What is the Boiling Point of Mineral Oil in a Vacuum?

In summary, the boiling point of mineral oil in a vacuum is significantly lower than its boiling point at atmospheric pressure. This is because a vacuum reduces the air pressure above the liquid, allowing it to boil at a lower temperature. The exact boiling point of mineral oil in a vacuum will vary depending on the specific type of mineral oil and the level of vacuum achieved. However, it is generally accepted that mineral oil will boil at around 200-300 degrees Celsius in a vacuum, compared to its boiling point of 300-400 degrees Celsius at atmospheric pressure. This makes a vacuum an effective method for distilling or separating mineral oil from other substances.
Stephen DG
Boiling point in a vacuum...

Gidday, I am as new here as it gets, and I have a question to post.

I have been having a (heated) discussion with regards to the temperature that water boils in a vacumm. Given: @ 10in Hg water will boil at 192F. If you had a pressure reading of 29.7in of mercury water will boil at 32F The pressure on the water has been reduced and the boiling point has lowered. Standard evacuation process of any AC/ Heat Pump maintenance.
Question: In an Air Conditioning, closed system, when a vacuum is created, moisture is pumped out during evacuation or Deep Vacuum 29in Hg. Will this lowered pressure be enough to boil off any mineral oil. Given that most MSDS states that mineral oil boils @ 500-625F. Will the pressure be low enough to boil/vaporise the mineral oil in this system?

Thank you

Stephen

Engineering news on Phys.org

Stephen DG said:
Given that most MSDS states that mineral oil boils @ 500-625F. Will the pressure be low enough to boil/vaporise the mineral oil in this system?

Boiling point at 1 atm doesn't tell anything about the behavior of the liquid at lower pressures. You need more data for that, I bet it can be found in one of these engineering handbooks with properties of everything.

MATLABdude said:
The (admittedly, very low vapour pressure) oil in a diffusion pump system does not boil off into the ultrahigh (at the very low end, 10^-10 Torr) vacuum it creates:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_pump#Oil_diffusion_pumps

EDIT: I should mention that the oil is boiled off (using a heater) in order to create the oil jets, but the gas is refluxed against the sides of the pump, returning to liquid form.

That is a little beyond the scope I am reaching for.

My re-phrased question: In a contained pressurized system, such as, an Air Conditioning system found everywhere. When maintenance is performed, a vacuum pump is attached to remove the refrigerant (R12, R134A etc), it also removes all moisture inside the system. As you can appreciate water in high temps or below freezing could have costly effect. The problem I am having trouble explaining is, why the oil is removed as well as the water.
I contend that the lower pressure has changed the vapour point of the oil, thereby pulling it all into the maint machine. I have my detractors lining up and I have been on a research binge since wednesday.

' vacuum is measured in inches of mercury. sea level is zero. water will boil at 212F. as negative pressure or elevation increases the boiling temp. of water decreases. if you had a pressure reading of 10 in" of mercury the water will boil at 192F. if you had a pressure reading of 29.7 in" of mercury water will boil at 32F '

So can I use the all things being equal defence? If its flammable, it is, then it must give off vapour at X temp, if I can figure that out I can prove that oil will vapourise. How to prove it

MATLABdude said:
The (admittedly, very low vapour pressure) oil in a diffusion pump system does not boil off into the ultrahigh (at the very low end, 10^-10 Torr) vacuum it creates:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_pump#Oil_diffusion_pumps

What is the boiling point in a vacuum?

The boiling point in a vacuum refers to the temperature at which a substance will change from a liquid to a gas under reduced pressure. This is typically lower than the boiling point at standard atmospheric pressure.

How does a vacuum affect the boiling point of a substance?

A vacuum reduces the surrounding pressure, which in turn lowers the boiling point of a substance. This is because the reduced pressure makes it easier for molecules to escape the liquid phase and enter the gas phase, resulting in a lower temperature needed for boiling.

Can any substance boil in a vacuum?

Yes, any substance can boil in a vacuum as long as the pressure is low enough. However, some substances may have a very low boiling point in a vacuum, while others may require extremely low pressures to reach their boiling point.

What is the relationship between pressure and boiling point in a vacuum?

The relationship between pressure and boiling point in a vacuum is inverse. As pressure decreases, the boiling point of a substance also decreases. This means that the lower the pressure, the lower the temperature required for boiling.

Why is the boiling point in a vacuum important?

The boiling point in a vacuum is important in various industrial and scientific processes, such as in distillation and freeze drying. It also has practical applications, such as in the functioning of vacuum-sealed containers and in the preparation of certain food products.