Plotting x vs 2*x is it possible? (Reaction kinetics)

In summary, this person is not an expert in reaction kinetics and does not understand how to plot x vs x to derive a rate constant.
christian0710
Hi,

I red in reaction kinetics that if you plot the concentration of A againts "some constant times the concentration of A", the constant will be the slope of a straight line (check out the photo i attached). This threw me a bit off, so let me just make sure i understand this:
So i assume it's possible to plot x vs x? and so if you plot let's say 2x vs x you can deduce that the slope of the line must be 2, because as you go one x in one direction you go 2x in the other direction? kif that how simple it is?

Attachments

• plottign graph.jpg
    plottign graph.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 475
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ahh now i see it, of course, if you plot a graph y=1*x it's like plotting x vs x because y=x and the slope will be one, so if you were trying to derive some constant (in reaction kinetics it's the rate constant) it would be equal to one in this case :)

christian0710 said:
Hi,

I red in reaction kinetics that if you plot the concentration of A againts "some constant times the concentration of A", the constant will be the slope of a straight line (check out the photo i attached). This threw me a bit off, so let me just make sure i understand this:
So i assume it's possible to plot x vs x? and so if you plot let's say 2x vs x you can deduce that the slope of the line must be 2, because as you go one x in one direction you go 2x in the other direction? kif that how simple it is?

christian0710 said:
Ahh now i see it, of course, if you plot a graph y=1*x it's like plotting x vs x because y=x and the slope will be one, so if you were trying to derive some constant (in reaction kinetics it's the rate constant) it would be equal to one in this case :)

Sorry but show you have not even the first idea of kinetics, and we can't engage with you till you have studied at least something of it.

You have maybe worked out yourself that plotting x or 2x against x gives you straight lines but you need a book that takes you beyond that starting insight - any book for later years of high school math.

1. Is it possible to plot x vs 2*x for reaction kinetics?

Yes, it is possible to plot x vs 2*x for reaction kinetics. It is a common practice in kinetic studies to plot reactant concentration vs reaction rate, and since the reaction rate is directly proportional to the concentration of reactants, plotting x vs 2*x is a valid approach.

2. Is there a specific reason for plotting x vs 2*x in reaction kinetics?

Plotting x vs 2*x is mainly used to determine the reaction order and rate constant. By plotting the reactant concentration and its double value, the slope of the resulting line can be used to calculate the reaction order, and the intercept can be used to determine the rate constant.

3. Can x and 2*x have different units while plotting for reaction kinetics?

Yes, x and 2*x can have different units while plotting for reaction kinetics. The units of concentration and rate are typically different, so it is common to have different units for x and 2*x when plotting for reaction kinetics.

4. Is it necessary to use a logarithmic scale when plotting x vs 2*x for reaction kinetics?

No, it is not necessary to use a logarithmic scale when plotting x vs 2*x for reaction kinetics. While using a logarithmic scale can make it easier to visualize the data and determine the reaction order, it is not a requirement. A linear scale can also be used, especially for simple reactions with a clear linear relationship between x and 2*x.

5. Are there any limitations to plotting x vs 2*x for reaction kinetics?

Yes, there are some limitations to plotting x vs 2*x for reaction kinetics. This approach assumes that the reaction is a simple first-order reaction, and the reactant concentration is the only factor affecting the reaction rate. It may not be suitable for complex reactions with multiple reactants or rate-determining steps.