Rutherford's Gold Foil Experiment: Revealing the Secrets of Atomic Structure

• Thread starter Kehsibashok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary: So if he used radium, it must have been alpha decay. If it was something else, either alpha decay or fission is possible.In summary, Rutherford developed his atomic model based on the results of the gold foil scattering experiment. He was able to observe the deflection of alpha particles by using a zinc sulfide screen and microscope. The source of the alpha particles was likely radium, which emits alpha particles through alpha decay or possibly fission reactions. Additional research is needed to determine the exact source used in Rutherford's experiment.
Kehsibashok
everyone of us know that rutherford gave his own atomic model from the results of gold foil scattering experiment.
my doubt is ,

1.how was he able to see the alpha particles deflected ? (important doubt )
2.does alpha-decay happened to emit alpha particles in the radium he took ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kehsibashok said:
1.how was he able to see the alpha particles deflected ? (important doubt )

From the Wikipedia article about the experiment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiger%E2%80%93Marsden_experiment):

A zinc sulfide screen at the focus of a microscope was used as a detector; the screen and microscope could be swivelled around the foil to observe particles deflected at any given angle.

When an alpha particle hit the screen, it produced a small flash of light.

2.does alpha-decay happened to emit alpha particles in the radium he took ?

Can you re-phrase your question? It's not clear to me what you're asking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Thanks Alot :)

jtbell said:
When an alpha particle hit the screen, it produced a small flash of light.

Can you re-phrase your question? It's not clear to me what you're asking.

sure .. rutherford used radium which emitted the alpha particles ( right ? ) . then , how does the alpha particles emitted ? does they emitted by radioactivity ( alpha-decay) ?

thanks in advance :)

Kehsibashok said:
sure .. rutherford used radium which emitted the alpha particles ( right ? ) .

I don't know whether he used radium or something else. To find out, I'd have to do a Google search on something like "rutherford experiment alpha source" and hope that it leads me to a detailed description of Rutherford's apparatus beyond what's in Wikipedia. But you can just as well do that search yourself. :wink:

how does the alpha particles emitted ? does they emitted by radioactivity ( alpha-decay) ?

It might depend on what the source material actually was (radium or something else). However, the only processes I know that emit alpha particles are alpha decay and some nuclear fission reactions. I doubt Rutherford used a fission reaction.

1. What is Rutherford's Gold Foil Experiment?

Rutherford's Gold Foil Experiment was a scientific experiment conducted by Ernest Rutherford in 1911 to investigate the structure of atoms.

2. How did Rutherford's Gold Foil Experiment work?

The experiment involved shooting alpha particles at a thin sheet of gold foil and observing how the particles were deflected. A screen covered in zinc sulfide was placed behind the foil to detect the particles. By analyzing the pattern of deflected particles, Rutherford was able to make conclusions about the structure of atoms.

3. What were the results of Rutherford's Gold Foil Experiment?

Rutherford's experiment revealed that atoms have a dense, positively charged nucleus at the center, with the majority of the atom being made up of empty space. This disproved the previously accepted "plum pudding" model of the atom.

4. How did Rutherford's Gold Foil Experiment contribute to our understanding of atomic structure?

Rutherford's experiment provided evidence for the existence of a small, dense nucleus in atoms, as well as the idea that atoms are mostly made up of empty space. This helped pave the way for further discoveries about atomic structure, such as the discovery of protons and neutrons.

5. Why is Rutherford's Gold Foil Experiment considered a significant scientific discovery?

Rutherford's Gold Foil Experiment was a groundbreaking discovery that fundamentally changed our understanding of the structure of atoms. It provided a basis for the atomic model we use today and paved the way for further discoveries in the field of atomic physics.