How Does Air Resistance Affect the Distance of Free Fall?

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the distance a particle falls when starting from rest in a constant gravitational field and encountering a resisting force proportional to the square of its velocity. After manipulating the given equation, it is found that the distance is equal to 1/2k ln ((g-kv02)/(g-kv12)), where k is the constant of proportionality, g is the gravitational acceleration, and v0 and v1 are the initial and final velocities, respectively.
eku_girl83
Here's the problem:
Consider a particle of mass m whose motion starts from rest in a constant gravitational field. If a resisting force proportional to the square of the velocity (kmv2) is encountered, find the distance s the particle falls in accelerating from v0 to v1.

I began with the equation m (dv/dt)=-mg-kmv2.
From this, we see that dv = -g-kv2 dt.
When I separate variables and integrate this however, I get a function that involves the inverse tangent. I would have to integrate a second time to find distance, correct?
The book gives the distance s from v0 to v1 as 1/2k ln ((g-kv02)/(g-kv12)). What am I doing wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the relation

[tex]
\ddot{x} = v \frac{dv}{dx}
[/tex]

on the left hand side of your equation and you should find things work out :)

I would like to clarify that the equation m (dv/dt)=-mg-kmv2 is known as the differential equation for free fall with resistance. This equation represents the balance between the gravitational force (mg) and the resisting force (kmv2), where k is a constant factor and v is the velocity of the particle.

To solve this problem, we need to use calculus to find the velocity and distance of the particle as it falls. Integrating the equation, we get dv/(-g-kv2) = dt. By using the substitution u = v2, we can simplify the equation to 1/u du = (-1/gk) dt. Integrating both sides, we get ln(u) = (-t/gk) + C, where C is the constant of integration. Substituting back for v, we get ln(v2) = (-t/gk) + C.

Now, we can use the initial conditions of the problem (starting from rest, v0 = 0) to solve for the constant C. When t = 0, v = v0 = 0, which means ln(v02) = 0. Solving for C, we get C = 0.

Substituting this back into our equation, we get ln(v2) = (-t/gk). To find the distance, we need to integrate v with respect to time. We can do this by using the substitution u = v2, as we did before. Integrating both sides, we get s = (-1/gk) ln(v2) + D, where D is the constant of integration.

Using the initial conditions again, when t = 0, v = v0 = 0, which means s = 0. Solving for D, we get D = 0.

Therefore, the distance s from v0 to v1 is given by s = (-1/gk) ln(v12). This matches the answer given in the book, 1/2k ln ((g-kv02)/(g-kv12)). So, it seems like there may have been a mistake in your integration or substitution.

I would suggest double-checking your work and making sure all the steps are correct. If you are still having trouble, you can consult with a math or physics tutor for additional help. Remember, it is important to always check your work and make sure your answer makes sense in the

What is free fall with resistance?

Free fall with resistance is a concept in physics where an object is falling under the influence of gravity, but is also experiencing air resistance. This means that the object is not falling at a constant acceleration, but rather slowing down as it falls due to the resistance of the air.

How does air resistance affect free fall?

Air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, and increases as the object's speed increases. This causes the object to slow down as it falls, and eventually reach a terminal velocity where the air resistance is equal to the force of gravity.

What factors affect the amount of air resistance during free fall?

The amount of air resistance experienced by an object depends on its shape, size, and velocity. Objects with a larger surface area or greater velocity will experience more air resistance than smaller or slower objects.

Can an object reach a speed of zero during free fall with resistance?

Yes, an object can reach a speed of zero during free fall with resistance. This occurs when the air resistance is equal to the force of gravity, causing the object to no longer accelerate and reach a terminal velocity. However, the object will continue to fall at a constant speed.

How does free fall with resistance differ from free fall without resistance?

In free fall without resistance, an object falls at a constant acceleration due to the force of gravity. However, in free fall with resistance, the object experiences a slowing acceleration due to the opposing force of air resistance. This results in a different motion and eventual terminal velocity for the object.