Is this the largest homemade accelerator ever built?

In summary, this person is trying to build an electron accelerator, but does not know what they are doing and is risking injury or worse.
AuroraIndust
Here's a video of my homemade electron accelerator, named the Aurora Accelerator. To the best of my knowledge it is the largest homemade accelerator ever built. Check it out, and comment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dc7STQht08&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Physics news on Phys.org
AuroraIndust said:
Here's a video of my homemade electron accelerator, named the Aurora Accelerator. To the best of my knowledge it is the largest homemade accelerator ever built. Check it out, and comment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dc7STQht08&feature=youtube_gdata_player

That link didn't work for me but this one did:

Size doesn't matter, energy does, which is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link update. 1.3MeV is the current energy.

AuroraIndust said:
Thanks for the link update. 1.3MeV is the current energy.

I like the video work, do you have an accompanying video explaining the setup?

In June 2011(after the ISEF) I will have EVERYTHING made available to the public, schematics, parts lists, video tutorials, diagrams, and a 20 page paper on how to build it and how it works.

I think you are going to have a hard time sending the particles in a circle without a magnet and an equally hard time getting decent vacuum out of PVC pipe.

The PVC already sustains a 0.8Pa environment(in a different design), I just need to make connectors for this setup. And there already Helmholtz Coils in there, that are controlled by variable power supplies, at every 45* bend. Each coil's geometry can curve up to 60*.

At 1 Pa, the mean free path of a particle in your accelerator will be <1mm. You will need a vacuum on the order of 10^-6 Pa, which, as Vanadium 50 says, will be difficult if not impossible to achieve with PVC pipe. Also, if you are really accelerating particles to energies greater than a few 10's of keV, I hope you are shielding the thing! The X-rays produced could be harmful or fatal.

You know that "PVC smell"? That alone tells you you won't be able to get a good enough vacuum. If you can smell it, it's no good.

What you've written so far gives me no confidence you know what you are doing. There are many risks and hazards associated with an accelerator, and if you don't really know what you are doing, you risk the equivalent of sticking a metal fork in your toaster.

I have radiation shields attenuating the x-rays to 0.2%. and I've achieved 0.8 Pascals with the PVC already, any suggestions about better piping/tubing would be appreciated though!

Please stop before you injure yourself or others.

Once you said "helmholtz coils" I knew you didn't know what you were doing. There are many hazards there, and if you don't know the very basics of accelerator design, you are a) not going to get it to work, and b) likely to injure yourself or others. Or worse.

Your field is wrong. Your vacuum is inadequate. You have not understood the principles of phase stability - otherwise your field is wrong. Your injection insertion won't work. You have high voltage, high current, vacuum and radiation risks. Please stop.

Don't judge so quickly, this is just a forum, you have nowhere near the data to infer that about this experiment.

I have seen your video, and I have read your responses. I have exactly the same reaction as I would have if someone told me they wanted to go skydiving, and they were making their own parachute and wondered what color bedsheet to use. You are doing something risky, and you do not understand the risks.

1. How does "My Homemade Accelerator" work?

My Homemade Accelerator works by using a combination of electricity and magnets to accelerate particles. The particles are fed into a tube and then guided by magnets to increase their speed.

2. What materials do I need to make "My Homemade Accelerator"?

You will need a power source, such as a battery or power supply, a tube to guide the particles, magnets, wires, and a source of particles, such as hydrogen gas.

3. Is "My Homemade Accelerator" safe to use?

As with any science experiment, there are potential risks involved. It is important to take proper safety precautions and wear protective gear when building and using "My Homemade Accelerator". It is also recommended to have adult supervision for younger individuals.

4. How fast can "My Homemade Accelerator" accelerate particles?

The speed at which particles are accelerated will depend on the strength of the magnets and the power of the electricity used. With proper materials and setup, it is possible to achieve speeds of up to 10% of the speed of light.

5. Can "My Homemade Accelerator" be used for any specific experiments?

Yes, "My Homemade Accelerator" can be used for a variety of experiments, such as studying particle interactions, creating radioactive isotopes, and exploring the properties of matter. However, it may not be suitable for more advanced experiments and should not be used for commercial purposes.