How to get from pump flow rate to pressure change

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a pump that can deliver 40 gallons of water per hour at a height of 8 feet, with a required pressure change of 3.44 psi. The person considered using a pump with a higher volume flow to compensate for head loss, but was advised to find a pump with a greater head or redesign the piping system. Fluid mechanics was mentioned as a complex topic and a product comparison was provided for reference. The question of why a pump with a higher flow rate cannot also pump to a greater height was also raised.
zzinfinity
Hi,
Essentially what I need is a pump that will pump 40 gallons of water per hour to a height of 8 feet. Ignoring pressure losses in the lines (for now) I used the bernouli equation to determine that I need a pressure change of 3.44 psi in my pump. I found these pumps that look suitable but all list a max head far lower than the 8 feet I need. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21414

I was thinking maybe just use one with a higher volume flow to compensate for the head loss. Maybe the 100 gph one? Is there a way to determine exactly what I need? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the pump cannot deliver a head greater than 8', increasing the flow will not compensate. Find a pump which can deliver at least 8' of head, or re-design the piping system to reduce the head loss.

Fascinating. Fluid mechanics has always baffled me. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, is there a fundamental reason why a pump that can pump 200 gph to a height of 5 feet, can't also pump 100 gph to a height of 10 feet?

1. How is pump flow rate related to pressure change?

The pump flow rate is directly proportional to the pressure change. This means that as the flow rate increases, the pressure change also increases. Similarly, a decrease in flow rate results in a decrease in pressure change.

2. What is the formula for calculating pressure change from pump flow rate?

The formula for calculating pressure change from pump flow rate is: Pressure Change = Flow Rate * Pump Efficiency / Pump Output Area. This formula takes into account the flow rate of the pump, the efficiency of the pump, and the area of the output of the pump.

3. Can I use the same formula for all types of pumps?

The formula for calculating pressure change from pump flow rate can be used for most types of pumps, but may need to be adjusted for certain specialized pumps. It is always best to consult the manufacturer's specifications for your specific pump to ensure accurate calculations.

4. How does the diameter of the pump output affect pressure change?

The diameter of the pump output does not directly affect pressure change. However, a larger diameter output can allow for a higher flow rate, which in turn can result in a larger pressure change. This is because a larger output allows for more fluid to pass through at a given time.

5. Is there a way to increase pressure change without changing the pump flow rate?

Yes, it is possible to increase pressure change without changing the pump flow rate by using a pump with a higher efficiency. A more efficient pump can generate a higher pressure change with the same flow rate. However, it is important to note that the efficiency of a pump can also be affected by external factors such as the condition of the pump and the properties of the fluid being pumped.