What else are Electrical Engineers good for?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter teknoaxe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, the conversation revolves around an Electrical Engineer who has recently been laid off due to a revenue shortfall and is now looking for new job opportunities. They have moved to a new location with hopes of finding engineering companies hiring, but are facing fierce competition due to the influx of job seekers. The engineer is considering other options such as technical writing and power engineering, but is open to other career fields as well. The conversation also includes a suggestion to consider contract work in technical writing, which can be a lucrative option.
teknoaxe
Hey there all,

I'm an Electrical Engineer with two or three years (depending on how you look at my internships) of work experience. I was laid off from my last company in May due to a revenue shortfall. I used to live in California, but I moved just outside the Boston area to be closer to some family of mine, arrows were pointing to a resurgence in hiring and there are surrounding cities also with engineering companies.

The problem is that even though the job market may be warming up, there's still a big influx of people looking for work in the engineering fields. I'm finding myself in fierce competition with everyone else who's gotten the axe as well. And while people seem to be impressed with my qualifications, it also seems that companies latch on the very specific laundry lists of qualifications.

I'm trying to look at my options here. I suggested to a recruiter that for a short time we look for technical writing assignments as well. He didn't like the idea, stating that he didn't want to pigeonhole me in that career. But there's got to be other uses for my degree other than electrical engineering, right?

One option, buck electronics and get into power engineering. I've had two classes in this direction, so maybe that's an option.

But other than that, are there other career fields that I should be taking a look at? I've got a couple months of unemployment left. I can't believe I haven't found anything yet and it's getting pretty frustrating, to be honest.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent on your forum. Please let me know any suggestions you may have.

Physics news on Phys.org
Technical writing is actually a very good career path, especially if you want contract work. I have a very good friend who makes his living doing nothing but contract work, and he always negotiates that he work from home.
It is not top money, but he does okay with 1099 rates.

The key is that you should know milspec requirements for documentation, that is the easiest area to get work in. But by all means that is not the only area..

1. What is the main role of an electrical engineer?

Electrical engineers design, develop, and test electrical systems, equipment, and devices. They use their knowledge of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism to create various products and systems that are used in a wide range of fields, such as telecommunications, healthcare, transportation, and energy.

2. Can electrical engineers work in other industries besides engineering?

Yes, electrical engineers have a diverse skill set that can be applied to many industries. They can work in areas such as management, consulting, finance, and even law. The problem-solving and analytical skills that they possess are highly sought after in many fields.

3. Are there any specific qualities that make electrical engineers good at their job?

Yes, electrical engineers possess a combination of technical knowledge, critical thinking skills, and creativity. They are detail-oriented, have excellent problem-solving abilities, and are able to work well under pressure. Additionally, they are constantly learning and adapting to new technologies and advancements in their field.

4. What other skills do electrical engineers possess besides technical knowledge?

Electrical engineers also possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal. They often work in teams and need to be able to effectively communicate their ideas and designs to others. They also have project management skills, as they are responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of their designs.

5. Can electrical engineers work in research and development?

Yes, many electrical engineers work in research and development (R&D) positions. They are responsible for conducting experiments, analyzing data, and developing new technologies and products. Their skills and knowledge are crucial in pushing the boundaries of innovation and advancing various industries.