Stress/strain+general bending equation

• Thread starter ar202
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bending
In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about the maximum thickness of a steel strip that can be bent around a drum of radius 1m without exceeding a stress of 100 MPa. The suggested approach is to use the general bending equation and the second moment of area for a cylinder. The conversation ends with a question about which equality to use, with the suggested option being M/I = sigma_b/y = E/R.
ar202
Stress/strain+general bending equation...

Homework Statement

A steel strip is to be bent around a drum of radius 1m. What is the maximum thickness of strip that can be bent in this way if the stress in the strip is not to exceed 100 MPa.

The steel has a modulus of elasticity of 210 GPa.

Am i correct in thinking i should be using the general bending equation here?

as well as the second moment of area for a cylinder?

pi x d^4/64

any help would be great, cheers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on where to begin, a nod in the direction would be really helpful thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

I think that would be correct to do.

1 x 106 / 2.1 x 1011 = 4.76 x 10-4 ...?

ar202 said:
1 x 106 / 2.1 x 1011 = 4.76 x 10-4 ...?

I am not sure what those numbers are supposed to mean.

[tex]\frac{M}{I} = \frac{\sigma _b}{y} = \frac{E}{R}[/tex]

Which equality did you use?

As a scientist, your approach to this problem is correct. The general bending equation, also known as the flexural formula, is used to determine the maximum stress in a material due to bending. It takes into account the material properties, the geometry of the object, and the applied loads. In this case, the applied load is the bending caused by wrapping the steel strip around the drum.

The formula is as follows:

σ = (M*y)/I

Where:
σ = maximum stress
M = bending moment
y = distance from the neutral axis (in this case, the radius of the drum)
I = second moment of area (also known as the moment of inertia)

To determine the bending moment, you can use the simple formula:

M = F*d
Where:
F = force (in this case, the force required to bend the steel strip)
d = distance from the force to the point of bending (in this case, the radius of the drum)

To determine the second moment of area, you can use the formula for a cylinder that you mentioned:

I = π*d^4/64

Now, to solve for the maximum thickness of the steel strip, you need to rearrange the equation to solve for d:

d = ∛((64*σ*I)/π)

Then, you can plug in the given values for the stress, modulus of elasticity, and radius of the drum to solve for the maximum thickness of the steel strip. Keep in mind that the units need to be consistent, so you may need to convert from MPa to Pa and from GPa to m^4.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Remember to always consider the relevant equations and units when approaching a problem in science.

1. What is the general bending equation?

The general bending equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between stress and strain in a material when it is subjected to bending forces. It takes into account the material's properties, such as its modulus of elasticity and moment of inertia, as well as the applied bending moment and distance from the neutral axis.

2. How is stress calculated in the general bending equation?

The stress in the general bending equation is calculated by dividing the bending moment by the moment of inertia and multiplying it by the distance from the neutral axis. This can be represented as σ = (M*y)/I, where σ is stress, M is bending moment, y is distance from neutral axis, and I is moment of inertia.

3. What is the difference between stress and strain?

Stress is a measure of the internal forces a material experiences when subjected to external loads, while strain is the measure of the deformation or change in shape of a material due to these forces. In the context of the general bending equation, stress refers to the internal forces caused by bending, while strain refers to the resulting deformation of the material.

4. What factors affect the bending stress in a material?

The bending stress in a material is affected by a variety of factors including the material's modulus of elasticity, moment of inertia, bending moment, and distance from the neutral axis. Other factors such as the material's shape, size, and boundary conditions also play a role in determining the bending stress.

5. How is the general bending equation used in engineering?

The general bending equation is a fundamental tool used in engineering to analyze and design structures and components that are subjected to bending forces. By calculating the stress and strain in a material, engineers can determine the maximum allowable load and design structures that can withstand these loads without failing. This equation is used in a wide range of applications, from building construction to designing machines and vehicles.