Can a Homemade Particle Accelerator be Built Safely and Effectively?

In summary, the conversation involves a person who is interested in building a small particle accelerator in their garage with the help of a classmate. They have previously made DIY projects and are now looking for ideas on how to start building the accelerator. However, others in the conversation warn about the dangers and cost of building an accelerator and suggest alternative ways to learn about physics, such as building a Van de Graaff generator or conducting microwave experiments. The person ultimately decides to continue researching before starting the project.
diy
Hello!

Long time reader, first time poster. First, I am sorry for my bad English, but I haven`t practiced from a very long time and this is not my native language.

So, I am studing Physics. I and a classmate make DIY projects. We`ve made quite a big list of things - R/C models, tesla coils, Brown gas generator, CNC machine, etc... Of course we are not only interested in building something, but investigating the principles and the way it works.

Recently we are thinkig of making a small (tabletop) particle accelerator. We have people who can help and a small (garage) workshop. Problem is, that I don`t know were to start. I`ve searched trought internet and mostly links aren`t working and information is small.

I am looking on any ideas on that. I know CRT TVs and monitors are a kind of a accelerator. Please, don`t tell me that "it isn`t possible"

Probably I should start with a Cloud chamber?

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Electron-Accelerator-A-Cathode-Ray-Tube-in-a-/

Sorry, for wrong sub-forym thread should be in General Physics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on the voltage and shielding, such machines may produce Röntgen-radiation which is known to cause cancer in too large doses.

Can`t I use a electron gun from a CRT monitor to accelerate some electrons in a cloud chamber?

You don't need that, and it would be dangerous. Cosmic rays are just fine to see tracks - you'll get one every few seconds.

diy said:
Can`t I use a electron gun from a CRT monitor to accelerate some electrons in a cloud chamber?
The sort of cloud chamber that you normally come across uses Radioactive sources to produce the tracks. By definition, a cloud chamber is not evacuated so how would you get your crt electron gun (evacuated) to fire electrons into it, at atmospheric pressure?

Okey, a new Idea - I will use a Cockcroft Walton generator to get a electron flow in a vacuumed pipe.

Bad idea.

A very likely outcome is your injury or death. Stick with the cloud chamber.

Vanadium 50 said:
Bad idea.

A very likely outcome is your injury or death. Stick with the cloud chamber.

Explain, please?

There seems some confusion. A Cloud Chamber is, surely, a detecting device and not an accelerator.
Accelerating voltages of a few tens of kV will produce harmful X rays. Why would you want to do that? For a safe experiment at those energies you need a High Energy Physics Lab, with all the safety measures (loads of Lead, for a start). Where are you planning to get the source to use with your cloud chamber? You might lay your hands on some naturally occurring radioactive rocks??
I think this is out of your league. Steer clear.

You can get nice cosmic ray tracks in a cloud chamber. But an accelerator is dangerous, and frankly, unlikely to work.

As I sad I am not interested in a cloud chamber, its just a simple detector. I am interested in an accelerated ion/electron flow.

And we are telling you it's dangerous. And unlikely to work.

You will not be aware, at the time, of any harm that Xrays will do to you - just later on when you develop some form of cancer.

When I was a lad we used to make fireworks instead - and remove fingers or blind ourselves. Also not to be recommended.

diy said:
As I sad I am not interested in a cloud chamber, its just a simple detector. I am interested in an accelerated ion/electron flow.

Beside the safety issues, are you prepared to spend several hundred dollars minimum to get the required equipment? (Or more likely a few thousand) The Vacuum pump and assorted equipment aren't cheap nor are the easy to work with. The kind of vacuum you need would require a forepump for rough vacuum, and a second, much more expensive pump to get the vacuum down from the rest of the way.

So you are thinkig of making a small (tabletop) particle accelerator. If you consider particles to be ball-bearings, for example, you might make a linear particle accelerator using alternating electric (magnetic) fields to add kinetic energy to the object. The same general principles used in sub-atomic particle accelerators should be applicable.

Bobbywhy said:
So you are thinkig of making a small (tabletop) particle accelerator. If you consider particles to be ball-bearings, for example, you might make a linear particle accelerator using alternating electric (magnetic) fields to add kinetic energy to the object. The same general principles used in sub-atomic particle accelerators should be applicable.

And as a bonus, is unlikely to give you cancer. Wounds from high speed ball-bearings, perhaps, but not cancer.

Actually, if you make or buy a Van der Graaff generator (cheap), you can see streams of ionised particles if you hold a large light bulb near it.
Also, you can produce a pretty impressive plasma when a light bulb is placed in a microwave oven. I am not recommending that you actually do this at home as I don't want to be held responsible for what happens when the bulb shatters or you Mum comes in. The oven should only be on for a very few seconds. There is also a plasma experiment using a grape in a microwave. Do not do this do not do this. haha but look on You tube.

Yes, I can walk down the street and a brick may fall on my head and kill me, but that doesn`t stop me walking down the street.
I`ve made the microwave experiments already and they are not a big deal. I can`t understand you... if you tell me that I can make plasma in my microwave, I try it and than something happens... you will be responsible? If that`s so you will never tell me anything about particle accelerators...

diy,

I also like to make things in my garage. You can build many things that will teach you about physics after you see them work. In my opinion, a particle accelerator does not fall in this category and you need to first learn everything before starting the project. I too wanted to build an accelerator, I spent time researching these devices (I have also taken many of the relevant courses in university). After all of this my conclusion was that it's safer, simpler, and more affordable to skip the particle acceleration as a project.

For whatever reason (could be language barrier) your recent posts have sounded somewhat abrasive. If you still want to make a device that accelerates particles I suggest that you start reading as much as possible online. There are a few guides written by amateurs on a home built accelerator. These guides talk extensively about safety and would be a good read if you are really set on doing this (I do not have links). To close, if you really want to do this please do your homework and know the dangers. I do not want to speak for the community but my feeling is that you won't get help building this device here.

First of all, PF has a rule against helping people make illegal or dangerous items. While this is usually related to explosives, drugs, etc, I could see this falling under it. Not only does this have the capability of harming you, but it can also harm anyone in the immediate area.

Second, what you are asking is simply too broad of a subject. This isn't a site dedicated to making something like this. I'd be willing to bet most of the people here don't even know where to start. Like I said, if you have specific questions such as how to find the shielding required for a certain amount of radiation using a certain material, that might be answerable.

So considering the items above it is no surprise all you are getting is "It's dangerous, don't do it."
It isn't that no one wants to help you, it's that most people cannot and the few that MIGHT be able to think it's simply too dangerous for someone who isn't trained.

I did have a particle acceleration obsession a while back, and I'll tell you a few things.
First of all, what are you trying to accomplish? If it's for educational purposes, there are better ways to spend your time. If it's for research, then there's the cost problem.
Second of all, can you do all the calcs? In other words, can you calculate what type of radiation this will release, the velocity your particles will reach, the charge due to the multiplier, etc? If not, I wouldn't recommend this. This is not something to be undertaken lightly.

diy said:
Yes, I can walk down the street and a brick may fall on my head and kill me, but that doesn`t stop me walking down the street.

You don't walk through a construction site without a hardhat and safety training, there are laws requiring these.

diy said:
I`ve made the microwave experiments already and they are not a big deal. I can`t understand you... if you tell me that I can make plasma in my microwave, I try it and than something happens... you will be responsible? If that`s so you will never tell me anything about particle accelerators...

Making plasma in a microwave does not pose any substantial danger above those of normal microwave use. Making a home made x-ray machine does potentially pose a mortal risk to yourself or others. It would be like asking why if it is OK to use commercial fireworks, why is it not OK to provide ingredients and instructions for how to make dynamite.

What is a homemade particle accelerator?

A homemade particle accelerator is a machine that is designed and built by individuals or small groups outside of professional research institutions. It is used to accelerate particles, usually protons or electrons, to high energies in order to study their behavior and interactions.

How does a homemade particle accelerator work?

A homemade particle accelerator works by using a series of electric fields to accelerate particles. The particles are first injected into a vacuum chamber and then guided through a series of tubes, called waveguides, where they are accelerated by alternating electric fields. The particles are then directed to collide with a target, where the resulting interactions can be studied.

What materials are needed to build a homemade particle accelerator?

The materials needed to build a homemade particle accelerator will vary depending on the design and purpose of the accelerator. However, some common components include a vacuum chamber, high voltage power supply, microwave source, waveguides, and detectors. Other materials such as magnets and specialized electronics may also be needed.

Is it dangerous to build and operate a homemade particle accelerator?

Building and operating a homemade particle accelerator can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken. The high voltages and radiation involved can pose serious risks to the builder and anyone in the vicinity. It is important to have a thorough understanding of the equipment and safety procedures before attempting to build or operate a homemade particle accelerator.

What are some practical applications of a homemade particle accelerator?

A homemade particle accelerator can be used for a variety of practical applications, such as studying particle physics, nuclear physics, and materials science. It can also be used for educational purposes, allowing individuals to learn about the principles of particle acceleration and high-energy physics. Additionally, a homemade particle accelerator can be a fun and challenging project for science enthusiasts to undertake.