Broken blood vessel in finger joint

In summary, the author felt a burning sensation in their left hand and then the middle joint of their index finger swelled up and turned purple. The author was unsure of what caused the incident, but Googled "broken blood vessel in finger joint" and found that it is a common occurrence. The author thinks that he may have a vitamin K deficiency or liver damage and would consult a doctor if the same thing happened again.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Friday morning I was sitting at my desk when I felt this burning sensation in my left hand. Suddenly the middle joint of my index finger started swelling up and it was very painful. Then the middle joint turned purple and looked like it had been hit with a hammer.

It's been two days now and the bruising is almost gone, but I am still mystified that this could happen while I was sitting there doing nothing. I googled "broken blood vessel in finger joint" and it seems that this happens to other people without injury or any apparent cause.

Ever heard of anything like that?

Biology news on Phys.org
Nope, but I'd look it up with a physician, obviously. Since you don't know what caused it, you don't know if the same thing could happen to other vessels.

the only time that happens to me is from some kind of trauma.

Could be a vitamin K deficiency or liver damage.

A good medical doctor would test for Prothrombin.

Good grief MIH! That doesn't sound normal.

Evo said:
Good grief MIH! That doesn't sound normal.
Nothing that happens to you is normal! You are not qualified to advise the Hooper in this matter.

I am not qualified either, though it still surprises me to run across a friend who has experienced a blood-vessel rupture only to see that 1/2 of the white of their eye is bright red.

I think I'm going to step up my vitamin K. I'm nibbling lettuce now.
My diet has been really poor the past month. If it happens again, I'll show the doc.

Math Is Hard said:
My diet has been really poor the past month. If it happens again, I'll show the doc.
You should report it to your doctor anyway. Let him/her decide if you should come in for a check up. Ruptured blood vessels not caused by an impact or load could be a warning sign. If one hasn't had a blood test in many years, perhaps it is time.

May be it's time to add some spinach and chard to the diet.

Math Is Hard said:

MIH, that's not normal. You should really consult a doc, don't wait for it to happen again.

Monique said:
MIH, that's not normal. You should really consult a doc, don't wait for it to happen again.

Right...what if it happened in a more critical place than your finger?

Let me just chime in and say: go see a doctor, and in the meantime take a picture or two of it to show him or her. This could be nothing, or it could be anything up to a small break one of your phalanges, releasing blood or marrow into the joint space. This is not necessarily doom, but it is something to verify as to nature and cause. Do not begin a regimen intended to treat this without medical supervision, please.

To lisab: ...Or what if it occurs somewhere less critical, but forms a clot which symbolizes? Any way you look at this, you need a doctor to take a look at this, and if I were your doctor I would order a full differential CBC, vitamin panel, and maybe a few other tests for fun *kidding on the fun*. Do not take this as a sign of impending doom, but do not take it as some normal event.

1. What causes a broken blood vessel in finger joint?

A broken blood vessel in the finger joint, also known as a subungual hematoma, is usually caused by some form of trauma or injury to the finger. This can include hitting the finger against a hard surface, jamming it in a door or drawer, or even repetitive movements such as typing or playing a musical instrument.

2. What are the symptoms of a broken blood vessel in finger joint?

The most common symptom of a broken blood vessel in the finger joint is pain, which can range from mild to severe. Other symptoms include swelling, discoloration (typically a dark purple or black spot under the nail), and tenderness to the touch.

3. How is a broken blood vessel in finger joint diagnosed?

A broken blood vessel in the finger joint can usually be diagnosed through a physical examination of the finger and a discussion of the patient's symptoms. In some cases, an X-ray may be used to rule out any underlying fractures or other injuries.

4. What is the treatment for a broken blood vessel in finger joint?

In most cases, a broken blood vessel in the finger joint will heal on its own within a few weeks. However, if the pain is severe, a doctor may recommend draining the blood from under the nail to relieve pressure and reduce pain. In rare cases, surgery may be necessary to repair any damage to the finger joint.

5. Can a broken blood vessel in finger joint lead to any complications?

In most cases, a broken blood vessel in the finger joint will not lead to any serious complications. However, if the injury is severe or if the nail bed is damaged, there is a risk of infection. It is important to keep the finger clean and monitor for any signs of infection, such as increased pain, swelling, or redness.