Now to program a sine divid by a sine function in Excel?

In summary, the conversation discusses a simulation program in Antenna field pattern that involves finding the position of the peak using the formula AF = sin(Nx)/sin(x), where N is an integer. The peak is at x = 0 and AF = N, but Excel shows a "DIV 0" error. Suggestions are given to use l'Hopital's Rule as x approaches 0 and to use an IF statement in Excel to test for when x = 0 and use the appropriate expression for AF. Further investigation into the Excel program is recommended.
yungman
This is part of the simulation program in Antenna field pattern. One part involve finding the position of the peak where:

[tex]AF=\frac {\sin\;Nx}{sin \;x}\;\hbox { where N is an integer.}[/tex]

The peak is at x=0 and the AF=N. But excel do not accept this and call out as "DIV 0" error. Is there any way to program it so when x= 0, it will show AF=N?

THis is like sync function when x = 0. I don't know whether this is the right place to post, but this is the best I see fit.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: apply l'Hopital's Rule as x approaches 0. Then in Excel, test when x = 0 and use the appropriate expression for AF.

I'm not sure of your context, but what about using the IF statement? For example, if you name one cell x and another cell N, something like this

=if(sin(x) = 0, N, sin(N*x)/sin(x))

LCKurtz said:
I'm not sure of your context, but what about using the IF statement? For example, if you name one cell x and another cell N, something like this

=if(sin(x) = 0, N, sin(N*x)/sin(x))

I'll check the excel program.

Thanks

1. What is the formula for calculating sine divided by sine in Excel?

The formula for calculating sine divided by sine in Excel is =SIN(x)/SIN(y), where x and y are the angles in radians.

2. Can the sine divided by sine function in Excel handle negative angles?

Yes, the sine divided by sine function in Excel can handle negative angles. Just make sure to use the SIN() function for both the numerator and denominator and input the negative angle in radians.

3. Is there a built-in function for sine divided by sine in Excel?

No, there is not a specific built-in function for sine divided by sine in Excel. However, you can use the SIN() function twice in a formula to achieve the same result.

4. Can I use degrees instead of radians for the angles in the sine divided by sine function in Excel?

Yes, you can use degrees instead of radians for the angles in the sine divided by sine function in Excel. Just make sure to convert the degree value to radians by multiplying it by PI()/180 or using the RADIANS() function.

5. How can I graph the sine divided by sine function in Excel?

To graph the sine divided by sine function in Excel, you can create a table with angle values in one column and the corresponding results in another column using the =SIN(x)/SIN(y) formula. Then, select the data and insert a line chart to visualize the function.