Solving Thevenin's Theorem: 12V, 6A Circuit

In summary: A and B. But since those points are not really even connected to the rest of the circuit, the ohmeter will give you a higher resistance. To solve for thevenin resistance, you would use the same principles as before and take the resistance from the sources (terminals A and B). But this time, make sure you connect them back to the rest of the circuit. It can be a little tricky, so be patient.
ranju
In the given circuit having a voltage source of 12V and current source of 6 A..we have to find thevenin circuit to left of terminals a &b..
Now if we'll find the thvenin resistance by shorting across 12 V battery and open circuiting across the current source.. as I solved it shud be.. 4//6//6 so the thevenin's resitance shud be 12/7 ohms..but this doesn't go with the given options..!
Can you pleasez point out ehre I am going wrong..??
the options given are
12V & 16 ohm
12V & 12 ohm
20V&4 ohm
12V & 3 ohm

Attachments

• IMG_20140716_162957.jpg
    IMG_20140716_162957.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 433
Engineering news on Phys.org
the another resistance in the pic is of 6 ohm..

If you short the voltage and open the amp source...

You have 6 ohms in SERIES with 6 ohms which gives you 12 ohms. Better review your parallel and series theory. Picture sliding the two 6 ohm resistors where the shorted voltage source is. You would just simply add them in series. Since you opened the amp source, just totally remove that part for thevenin resistance. Parallel implies voltage across is the same...or two resistors share a "top" node and "bottom" node. Or you could say that there are two paths for the current to go thru. None of these cases apply...therefore series. Learning how to re-draw circuits will be critical for your development.

You then have 12 ohms in parallel with 4 ohms...The TOTAL Theveinin resistance is 3 ohms.

Using superposition again, The voltage source then contributes 3 volts (voltage division)and amp source contributes 9 volts (current division then V=IR) for a total of 12 volts.

12V & 3 ohm.

Boom.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
if you are saying that here 6ohm is parallel to other 6 ohm..
now what would u say about this circuit... what according to you is the thevenin's resistance??

this is the given circuit...

ranju said:
if you are saying that here 6ohm is parallel to other 6 ohm..
now what would u say about this circuit... what according to you is the thevenin's resistance??

The 6 ohm is NOT in parallel with the other 6 ohm.

They are in SERIES.

Re-read what I posted above. It is factual information you need to absorb.

this is the circuit somewhat similar to thew prvs one.. what according to u is the Rth..??

Attachments

• IMG_20140713_133614.jpg
    IMG_20140713_133614.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 414
sorry that was typing mistake.. by mistake I wrote parallel in place of series.. u avoid it and pleasez cxheck out the ckt I posted now..

ranju said:
sorry that was typing mistake.. by mistake I wrote parallel in place of series.. u avoid it and pleasez cxheck out the ckt I posted now..

Ok. What is the thev resistance to you...and why? Look at the 3 rules of parallel I posted above.
Look at it this way too...when the sources are shorted or opened...finding thev resistance is the same as putting an ohmeter on the two points of interest...what would the ohmeter read?

Then I will comment.

ohkk..Now I think I'hv got it somewhat... but I just wanted to clear one thing is ther any difference finding equivalent resisitance and thevenin's resitance... because in the 2nd ckt diagram I gave to u ..the thevenin resiistance is 1 where as the equivalent resistance is 4..!..then why the diff.??

ranju said:
ohkk..Now I think I'hv got it somewhat... but I just wanted to clear one thing is ther any difference finding equivalent resisitance and thevenin's resitance... because in the 2nd ckt diagram I gave to u ..the thevenin resiistance is 1 where as the equivalent resistance is 4..!..then why the diff.??

1 ohm is correct because they are in parallel.
Voltage across is the same.
Resistors are attached by top and bottom node.
And there is two paths for the current to go thru.

Yatzee.

I think Equivalent resistance would be taken from the view of your source/sources.

Thevenin resistance takes it view from the points of interest...terminals A and B from your pics above! If you look at points A and B...they are not really even part of the circuit. Just points were somebody is sticking an ohmeter.

In your second pic, if you take the resistance from the sources, they are clearly in series...therefore 4 ohms.

now why so...! why the view point is chnging...ths thng is actly confusing finding equivalent resiist is easy bt the concept of thevenin's resiistance is making me confused..!
how come they become in series now.. its clear that they are in parallel..!

ranju said:
now why so...! why the view point is chnging...ths thng is actly confusing finding equivalent resiist is easy bt the concept of thevenin's resiistance is making me confused..!

Re-read my above post again...I added a few things.

It takes a little while to get good at Thevenin. Make sure you know it backwards and forwards or you will get hammered on your next exam.

Thevenin can also be used to solve larger circuits...you will see as you progress.

The ohmeter "sees" different things taken from different points. Again, your equivalent resistance is taken from the source.

see the thng is m nt able to get how from view of sources the 2 ohm resisitance r in series.. ?
what if we find even the equivalent resistances from the view of thevenin's resisitance?

ranju said:
see the thng is m nt able to get how from view of sources the 2 ohm resisitance r in series.. ?
what if we find even the equivalent resistances from the view of thevenin's resisitance?

Look at it from the 8 volt source. Short the other source...get rid of the points a and b.
Slide the two resistors over to the right where the 12 volt source is shorted.

Clearly, they are in series. Add together you get 4 ohms.

If you look at the equivalent resistance from the thevenin resistance points, then yes the two will equal each other...or become 1 ohm.

Equivalent and thev resistance are basically identical...its just thevenin just picks its points which is generally different than the source.

Dont overcomplicate thevein. It is basically V=IR.

Norton is almost identical...again, V=IR.

In your next lab, take a circuit that is done in a breadboard. Short or open the sources, then take an ohmeter and read from different points. You will get different readings.

now even m done asking the same sort of q. again n again..I still nt able to distinguish between the 2.. u agree tht if see from view of thevenin resistance thn equiv. resistance will be 1..! In exam how will I be able to knw thn.. ??

welll I think it'll be over-dramatic now..sticking to the same thng fr so long..leave it then..
well thanxx a lot for helping out..!

ranju said:
now even m done asking the same sort of q. again n again..I still nt able to distinguish between the 2.. u agree tht if see from view of thevenin resistance thn equiv. resistance will be 1..! In exam how will I be able to knw thn.. ??

Nobody said electrical engineering was easy.

Now that you are slightly more educated, work a bunch of problems. Also, you are now smart enough to ask your professor in class.

Re-read what I wrote several times over. Sleep on it and read them again.

Good luck.

yeahh... u r right... ! thanxx..fr ur advice...

I appreciate meBigGuy's observation. By saying it is less fundamental what I mean is that it is not as fundamental as Ohm's law or kirchhoffs law. We use these laws to say that a given source of electrical energy can be considered as an ideal source which is supposed to have zero internal resistance in series with a lumped circuit element in the form of an internal resistance. Then generalize this idea to even ac sources. In this sense we are not supposed to have a proof of this modelling. It is consistent with Ohm's law is enough for us.

1. What is Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem is a basic principle in circuit analysis that states that any linear circuit can be simplified to an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistor in series. It is used to simplify complex circuits and make them easier to analyze.

2. How do you solve a circuit using Thevenin's Theorem?

To solve a circuit using Thevenin's Theorem, follow these steps:

1. Determine the load resistance or the resistance across the load terminals.
  2. Disconnect the load and find the open circuit voltage across the load terminals.
  3. Find the equivalent resistance by simplifying the circuit to its Thevenin equivalent.
  4. Draw the Thevenin equivalent circuit with the open circuit voltage and equivalent resistance.
  5. Connect the load back and use Ohm's Law to calculate the current through the load.

3. What is the purpose of Thevenin's Theorem?

The purpose of Thevenin's Theorem is to simplify complex circuits and make them easier to analyze. It allows for the use of basic circuit analysis techniques, such as Ohm's Law, to solve more complicated circuits. It also helps in understanding the behavior of a circuit and predicting its output for different loads.

4. Can Thevenin's Theorem be used for non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's Theorem can only be applied to linear circuits. Non-linear circuits have components that do not follow Ohm's Law, and therefore cannot be simplified to a single voltage source and resistor.

5. What is the difference between Thevenin's Theorem and Norton's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem and Norton's Theorem are very similar and are often used interchangeably. The main difference is that Thevenin's Theorem simplifies a circuit to a single voltage source and resistor, while Norton's Theorem simplifies a circuit to a single current source and resistor. Both can be used to solve circuits and are equivalent to each other.