What Are the Different Sub-Disciplines in Physics?

• Thread starter jai6638
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of sub-disciplines in physics and the question of which discipline would be most interesting for research. The link provided suggests checking the American Physical Society's division subdisciplines for a list of options. It is also mentioned that the definition of "interesting" research is subjective and should not be asked directly to professors. The conversation also briefly touches on the topic of nanotechnology and its broad applications across different disciplines.
jai6638
Hello. I am enrolled for the UCSB summer research mentorship program and was interested in researching in the field of Physics... I was asked to pick a sub-discipline in physics which i might be interested in...

1) The question I had was, what are sub-disciplines in physics? are Thermodynamics, particle physics subdisciplines? If so, could someone list some more please?
2) In which discipline would the research be most interesting or does it depend on personal preference?

I am not sure what I would want to do ...I am interested in Electricity and such but not sure if there might be other things that I might interest me which I can't think of at this time.

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are going to UCSB, your best bet is this:

http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/research/index.html

And yes, what you would describe as "interesting" research is a purely personal preference. (And don't email any profs asking if their research is "interesting".)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the link.. didnt think of that..

And don't email any profs asking if their research is "interesting".)

lol.. rest assured I won't :p

Btw, does nanotechnology come under physics or chemistry? That seemed like another field that seemed interesting..

Nanotech is broad enough to cover a wide variety of disciplines, not just physics and chemistry. For example, there is the field of systems biology.

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~heathgrp/research/NanosysBiology/What%20is%20Systems%20Biology.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
jai6638 said:
Hello. I am enrolled for the UCSB summer research mentorship program and was interested in researching in the field of Physics... I was asked to pick a sub-discipline in physics which i might be interested in...

1) The question I had was, what are sub-disciplines in physics? are Thermodynamics, particle physics subdisciplines? If so, could someone list some more please?
2) In which discipline would the research be most interesting or does it depend on personal preference?

I am not sure what I would want to do ...I am interested in Electricity and such but not sure if there might be other things that I might interest me which I can't think of at this time.

Thanks a lot.

Check this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=51455&highlight=APS+division

1. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a sub-discipline of physics that studies the motion of macroscopic objects based on well-defined laws and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion. Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level and follows probabilistic principles rather than deterministic ones.

2. Can you explain the concept of relativity in physics?

Relativity is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the laws of physics do not change regardless of the observer's reference frame. The two main theories of relativity are special relativity, which deals with objects moving at constant speeds, and general relativity, which includes the effects of gravity.

3. What is the role of thermodynamics in physics?

Thermodynamics is a sub-discipline of physics that deals with the conversion of energy between different forms, such as heat, work, and mechanical energy. It also studies the behavior of systems in response to changes in temperature, pressure, and other variables. This field has practical applications in various industries, such as engineering and chemistry.

4. How does electromagnetism relate to physics?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields. It is responsible for many of the phenomena we encounter in everyday life, such as electricity, magnetism, and light. This field has significant practical applications, including the development of technology such as electric motors and generators.

5. What is the role of optics in physics?

Optics is a sub-discipline of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light, including its interactions with matter. It encompasses topics such as reflection, refraction, diffraction, and polarization. Optics has many applications in technology, including the development of lenses, telescopes, and lasers.