Noam Chomsky: Exploring His Ideas on the U.S.

• Thread starter mikeee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, a group of individuals discuss their thoughts on Noam Chomsky and his various works and contributions in the fields of linguistics and politics. Some admire him as an agitator and talented writer, while others question the validity of his ideas. It is mentioned that he is often mislabeled as unpatriotic, but some argue that true patriotism involves valid criticism of one's country. Overall, the group has mixed opinions on Chomsky and his work.
mikeee
I don't really think this is a philosophy question, but what do you guys think of Noam Chomsky? His ideas on the U.S and such...

I recently started to listen to a lot of his lectures on tape and I find them really interesting. I just wanted to know if any of you guys listen to him and if your a fan or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
mikeee said:
I don't really think this is a philosophy question, but what do you guys think of Noam Chomsky? His ideas on the U.S and such...

I recently started to listen to a lot of his lectures on tape and I find them really interesting. I just wanted to know if any of you guys listen to him and if your a fan or not.

I read some of his stuff. I watched a film of his that was going around when Bush was planning on murdering a bunch of innocent Iraqis.

Some of his stuff is easy to understand. Some of it seems written at such a high reading level, you have to take your time.

He seems like a pretty good guy.

Chomsky is one of my favourite agitators. If the US left had any brains they'd give him as much airtime as they could give him, rather than Michael Moore. I don't know a lot about what he's done besides his activist stuff, except that he's a card-carrying anarchist (very cool) and that he's the Einstein of linguistics.

I put Chomsky in the militant left, with Bill Blum, Michael Parenti & Greg Palast.

fourier jr said:
and that he's the...of linguistics.

therefore, he could twist around words, phrases and sentences to make his arguments more valid and believable

More an expert on linguistics.

People who know anything about him know that he is considered to be the Einstein of linguistics. He led the "Chomskian revolution" in that subject. He routinely gets asked about his professional background, and how it can "deconstruct" propaganda, or whatever, but he always says that has nothing to do with it. You can even ask him yourself (chomsky at mit dot edu). I don't think the fact that he's a linguist has anything to do with his writing style, or what a smooth talker he is, or how easily he can see through propaganda or anything. Unless "smooth talker" means somebody who simply cites declassified government documents or studies fromt he PR industry. Just ask him yourself. I'm sure he'll have a good answer for you since he gets that sort of thing all the time.

anyway, maybe mikeee should check out www.democracynow.org[/url] and [PLAIN]http://www.zmag.org/weluser.htm , they've got lots of Chomsky stuff on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chomsky is without a doubt the single mostimportant figure in 20th century linguistics and arguably the most importnat figure in linguistics full-stop.

His poltical writings are controversial, but that's not suprising considerin he is an apolgetically left-wing thinker in a right-wing country.

fourier jr said:
I don't think the fact that he's a linguist has anything to do with his writing style, or what a smooth talker he is, or how easily he can see through propaganda or anything. Unless "smooth talker" means somebody who simply cites declassified government documents or studies fromt he PR industry.

It has a major influence on his writing. He studied it.

From dictionary.com:

lin·guis·tics ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lng-gwstks)
n. (used with a sing. verb)
The study of the nature, structure, and variation of language, including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, sociolinguistics, and pragmatics.

linguistics

\Lin*guis"tics\ (-t[i^]ks), n. [Cf. F. linguistique.] The science of languages, or of the origin, signification, and application of words; glossology

Last edited:
he's a good writer because he knows how to write, just as a physicist, mathematician, philosopher would be a good writer if they know how to write. it's got nothing to do with linguistics. helen caldicott is a good writer; would you ever think that it has anything to do with the fact that she's a pediatrician? give me a break.

Last edited:
fourier jr said:
Chomsky is one of my favourite agitators. If the US left had any brains they'd give him as much airtime as they could give him, rather than Michael Moore.
Well, that's assuming being an agitator is a good thing for the Left. I don't think it helps them any. People who already leanign left eat it up and people who lean right hate it - its divisive.

Regardless, from what I know of him (not a whole lot), he's very talented at what he does (agitating). The validity of what he has to say, on the other hand...

And yeah - using words doesn't make one a linguist any more than using a bathroom scale makes one a physicist.

fourier jr said:
he's a good writer because he knows how to write, just as a physicist, mathematician, philosopher would be a good writer if they know how to write. it's got nothing to do with linguistics. helen caldicott is a good writer; would you ever think that it has anything to do with the fact that she's a pediatrician? give me a break.

No you're not getting any break

Where did I say that being a linguist makes one a better writer.

My point was it certainly added to his writing style. Whether through how he structures his sentences to inflame, finding the right words or phrases to emphasize a point.

He studied semantics like a science and it comes out of his writing in one way or another.

Last edited:
Chomsky is an exceptionally good writer. He is rare in that he writes with both clarity and erudition; his works are accessible, yet still respected by the more educated.

He is often mislabelled as being unpatriotic or 'anti-US' but in my mind he is one of the most patriot Americans I am aware of! To his critics, I would say that the true patriots are the ones who offer valid criticism of their countries policies, and not just yes-men who go along with everything the rulers say. Think of say, Germany under the Nazis. Who were the real patriots, the ones who supported the government or the ones who opposed them?

As for the content of his writings I find that I very much agree with him about the ruling class and neoliberalism, etc. Keep in mind however, that like all good writers he is going to ignore evidence detrimental to his thesis to which has no counter. I also think, perhaps, he is a bit too idealistic.

U N U S E D
A U D I O C O M M E N T A R Y
B Y H O W A R D Z I N N
A N D N O A M C H O M S K Y ,
R E C O R D E D
S U M M E R 2 0 0 2 ,
F O R T H E F E L L O W S H I P
O F T H E R I N G
( P L A T I N U M S E R I E S
E X T E N D E D E D I T I O N ) D V D ,
P A R T O N E .
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2003/04/22fellowship.html
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2003/04/23fellowship.html

You view the conflict as being primarily about pipe-weed, do you not?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Who is Noam Chomsky?

Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, and political activist. He is widely known for his work in the field of linguistics, particularly his theory of generative grammar, and for his outspoken political views on topics such as imperialism, capitalism, and media manipulation.

2. What are some of Chomsky's ideas about the United States?

Chomsky has criticized the U.S. government and its policies on a variety of issues, including foreign intervention, human rights violations, and economic inequality. He also argues that the media often serves as a propaganda tool for the government and corporations.

3. How has Chomsky influenced political thought in the U.S.?

Chomsky's ideas and critiques have had a significant impact on political thought in the U.S. He has been a major figure in the anti-war and anti-imperialist movements, and his work has influenced activists, academics, and politicians alike.

4. What is Chomsky's view on capitalism?

Chomsky is a vocal critic of capitalism, arguing that it leads to extreme wealth and power disparities and exploits the majority of the population for the benefit of a small elite. He advocates for a more equitable economic system that prioritizes the needs of all people, not just the wealthy few.

5. What is Chomsky's theory of generative grammar?

Chomsky's theory of generative grammar posits that there is a universal set of rules and principles that underlie all human languages. He argues that these rules are innate and biologically determined, and that our ability to acquire and use language is a unique and defining characteristic of human beings.