Help with Capillary Rise Equation for Differential Equations Class

In summary, the person is seeking help with creating an equation for capillary rise in a strip of paper towel using given data points. They are specifically looking for an explanation of the physics and derivation behind this equation, as they are having trouble understanding it. They mention the use of the Poiseulle flow equation, material balance, and Young-Laplace equation in the process. They clarify that they are not asking for the answer to be given, but rather for an explanation to help them understand.
RagincajunLA
Hey guys, I have a problem in one of my classes where I need to make an equation of capillary rise in a strip of paper towel. I am given data points and I need to make an equation that fits the points. Can someone please help me through the physics and derivation behind this. I tried doing some research but i can't quite understand what is going on. This if for my differential equations class so i need to go about making an ODE and integrating it to the answer. I am not looking for you guys to flat out give me the answer. I would like someone to explain it to me so i can understand it

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the Poiseulle flow equation for a capillary in conjunction with the material balance and the Young-Laplace equation at the interface.

What is the Capillary Rise Equation?

The Capillary Rise Equation is a mathematical model used to calculate the height to which a liquid will rise in a narrow tube, known as a capillary, due to the forces of surface tension and adhesion.

Why is the Capillary Rise Equation important in Differential Equations class?

The Capillary Rise Equation is important in Differential Equations class because it is a real-world application of differential equations. It allows students to see how mathematical models can be used to solve practical problems and understand phenomena in the physical world.

How do I solve the Capillary Rise Equation?

The Capillary Rise Equation can be solved using calculus techniques, specifically the method of separation of variables. This involves isolating the variables on opposite sides of the equation and integrating to find the solution.

What are the assumptions made in the Capillary Rise Equation?

The Capillary Rise Equation assumes that the liquid is in a cylindrical tube with a small diameter, that the tube is in a uniform gravitational field, and that the liquid is incompressible and has constant density and surface tension.

What are some real-world applications of the Capillary Rise Equation?

The Capillary Rise Equation has practical applications in fields such as biology, chemistry, and engineering. It can be used to understand the movement of water in plants, the behavior of liquid in microfluidic devices, and the efficiency of materials used in capillary action, such as paper towels.