculty members are notable and have good reputation?

Don't use ratemyprofessor.com :p

You measure that by the quality of research they/their lab output. Research papers in the area is also a good way to gauge. You can also look at past graduate students for whom the faculty member served as a supervisor and see what sort of research they were working on.

Most likely the ME department will be divided into several research groups/areas and when you apply for grad school you indicate the area you are interested in. Take a look at the faculty members in the group. You can start by visiting the faculty member's website to get a rough idea of what they are about...then the rest should unroll itself through your own research.

ranger said:
You measure that by the quality of research they/their lab output. Research papers in the area is also a good way to gauge.

You can start by visiting the faculty member's website to get a rough idea of what they are about...then the rest should unroll itself through your own research.

Well i barely know anything about the research they're doing, since I don't have much of a background in ME, as I've only taken intro to fluid mechanics and intro heat transfer. So how can you tell the quality of the research papers?

This is a little tricky, especially since you don't have the necessary background to make a sound judgement. You will most likely be looking at research papers (not conference papers). All I can say is you can check which journal its published in and the number of citations the articles receives. Feel free to approach your faculty members for additional help with specific research papers.

1. Can I defer my acceptance to the graduate program?

It depends on the specific policies of the graduate program. Some programs may allow deferral for a certain period of time, while others may not allow it at all. It is best to contact the graduate program directly to inquire about their deferral policies.

2. What is the deadline to accept or decline the admission offer?

The deadline to accept or decline an admission offer varies by graduate program. Typically, the deadline is stated in the acceptance letter or can be found on the program's website. It is important to respond by the deadline to secure your spot in the program.

3. Is there an enrollment deposit required to accept the admission offer?

Some graduate programs may require an enrollment deposit to secure your spot in the program. This deposit is usually refundable if you decide to decline the admission offer before a certain date. Be sure to check with the program to see if an enrollment deposit is required and the amount.

4. Can I negotiate my financial aid package after accepting the admission offer?

It is possible to negotiate your financial aid package after accepting the admission offer, but it is not guaranteed. You can reach out to the graduate program's financial aid office to inquire about any potential opportunities for negotiation. Keep in mind that the initial financial aid package is often based on available funding and may not be negotiable.

5. What should I do after I have accepted the admission offer?

After accepting the admission offer, you should make sure to complete any necessary paperwork, such as submitting your official transcripts and signing any required forms. You should also reach out to the graduate program for any further instructions or information about orientation and starting the program. It is also a good idea to start planning for housing and any other logistics related to attending the program.