Maintaining Syntax Highlighting in Python IDLE

• Thread starter chillfactor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Python
In summary, the conversation discusses syntax highlighting in Python and how it can be affected by the choice of IDE. The speakers suggest exploring different editors such as Eclipse, SciTe, or drPython to find one that meets their needs and preferences. They also mention issues with the default editor, IDLE, and recommend reading the help documentation for any chosen IDE.
chillfactor

Homework Statement

I am a novice programmer and have just started programming on Python. When one types a command, the commands are highlighted in a certain color. When I open a new window and run the module, the commands lose their color. it is quite annoying. is their trick to keep the command's color? thanks. i am programming on IDLE (python GUI). What i mean to say is syntax highlighting

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
syntax highlighting has to do with your choice of IDE and its configuration. Because we don't know what you are using as your IDE, i can't answer your question.

Read the help documentaion for your IDE, I use Eclipse and its help documentation is pretty straighforward.

I strongly advise finding another editor to write your code in such as emacs, eclipse, sciTe... most are free downloads and they all feel different to use so it's a bit of trial and error to find one you like.

I prefer using SciTe on my home computer - it keeps all the colours and has options to show lines were your indents are and other useful things! I was using the editor that comes with python too and had loads of problems with it like it not saving over the top of your file when you add more code and so you lose information ... and it loves it's syntax errors!

I agree with s_gunn, SciTE is a great basic text editor. I also always had issues with IDLE freezing and taking 100% of the cpu for no apparent reason.

you might also want to look at drPython if you want some more features.

Hi there! First of all, congratulations on starting your programming journey with Python. It's a great language to learn and very popular among scientists and researchers.

To answer your question, there is indeed a way to maintain syntax highlighting in Python IDLE. Here are a few tips to help you out:

1. Make sure you are using the latest version of Python IDLE. Updates often include bug fixes and improvements to the syntax highlighting feature.

2. Check your IDLE settings. Go to Options > Configure IDLE and make sure the "Highlighting" option is checked under the "General" tab.

3. If the above steps don't work, you can try resetting the IDLE preferences. Go to Options > Configure IDLE > Reset to Defaults.

4. Another option is to use a different code editor or IDE that has better syntax highlighting capabilities. Some popular options for Python programming include PyCharm, Visual Studio Code, and Atom.

I hope these suggestions help you maintain syntax highlighting in Python IDLE. Happy coding!

1. How can I turn on syntax highlighting in Python IDLE?

To turn on syntax highlighting in Python IDLE, go to the Options tab and select Configure IDLE. Under the Highlighting tab, check the box next to "Syntax highlighting".

2. How do I change the color scheme for syntax highlighting in Python IDLE?

To change the color scheme for syntax highlighting in Python IDLE, go to the Options tab and select Configure IDLE. Under the Highlighting tab, click on the Color tab. From here, you can select and customize different colors for each type of syntax element.

3. Why is syntax highlighting not working in my Python IDLE?

There could be several reasons why syntax highlighting is not working in your Python IDLE. Some common reasons include incorrect installation of the program, outdated version of IDLE, or a corrupted configuration file. Try reinstalling IDLE or updating to the latest version to see if that solves the issue.

4. Can I add custom syntax highlighting to Python IDLE?

Yes, it is possible to add custom syntax highlighting to Python IDLE. You can create your own custom theme by modifying the configuration files or by using existing plugins that provide additional syntax highlighting options. However, this requires some knowledge of programming and the IDLE environment.

5. Is there a way to disable syntax highlighting in Python IDLE?

Yes, you can disable syntax highlighting in Python IDLE by going to the Options tab and selecting Configure IDLE. Under the Highlighting tab, uncheck the box next to "Syntax highlighting". This will turn off syntax highlighting for all files opened in IDLE.