New Teacher here, with inquiry-based curriculum

In summary, Rob suggests using commercials in the classroom to help students learn about chemistry. He suggests using commercials to help focus the lessons and avoid getting lost in the material. He also recommends using a general chemistry textbook to help students understand the important concepts.
NewChemTeache
Hi everyone,

I'm Rob, and I'm coming on here because people on these forums seem to know their stuff. I just completed a 1 year student teaching program that has a high emphasis on inquiry-based instruction.

A few days ago I thought of an idea for a curriculum that might help foster the kids ideas, while getting them interested in the content.

What if I used commercials in the classroom, have the kids look for things in chemistry in the commercials, and use that information to develop lessons on content from the standard curriculum?

Ex: I saw a commercial the other day for some kind of laundry detergent. It says twice as concentrated...some thing like that. Anyway, this would be a great way to start a lesson on concentration and molarity.

So what I'm looking for now though are two things:

what are the major topics in chemistry if you had to reduce them to 6 or 7 different things (which would then be developed into units)

and,

for more difficult topics for this to occur, possibly atomic theory, bonding, and quantum: does anyone have any ideas that might help?

I would love any feedback, whether this is coming from students, teachers, or just people that want to comment.

Thanks,
Rob

Chemistry news on Phys.org
NewChemTeache said:
Hi everyone,

I'm Rob, and I'm coming on here because people on these forums seem to know their stuff. I just completed a 1 year student teaching program that has a high emphasis on inquiry-based instruction.

A few days ago I thought of an idea for a curriculum that might help foster the kids ideas, while getting them interested in the content.

What if I used commercials in the classroom, have the kids look for things in chemistry in the commercials, and use that information to develop lessons on content from the standard curriculum?

Ex: I saw a commercial the other day for some kind of laundry detergent. It says twice as concentrated...some thing like that. Anyway, this would be a great way to start a lesson on concentration and molarity.

So what I'm looking for now though are two things:

what are the major topics in chemistry if you had to reduce them to 6 or 7 different things (which would then be developed into units)

and,

for more difficult topics for this to occur, possibly atomic theory, bonding, and quantum: does anyone have any ideas that might help?

I would love any feedback, whether this is coming from students, teachers, or just people that want to comment.

Thanks,
Rob

Well, I think the example you cited has value, and you might also ask kids to look for examples where companies make claims involving the chemistry of their products, and bring them to class to discuss. However, I would stop short of actually showing commercials in the classroom, and I would do my best to keep product branding information as vague as possible. So rather than saying "I saw a Exxon-Mobil commercial last night,", you might say "I saw a commercial for motor-oil last night". It would also be interesting to add an experimental dimension to it as well, by developing tests that your students can run on products to test advertising claims. Again, you need to do this as anonymously as possible with respect to the actual products you are testing ... the focus of the teaching should be around the chemistry and basic science, with the rest of it just "added flavor" to capture and hold the students' attention.

As for the course development, I would recommend getting your hands on a general chemistry textbook, and starting from there. Note I am not suggesting that you necessarily "teach to the text", although that can be helpful the first time or two throught the material, just to avoid getting lost. What I am saying is that the organization of the important ideas about chemistry is something many experts have spent a lot of time on, so you should harness that. I would recommend that you find a book that keeps the number of concepts small, but investigates them each one in depth. A deep understanding of a few fundamental concepts will ultimately serve your students better than covering a broader range of topics in less depth.

While you may get some answers here (after all our members know a little bit of everything), you should post your question at CHEMED-L mailing list - it is a pretty good place for educators, teachers, wannabe teachers and people just interested in teaching chemistry. People there will be probably able to guide to already existing resources.

CHEMED-L just moved from their old uwf.edu mailer to googlegroups, see status here: http://bbruner.org/chemed.htm [Broken]

Edit: I haven't seen SpectraCat post before submitting my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the posts,

i think just because I'm not necessarily teaching to the text, does not mean i will not be using a text to supplement material. the entire concept of the inquiry is to stimulate student interest in a topic. this interest can then lead to going into mini lessons which will at times require a text. i would like the students to construct the abstract knowledge of chemistry into something they could contextualize in something they are familiar with. that is the entire drive behind this approach. i am not substituting commercials for textbooks.

thanks for that other resource, i will post on there as well.

-rob

Dear Rob,

Inquiry-based curriculum is a great approach to engage students in learning and foster their creativity and critical thinking skills. Your idea of incorporating commercials into the classroom to develop lessons on chemistry is a creative and innovative approach.

In terms of the major topics in chemistry, it is difficult to reduce them to just 6 or 7 as chemistry is a vast subject with many interconnected concepts. However, some of the key topics that could be considered are atomic structure, periodic table, chemical reactions, stoichiometry, thermodynamics, and organic chemistry. These topics could be developed into units and integrated with real-world examples and applications, such as the commercials you mentioned.

For more difficult topics like atomic theory, bonding, and quantum, it may be helpful to use analogies and hands-on activities to make the concepts more tangible for students. For example, you could use interactive models to demonstrate atomic structure and bonding, or conduct experiments on quantum phenomena like wave-particle duality.

Overall, your idea of using commercials in the classroom to develop lessons on chemistry is a great way to engage students and make the subject more relatable to their everyday lives. I would encourage you to continue exploring and incorporating innovative teaching methods in your inquiry-based curriculum. Best of luck with your teaching journey!

Sincerely,

1. What is an inquiry-based curriculum?

An inquiry-based curriculum is an educational approach that focuses on students' active involvement in the learning process. It encourages students to ask questions, investigate, and explore topics in depth, rather than just memorizing information. It also emphasizes critical thinking, problem-solving, and collaboration.

2. How is an inquiry-based curriculum different from traditional teaching methods?

Inquiry-based curriculum differs from traditional teaching methods in that it places more emphasis on students' active participation in the learning process. Instead of the teacher delivering information to students, students are encouraged to ask questions, explore, and discover knowledge on their own. This approach also allows for more student-led discussions and group work.

3. What are the benefits of using an inquiry-based curriculum?

There are many benefits to using an inquiry-based curriculum. It promotes critical thinking and problem-solving skills, encourages students to take ownership of their learning, and allows for a more personalized learning experience. It also helps students develop important skills such as communication, collaboration, and self-directed learning.

4. How can I incorporate an inquiry-based approach into my teaching?

To incorporate an inquiry-based approach into your teaching, you can start by designing open-ended and thought-provoking questions that encourage students to explore and investigate a topic. You can also provide hands-on activities, group discussions, and project-based assignments that allow for student-led inquiry. It's important to also create a safe and supportive learning environment that encourages students to take risks and ask questions.

5. Are there any challenges to implementing an inquiry-based curriculum?

Yes, there can be challenges to implementing an inquiry-based curriculum. It may require a shift in teaching style, which can take time for both teachers and students to adjust to. It may also require more planning and preparation on the teacher's part to create engaging and meaningful learning experiences. Additionally, some students may struggle with the open-ended nature of inquiry-based learning and may need additional support and guidance from the teacher.