Half H bridge controller

by icysquiffle
Tags: bridge, controller, h bridge, motor controller, robot
icysquiffle
Feb20-14, 02:45 PM
P: 3
Im a second year mechanical engineer at university, we have a group project to design a robot for robot wars. To do this we have to design something called a half H bridge. I have very little understanding of electrical engineering and our electrical engineer has dropped out of uni leaving us to do this alone. Any help designing the circuit would be greatly appreciated.
The robot will have two motors (12V) that are used to steer (slow down on one wheel to steer type idea)
The motor controller must be able to go fast, slow, and stop on both motors independently.
If you need anymore information to work with please let me know
thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
New ultrasound device may add in detecting risk for heart attack, stroke
Enhanced ground control system and software for small unmanned aircraft
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
meBigGuy
Feb20-14, 08:08 PM
P: 976
http://hackaday.com/2011/10/28/motor...rake-and-more/

What are you using to control the system?

To get two speeds you need a way to pulse control the drive transistor. You should add logic to prevent both transistors from being on at the same time.
icysquiffle
Feb21-14, 02:22 AM
we have been given a 7 channel transmitter and receiver linked to a RC airplane remote control, I assume this is what you mean by controlling the system

meBigGuy
Feb21-14, 02:16 PM
P: 976

Half H bridge controller

I just want to understand the nature of the signals that will connect to the motor control system. Are there 7 ON/OFF signals? Or analog signals? Or PWM signals? How many are allocated to the motor control, and what do you think they will do. For example, will it be 2 signals for FORWARD/BRAKE and FAST/SLOW to each motor? Or, do you need a freewheel mode? Or, do you have an analog or PWM channel for speed control?

As far a designing a half-h-bridge, the link I posted shows what it is. Also you can google half-h-bridge motor control and look at images. Ignore the examples with 4 switches (those are full h bridge).
icysquiffle
Feb21-14, 03:52 PM
honestly I have no idea, i showed the link you posted to the guys in my group and they seem to understand it though so thanks for the help :)

Register to reply