Aluminum tubing strength considerations for design

In summary, a person is asking for advice on the durability and strength of aluminum tubing for a collapsible photo booth. They have provided a drawing with the dimensions and details of the project. The question specifically asks for the minimum thickness of the tubing considering the repetitions of setup and teardown and the weight to be supported. The person responding mentions that the materials are strong enough to support 25 pounds, but the load support cannot be determined with the limited information provided. They also mention that durability is subjective and bring up other factors such as the size, spacing, and location of holes, as well as how the members are supported and connected. They suggest using 1/16" square tubing for the project.
dan barr
Hello all,

Thanks for potentially allowing me to waste your time with a simple question.

I am designing a collapsible photo booth and need to know that the aluminum tubing I intend to use is durable/strong enough for both the repetitions of setup and teardown and the weight to be supported.

I have attached a drawing with the basic idea, tubing dimensions, etc.

Specifically, what is the minimum thickness of the aluminum tubing considering the repetitions of setup/teardown and weight(s) to be supported.

on the right side of the photo, i mistakenly wrote "0.0125" with regards to thickness. this is wrong. all other instances are "0.125" and are correct.Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Attachments

• physics question for photo booth.jpg
    physics question for photo booth.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 630
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Please move to "mechanical engineering" if more appropriate.

Tx,

Dan

dan barr said:
... a simple question.

I am designing a collapsible photo booth and need to know that the aluminum tubing I intend to use is durable/strong enough for both the repetitions of setup and teardown and the weight to be supported. ...

Not really a simple question. The materials are certainly strong enough to support 25 pounds. How well the load is supported (i.e., flexing of the structure) can't be reliably determined with the minimal data provided.

Durability is subjective. For example, if the shelf support pins frequently use the same holes, and/or if the shelf load changes frequently/rapidly, it's possible that they may gradually elongate. Are cosmetic requirements (scratches, scuffing) considered in your definition of durability?

Other issues that come to mind are the size, spacing, and location of the holes. How and where are the members supported? How are they connected together? In the sketch, it appears that the lengths of tubing are constructed of multiple sections.

I can only give you a 'gut feeling' on this one, as I'm not a ME and can't do the real calculations. 25 pounds is very little weight on a structure like this - you can probably use the smallest wall thickness square tubing you can find, say 1/16". The teardown/setup issue doesn't change this issue, assuming the people doing this don't abuse the hardware. If you plan to have bolts within the holes of the tubing, make sure you don't tighten them enough to deform the square tubes.

Hello Dan,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about aluminum tubing strength considerations for your photo booth design. As a scientist, it is important to consider all factors when designing a structure, including durability and weight-bearing capacity.

To determine the minimum thickness of the aluminum tubing, we must first calculate the maximum load that the tubing will need to support. This will depend on the weight of the photo booth itself, as well as any additional weight that may be added by equipment or people inside the booth.

Next, we must consider the number of repetitions of setup and teardown that the tubing will undergo. This will affect the overall fatigue life of the tubing and should be taken into account when selecting a thickness.

Once we have these factors determined, we can then use engineering principles and materials testing data to determine the appropriate thickness for the aluminum tubing. It is important to also consider the type of aluminum alloy being used, as different alloys have different strength properties.

In addition to thickness, it is also important to consider the overall design and construction of the photo booth to ensure that the tubing is properly supported and able to withstand the repeated stress of setup and teardown.

I hope this information helps guide your design process. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Best of luck with your photo booth design!

Sincerely,

What is the maximum load capacity of aluminum tubing?

The maximum load capacity of aluminum tubing depends on various factors such as the alloy, wall thickness, and diameter of the tubing. Generally, aluminum tubing can handle a maximum load of 30,000 to 40,000 pounds per square inch (psi).

How does the alloy affect the strength of aluminum tubing?

The alloy used in aluminum tubing plays a crucial role in its strength. Some alloys, such as 6061-T6, have a higher strength-to-weight ratio compared to others, making them suitable for high-stress applications. It is important to consider the specific alloy and its properties when designing with aluminum tubing.

What is the impact of wall thickness on the strength of aluminum tubing?

The wall thickness of aluminum tubing directly affects its strength. Thicker walls can withstand higher loads, but they also add weight to the tubing. Engineers must strike a balance between strength and weight when choosing the appropriate wall thickness for a specific application.

How does the diameter of aluminum tubing impact its strength?

The diameter of aluminum tubing also affects its strength. Larger diameters have a higher cross-sectional area, allowing them to handle more weight. However, larger diameters may also be heavier, which can impact the overall design. Careful consideration must be given to the diameter of aluminum tubing based on the specific application.

What are some common design considerations for maximizing the strength of aluminum tubing?

To maximize the strength of aluminum tubing, engineers must consider various design factors such as the alloy, wall thickness, and diameter. Additionally, proper heat treatment and welding techniques can also contribute to the overall strength of the tubing. It is also important to consider the expected loads and potential stress points in the design process.