Should I email my potential advisors before applying to graduate schools?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of reaching out to professors whose research aligns with a student's interests when applying to grad school. Some believe it is necessary and helpful, while others caution against appearing insincere or blindly choosing a professor without getting to know them first. It is recommended to personalize each email and show genuine interest, potentially offering to write a research proposal or report. Ultimately, contacting professors can provide valuable insight into the department, their work, and potential fit for the student.
fizixgirl
I'll be applying to grad schools over the next few months, and I've talked to a few professors at my university who have told me that it would be a good idea to find professors whose research specializes in what I'm interested in and email them, telling them a little about myself and that I'm applying to their university and may possibly be interested in working with them. The professors that told me this said that this will usually help my admission, because the professor you've contacted will usually argue for you when they're discussing which of the applicants to admit, because it'll: 1) show that you're genuinely interested, and 2) excite the professor because they'll have a new potential slave (haha). What do you guys think of this idea? Is it really necessary/helpful?

Physics news on Phys.org
Absolutely, I am in the same boat and I did this and it turns out that it's a good thing to do. However, you have to be careful not to do this too many times. Choose professors that you are genuinely interested in their research and try to express your REAL interest. professors are very skeptical from spamming or that students may be sending hundreds of emails without real interest. so you have to be careful, personalize each email, and show genuine interest. I would also recommend that you offer writing a research proposal/report or anything like that if required to show that you are really interested. If one of them accepted your offer then do what he requires. this will absolutely boost your chances of admission. That's how I see it anyway

Hossam is right; it will be easy to seem insincere. But also remember that not all professors are looking for new grad students, so you're asking them for a favor, not granting them the privilege of working with you. And it can also be a bad idea to 'cold-email' someone you've never met just in case you end up not getting along. I went to my first grad program specifically to work with a certain prof one of my other advisers had highly recommended to me; within 2 months we were actively avoiding each other and I transferred out after a few years just to get away. Blindly transferred to a school I knew nothing about, spent 6 months taking classes and getting to know people, and then picked an awesome adviser I'm very happy working with.

fizixgirl said:
What do you guys think of this idea? Is it really necessary/helpful?

It isn't necessary but yes, it's helpful - for both your application and your understanding. It's hard for you to know without actually speaking to someone in the department what their work is like and what direction it could take for students. You wouldn't email them only to help your application - you would find out more about the university, department and whether or not it fits with what you're looking for. You could ask for a short meeting to discuss research in the area and prospects for the department/project - or tell them that, as a prospective student, you've browsed work that they've done and would be happy if they might recommend a paper or two that's in the direction of future work.

I believe it can be beneficial to reach out to potential advisors before applying to graduate schools. This shows initiative and genuine interest in their research, which can make a positive impression. However, it is important to approach this in a professional and respectful manner. Instead of referring to the potential advisor as a "slave," it would be more appropriate to express your enthusiasm for potentially working with them and how their research aligns with your interests. Additionally, it is important to keep in mind that not all professors may have the time or resources to take on new students, so it is important to respect their decision if they are unable to accommodate you. Overall, reaching out to potential advisors can demonstrate your passion and dedication to your field of study, but it should be done with respect and consideration.

1. Should I email potential advisors before applying to graduate schools?

Yes, it is highly recommended to reach out to potential advisors before applying to graduate schools. This will give you the opportunity to introduce yourself, express your interest in their research, and potentially ask for advice on the application process.

2. When is the best time to email potential advisors?

The best time to email potential advisors is at least several months before the application deadline. This will give them enough time to respond and potentially discuss your application with you before making their decision.

3. What should I include in my email to potential advisors?

In your email, you should introduce yourself, mention your research interests, and explain why you are interested in working with them specifically. You can also attach your CV and any relevant research experience or publications.

4. Is it necessary to email all potential advisors at a graduate school?

No, it is not necessary to email all potential advisors at a graduate school. You should focus on reaching out to those whose research aligns with your interests and who you believe would be a good fit for you as an advisor.

5. What should I do if a potential advisor does not respond to my email?

If a potential advisor does not respond to your email, you can follow up after a couple of weeks. If you still do not receive a response, it is best to move on and focus on other potential advisors who may be a better fit for you.