Wave Equation in 1-d Proof/Verify

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying the solutions of the one-dimensional wave equation and determining the velocity of a propagating wave. The equations for the wave equation and laplacians are mentioned, and the individual is seeking clarification on how to show the solutions satisfy the wave equation.
hitman0097

Homework Statement

Verify that Acos(kx-ωt) and Bsin(kx-ωt) are solutions of the one dimensional wave eqn. if v=ω/k. Does f(x,t)=(ax+bt+c)^2 represent a propagating wave? If yes what is its velocity?

Homework Equations

I know the partial differ. eqns. for the wave equation are
d^2 U/dz^2 = 1/c^2 d^2E/dt^2 for the function f(x-ct) + g(x+ct)
The lapacians for E is μoεo d2E/dt2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just confused as to how to show this? And same for part b.). To verify something would I have to just take any value for v and show it for the first part. (I'll be talking to my prof. about this problem today as well) Thanks any help and hints are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
hitman0097 said:
I know the partial differ. eqns. for the wave equation are
d^2 U/dz^2 = 1/c^2 d^2E/dt^2 for the function f(x-ct) + g(x+ct)
The lapacians for E is μoεo d2E/dt2

I don't really get what you mean here. Usually, the wave equation is just:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial z^2} = \frac{1}{c^2} \frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial t^2} [/tex]
And for the question, they've given you some possible solutions. Its fairly simple to show that they satisfy the wave equation. Think about it - if you just thought you had worked out a solution, then how would you check that it is correct?

Yeah, I think I was just making the problem harder than it was. I understand it better now I think about it. Thanks!

What is the wave equation in 1-d?

The wave equation in 1-d is a mathematical equation that describes the propagation of waves in one dimension. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model various types of waves, such as sound waves, light waves, and water waves.

What is the proof for the wave equation in 1-d?

The proof for the wave equation in 1-d involves using the principles of differential calculus and Newton's laws of motion. By applying these principles to a small segment of a wave, we can derive the wave equation.

How is the wave equation in 1-d verified?

The wave equation in 1-d can be verified through experiments and observations. By measuring the properties of a wave, such as its wavelength and frequency, and comparing them to the values predicted by the wave equation, we can verify its accuracy.

What are the assumptions made in the derivation of the wave equation in 1-d?

The derivation of the wave equation in 1-d relies on several assumptions, such as the wave being a small disturbance in a medium, the medium being homogeneous and isotropic, and the wave propagating in a straight line with constant speed.

What are the applications of the wave equation in 1-d?

The wave equation in 1-d has various applications in physics and engineering. It is used to model and predict the behavior of waves in different systems, such as musical instruments, electromagnetic devices, and ocean waves. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as acoustics, optics, and seismology.