What resources can help with designing a stator ring for an AC motor?

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help in building their own stator ring for a project. They are looking for information on how to connect the coils, how many turns are needed, and what type of 3-phase AC switch to use. They have done some research but are still struggling to find the necessary information. They are also asking for any recommendations on where to find assembly manuals or directions.
StephenD420
Hello all,

I am currently working on a project that requires a stator ring like the ones found in electric motors where there are 2-3phases of electromagnetic coils placed in a circular fashion with a pole pointing towards the center (look at picture below). The coils would be powered by AC current to make a rotating magnetic field as I do not think DC would create the necessary rotating magnetic field, plus every 2-3 phase motor I have seen on the web has been AC with a 3 phase switch(which I do not know what it is). I am having a hard time finding information on how to build my own stator ring. Like I do not know how to connect each coil to the others in order to make a rotating magnetic field and I cannot find a formula that tells me how many turns I will need to use to create a magnetic field of about 1.3-2 T, which is the strength I need to use since I have to also use neodymium magnets and the magnetic field strength has to be about the same for the project. Since a neodymium magnet is about 1.3-2 T at its surface I need to have about that magnetic field strength using the stator.

I would appreciate any help you guys could give. Are there any websites that show how to build stator rings, how to connect the coils together and shows how many turns of coils needed for a certain magnetic field strength? Are there any books with this information? Are there any stores that I could go to and ask? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have googled brushless motors and stator rings, stator coils, etc and all of the information I have found has showed me in what order to connect the windings together but I cannot find information on how the connected windings connect to the 3-phase AC switch or how many turns in each coil I need to create a rotating magnetic field of strength 1.5-2 T as the neodymium magnets that I am also using in my project is about 1.3-2 T at its surface. Would I use the solenoid equation B=u*n*I where n is N/L for each coil of the stator?
I cannot find a formula to tell me how many turns per coil I need for my stator ring to create a 2 T rotating magnetic field. Does anyone know how I can tell how many turns I need?

Also, what three phase automatic switch would work best for a stator ring? In other words, what do I connect the three wires to? Do you guys know of any stator assembly manuals or directions on how to assemble and connect the stator and to tell how many turns are needed.

Note I am trying to construct just the stator ring, not a motor. All I want to make is a stator ring with a rotating magnetic field.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you guys in advance for any help you can provide in my first venture in electrical engineering by creating a rotating magnetic field using a steel stator ring, coils of wire, and a 3-phase ac switch.

Stephen

Picture of a stator ring that I found on the internet, mine will be a steel ring with the 6 notches for the coils pointing inwards so the rotating magnetic field will be inside the ring:

Attachments

• stator.jpg
    stator.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 493
Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a stator ring and what is its purpose?

A stator ring is a circular component that is a part of an electric motor or generator. Its main purpose is to provide a stationary magnetic field that interacts with the rotating magnetic field of the rotor to produce mechanical force.

2. What materials are typically used in stator ring construction?

The most commonly used materials in stator ring construction are laminated silicon steel, copper wire, and insulation materials such as varnish or epoxy resin. In some cases, aluminum or other metals may also be used.

3. How is a stator ring constructed?

A stator ring is typically constructed by stacking and bonding layers of laminated silicon steel together, with slots for the stator windings. The windings are then inserted into the slots and connected in a specific pattern to create the desired magnetic field.

4. What are the key factors to consider in stator ring construction?

The key factors to consider in stator ring construction include the material selection, design of the stator core, winding configuration, and insulation. The shape and size of the stator ring, as well as the type of motor or generator it will be used in, also play a role in the construction process.

5. Can a stator ring be repaired or replaced?

In most cases, a damaged stator ring will need to be replaced rather than repaired. However, if the damage is minor, it may be possible to repair the stator ring by replacing only the damaged components. It is important to consult with an expert in stator ring construction for proper assessment and repair recommendations.