Electrical Engineer/Physics Double Major

In summary: That's a great question! I actually considered doing that too, but I was really interested in the field of EE and I wanted to take advantage of the program I was interested in. Plus, I was worried about not being able to get into the best graduate programs if I only had a physics degree.Would you recommend going back and doing your physics degree first?I think that's a great idea! Doing the physics degree first would give you a lot more background in the field and would make it easier to get into a good graduate program. Additionally, it would probably be a lot less time-consuming since you would only need to finish one degree.
atarr3
Sorry to bring up yet another topic about such hackneyed subject, but I've reached the point in my academic career where I need to start making some important decisions, and I could really use some advice.

I'm currently a 3rd year double major at Georgia Tech in electrical engineering and physics. I started out as a physics major and added on electrical engineering at the beginning of my 2nd year. The reason I did this was I was currently set to graduate in 3 years, my semesters were already pretty light compared to most other students (at least in the amount of work I needed to do), I wanted to take advantage of one my school's high ranked engineering programs, I was already very interested and EE, and I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do when I graduated.

So this brings me to my current problem at hand. After a year and a half of having a double major, I've decided that I'm going to go to grad school for physics, and I was wondering if I should drop my EE major and just focus on physics. I'm currently on track to complete both degrees in 5 years, but if I drop EE I'll probably graduate in 4 years and take several extra math and physics courses. I'm interested in the field of quantum computing/quantum information processing and plan on focusing on that in grad school. I've talked to several EE advisers who've said that those are some important fields in EE as well.

I'm not really sure if I should keep the major or drop it. I know I can benefit from the signal processing and semiconductor courses I'll be taking, but I don't know if it's worth staying the extra time and spending more money to get another degree. I'm also concerned about hurting my chances of getting into the graduate school of my choice. Because I am completing another major, I won't be able to take as many physics or math courses as I would like to. If I drop the major, I can take more math classes like abstract vector spaces and PDE's. I plan on applying to the top graduate programs in the country, and I'm trying make myself the best candidate as possible.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Should I keep the major and go the 5 years? Or do you think it'd be better to drop it and focus on my physics degree. Thanks in advance for any input guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm interested in the field of quantum computing/quantum information processing

How deep does your interest in that field go?

I've always been really interested in it. Additionally, my favorite topic in EE is also signal processing. At the very least, I would like to get involved in quantum research and/or quantum theory. There might be other fields in quantum that I might want to get involved in instead, but at the moment that's the field I'm most interested in.

Why didn't you do your physics degree first, and then do a second bachelor's degree in ee?

I understand the importance of making informed decisions about your academic career. It sounds like you have already put a lot of thought and consideration into your double major in electrical engineering and physics. It is great that you have a clear interest in the field of quantum computing/quantum information processing and are planning to focus on that in grad school.

In terms of whether you should drop your electrical engineering major, there are a few things to consider. First, think about your long-term career goals. Are there specific jobs or research opportunities that you are interested in that require both degrees? If so, it may be worth completing both degrees. However, if your main interest is in physics and you do not see yourself using your electrical engineering degree in your future career, then it may be more beneficial to focus on your physics degree.

Additionally, consider the courses you will be taking in each major. Are there any specific courses in the electrical engineering curriculum that will be beneficial for your future studies in quantum computing/quantum information processing? If so, it may be worth completing both degrees to gain that knowledge and skill set. On the other hand, if you feel that you can gain the necessary knowledge and skills through additional math and physics courses, then dropping the electrical engineering major may be a reasonable option.

It is also important to consider the time and financial commitments of completing both degrees. Graduating in 4 years instead of 5 can save you time and money, but it is important to weigh that against the potential benefits of completing both degrees.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and it is important to choose the path that aligns with your interests and goals. I would also recommend talking to your academic advisors and professors in both departments for their input and advice. Good luck with your decision!

What is an Electrical Engineer/Physics double major?

An Electrical Engineer/Physics double major is a program that combines the study of electrical engineering and physics into one degree. This allows students to gain a strong foundation in both fields and develop a wide range of skills and knowledge.

What courses will I take in an Electrical Engineer/Physics double major?

As a double major, you will take a combination of courses from both electrical engineering and physics. This may include classes in circuit analysis, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics, among others. The exact courses will vary depending on the specific program and university.

What career opportunities are available for graduates with an Electrical Engineer/Physics double major?

Graduates with an Electrical Engineer/Physics double major have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can work in industries such as electronics, energy, telecommunications, aerospace, and research. Some common job titles include electrical engineer, research scientist, systems engineer, and data scientist.

What skills will I develop through an Electrical Engineer/Physics double major?

Through this double major, students will develop a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis. They will also gain technical skills in areas such as circuit design, coding, and experimental methods. Additionally, students will develop strong communication and teamwork skills, which are highly valued in the workplace.

Is an Electrical Engineer/Physics double major a good choice for me?

This decision ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you have a strong interest in both electrical engineering and physics, and enjoy problem-solving and working with advanced technologies, then this double major may be a good fit for you. It can also open up a wide range of career opportunities and provide a competitive edge in the job market.