Aircraft maintenance engineering

In summary: Try to get more information from him about his degree program and see if there's anything you can do to encourage him.In summary, an AME degree in India will not allow someone to pursue a masters in aerospace engineering. He needs to have a ME or engineering degree from a US school.
anvesh111
i am doing aircraft maintenance engineering, after completing it can i go to the m.s aerospace engineering for my further studies... please reply

Physics news on Phys.org
unfortunately nope.

you need to have degree in aerospace/aeronautical engineering.

You don't necessarily need an engineering degree, but you will need a four-year Bachelor's degree, preferably with a strong math/physics background.

Fortunately, yep - Brian C is correct.

If you don't have an engineering degree and you get accepted, you will have a lot of ground to make up. I can tell you from experience you do not want to walk into a graduate level class with no undergraduate experience.

FredGarvin said:
If you don't have an engineering degree and you get accepted, you will have a lot of ground to make up. I can tell you from experience you do not want to walk into a graduate level class with no undergraduate experience.

He's not walking into a graduate level class with "no undergraduate experience." He's getting a 4-year degree in "aircraft maintenance engineering."

Whatever that is, no graduate school in the US would accept him if it werent' a four-year degree. I suspect it entails more hands-on shop and ME work, possibly IEOR work, but regardless, it'll give him some background.

The rest is up to the GRE's, and his graduate school course advisors, who will require him to take whatever pre-req's are required to bring him up to speed before he's allowed to wade in more substantial stuff.

anvesh your name sounds like indian.

so if your query is related to post graduation studies in india,

then no buddy, in India you need to have mechanical/aeronautical/aerospace/chemical/electronics/electrical engineering degree depending on the specialization of your masters.

like if you want aerodynamics as your specialization then you should have a mech/aeronautcis/aerospace degree.

if you want propulsion as your specialization then you need to have mech/aero/chemical engineering degree.

structures - then degree in mech/civil/aero.

in india, with AME degree you can't do masters in aerospace/aeronautics.

abroad ---> like they have mentioned above. it depends.

i hope you got my point.

good luck

mugaliens said:
He's not walking into a graduate level class with "no undergraduate experience." He's getting a 4-year degree in "aircraft maintenance engineering."

No. By background, I mean an engineering background. He is thinking of walking into a very intensive engineering program with, most likely, very lacking engineering technical skills. For example, if he has never taken a real, engineering fluids class as an undergrad, you do not want to try to learn fluids in a graduate level class. His experience in "aircraft maintenance" has, most likely, zero exposure to a real engineering fluids class or compressible flow, or aerodynamics, or thermo...

thanx ...actually I'm doing my aircraft.m. engineering in perth college in u.k ,scotland,and I'm going to complete honors in aircraft engineering also,...yes I'm from india...i like to do m.s aerospace engineering...please let me know or give any suggestion

jason.bourne said:
anvesh your name sounds like indian.

so if your query is related to post graduation studies in india,

then no buddy, in India you need to have mechanical/aeronautical/aerospace/chemical/electronics/electrical engineering degree depending on the specialization of your masters.

like if you want aerodynamics as your specialization then you should have a mech/aeronautcis/aerospace degree.

if you want propulsion as your specialization then you need to have mech/aero/chemical engineering degree.

structures - then degree in mech/civil/aero.in india, with AME degree you can't do masters in aerospace/aeronautics.

abroad ---> like they have mentioned above. it depends.

i hope you got my point.good luck

thanx ...actually I'm doing my aircraft.m. engineering in perth college in u.k ,scotland,and I'm going to complete honors in aircraft engineering also,...yes I'm from india...i like to do m.s aerospace engineering...please let me know or give any suggestion

Out of curiosity, can you post a link to your curriculum? I'd be interested to see what classes make up the degree program.

FredGarvin said:
No. By background, I mean an engineering background. He is thinking of walking into a very intensive engineering program with, most likely, very lacking engineering technical skills. For example, if he has never taken a real, engineering fluids class as an undergrad, you do not want to try to learn fluids in a graduate level class. His experience in "aircraft maintenance" has, most likely, zero exposure to a real engineering fluids class or compressible flow, or aerodynamics, or thermo...

I understand your point, Fred. I suppose we'd need to know more of what "aircraft maintenance engineering" entails. That's best left up to the admissions, who will require a copy of his school's catalog and his transcripts.

On the face of it, it sounds a little weak, but I don't want to throw cold water on someone's dream when I don't know what the "engineering" part of his AM degree entails. I certainly will not assume it's meaninless as an engineering background, because it might very well have checked the right boxes.

Without further information about the "engineering aspect," guessing, assuming, and telling him "it's not good enough" is premature.

FredGarvin said:

That's definitely true. I had to take undergrad classes in aerodynamics, flight dynamics, and structural statics before attempting any graduate classes in AE. The learning curve was very steep.

An Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (AME) is a person licenced to ensure that aircraft are airworthy in accordance with local and international aviation standards.It is an ICAO licience, somewhat smilar to the A&P (AMT), although the latter is not an ICAO licience. Many countries use AME’s in different forms.
It is not an engineering degree, but he would know something about airplanes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_Maintenance_Engineer
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ELGDBook_07_WebVersion.pdf

What is aircraft maintenance engineering?

Aircraft maintenance engineering is a specialized field of engineering that deals with the maintenance, repair, and inspection of aircrafts. It involves ensuring the safety and airworthiness of aircrafts by following strict regulations and guidelines set by aviation authorities.

What are the responsibilities of an aircraft maintenance engineer?

An aircraft maintenance engineer is responsible for performing regular maintenance tasks, troubleshooting and repairing any mechanical or electrical issues, and conducting thorough inspections to ensure the safety and airworthiness of an aircraft. They also keep detailed records of all maintenance activities and follow strict safety protocols.

What qualifications and skills are required to become an aircraft maintenance engineer?

To become an aircraft maintenance engineer, one must have a degree in aircraft maintenance engineering or a related field. They must also have a license from the aviation authority in their country. In addition to formal education, a strong understanding of aircraft systems, attention to detail, problem-solving skills, and the ability to work under pressure are important qualities for this role.

What is the career outlook for aircraft maintenance engineers?

The career outlook for aircraft maintenance engineers is positive, with a growing demand for skilled professionals in the aviation industry. As air travel continues to increase, the need for qualified engineers to maintain and repair aircrafts is also expected to rise. This makes it a promising career choice for those interested in the field.

What are the safety precautions involved in aircraft maintenance engineering?

Aircraft maintenance engineers must follow strict safety precautions to ensure the safety of themselves and others. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, following safety protocols and procedures, and maintaining a clean and organized work environment. They must also be aware of potential hazards and take necessary precautions to prevent accidents or injuries.