Threshold Frequency: PE effect

In summary, the threshold frequency for the photoelectric effect is dependent on the properties of the valency band from the solid.
Spastik_Relativity
In the Photoelectric effect what is the threshold frequency dependent on?
This isn't homework I was just pondering.
Is it the binding forces between the electron and the nuclues or is it dependent of a property of the photon?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's not homework, then it should be in the homework section- I'm moving it to "General Physics".

Spastik_Relativity said:
In the Photoelectric effect what is the threshold frequency dependent on?
This isn't homework I was just pondering.
Is it the binding forces between the electron and the nuclues or is it dependent of a property of the photon?

It depends on the atom (how many and what type of valence electron it has), the crystal structure of the material (how they are arranged when they formed the solid), and what type of solid it became (metal, semiconductor, etc).

I've repeated this many times, but in the typical photoelectric effect, you are dealing with the valence BAND from a SOLID, not individualized atom. The individual atom has lost its identity when it forms a solid since it now has to live with others of its kind. So the atomic property is gone when we deal with the typical photoelectric effect (we're not talking about X-ray photoemission here). This means you have to deal with the property of the SOLID as a whole instead.

Zz.

So the thresold frequency is dependent on the properties of the valency band, right?

Because i was fiddling around with waves and the idea that in the Photoelectric effect that either none or all of the momentum of the photon is transferred to the electron and i came up with a relationship between threshold frequency and teh wavelength of the photon.

It was confusing.

Spastik_Relativity said:
So the thresold frequency is dependent on the properties of the valency band, right?

Because i was fiddling around with waves and the idea that in the Photoelectric effect that either none or all of the momentum of the photon is transferred to the electron and i came up with a relationship between threshold frequency and teh wavelength of the photon.

It was confusing.

Eh?

Your post is confusing too! It is why photoelectric effect can only occurs in solids - the lattice takes up the photon's in-plane momentum and the electron's recoil momentum! You do not get a photoelectric effect on free electron gas. Refer to any text or review on photoemission spectroscopy.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Eh?

Your post is confusing too! It is why photoelectric effect can only occurs in solids - the lattice takes up the photon's in-plane momentum and the electron's recoil momentum! You do not get a photoelectric effect on free electron gas. Refer to any text or review on photoemission spectroscopy.

Zz.

Yeah I get that it only applies for solids.
But I thought that in a photon-electron interaction either all the photons momentum or none of the photons momentum is given to the electron in the metal.
From the above principle I applied the conservation of momentum and Einstien's photoelectric equation: Energy = Threshold Energy + Kinetic Energy of Electron, and I derived a relationship between threshold frequncy and wavelength of the the photon.

Does that make sense?

What is threshold frequency?

Threshold frequency is the minimum frequency of incident light that is required to cause the photoelectric effect in a particular metal. It is different for different metals and is dependent on their work function.

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a metal surface when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency. This effect was first explained by Albert Einstein and is often used in various technologies, such as solar panels and photomultiplier tubes.

What factors affect the threshold frequency?

The threshold frequency of a metal is affected by its work function, which is the minimum energy required to remove an electron from its surface. It is also affected by the intensity and wavelength of the incident light.

Why is the threshold frequency important?

The threshold frequency is important because it determines whether or not the photoelectric effect will occur in a particular metal. If the frequency of the incident light is below the threshold frequency, no electrons will be emitted, regardless of the light's intensity. This helps us understand the behavior of electrons and light in different materials.

How is the threshold frequency measured?

The threshold frequency can be measured by gradually increasing the frequency of the incident light on a metal surface and observing the point at which electrons start to be emitted. This frequency corresponds to the threshold frequency for that specific metal.