Can Amateur Telescopes Detect Exoplanets?

In summary, it is currently impossible to directly image an exoplanet using amateur equipment due to their proximity to their stars and the brightness of the stars. However, amateur astronomers can detect exoplanet transits by measuring the light output of the host star. This method has been used successfully with an 8 inch telescope. The idea of detecting exoplanets with amateur equipment has only been developed in the last two decades and was made possible by the availability of CCD detectors. The radial velocity detection method, which relies on the wobble caused by large planets, is more likely to be noticed but transits can be easier to detect with smaller telescopes. However, many events can look like transits so they must be double checked with the radial
SpaceDreamer
Is it possible to detect exoplanets with amateur telescopes? If so what size would be needed. I have seen some amateur protoplanetary disks pictures and would one be able to tell if an exoplanet existed in it as I carved out the material for planet formation? Is it possible for us with current technology to conduct spectrography on an exoplanet?

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It is pretty much impossible to directly image an exoplanet using amateur equipment. They are simply too close to their stars and the stars are too bright. However you can easily detect an exoplanet transit by measuring the light output of the host star. I have done that myself using an 8 inch scope.

Drakkith said:
It is pretty much impossible to directly image an exoplanet using amateur equipment. They are simply too close to their stars and the stars are too bright. However you can easily detect an exoplanet transit by measuring the light output of the host star. I have done that myself using an 8 inch scope.

That is very impressive! If you can do that (with the greatest respect) how come it is only recently that they've been finding expoplanets - bearing in mind the thousands of enthusiastic amateurs involved. But I guess you already knew where to look?

sophiecentaur said:
That is very impressive! If you can do that (with the greatest respect) how come it is only recently that they've been finding expoplanets - bearing in mind the thousands of enthusiastic amateurs involved. But I guess you already knew where to look?

Yep. I already knew where to look. Plus, the idea was only developed in the last two decades. So even though its really easy, we just didn't know it was possible until lately. Also, amateurs only have had access to CCD detectors in the last decade, so amateur detection of these planets was pretty much impossible before then as there was no way to get accurate photometric measurements from film. (At least not the accuracy you need to detect exoplanet transits)

I guess the CCDs for all made all the difference. I remember a talk at School from 'Kevin' of 'Planet Kevin' (a young Australian, if I remember right) a little over ten years ago and he was describing a 'doppler shift' detection system, based on the wobble caused by large planets around stars. Then the brightness variation method reared its head. I guess the chances of transits is less than the chances of finding a wobble? What's the state of things?

The radial velocity detection method is much more likely to be noticed, as the system doesn't have to line up almost perfectly edge on. However, the more edge on it is, the easier it is to detect the doppler shift, so it still matters some. BUT transits that do happen can be easier to detect than small doppler shifts, as even small telescopes can detect large transiting exoplanets, while it takes very large telescopes to gather enough light and have enough resolution to detect the doppler shift.

The other issues is that plenty of events happen that look like transits, so practically all discovered transiting exoplanets had to be double checked using the radial velocity method before being "confirmed" as exoplanets.

. . . . so you can only see the occasional rare transit and not an 'annual' one, presumably? I'm basing that on the infrequent occurrence of the transit of Venus, seen from Earth. It seems a very hit and miss affair. How do the numbers work? Does it require large planets?

sophiecentaur said:
. . . . so you can only see the occasional rare transit and not an 'annual' one, presumably? I'm basing that on the infrequent occurrence of the transit of Venus, seen from Earth. It seems a very hit and miss affair. How do the numbers work? Does it require large planets?

It depends on the orbital characteristics really. Most transiting exoplanets we have discovered have regular transits. It probably helps that our own orbital motion matters very little, unlike the transit of Venus.

Larger planets block more light and are easier to detect, so we have a very large amount of those detected compared with terrestrial size planets. However we are discovering smaller planets and more of them all the time.

Drakkith said:
It depends on the orbital characteristics really. Most transiting exoplanets we have discovered have regular transits. It probably helps that our own orbital motion matters very little, unlike the transit of Venus.

Larger planets block more light and are easier to detect, so we have a very large amount of those detected compared with terrestrial size planets. However we are discovering smaller planets and more of them all the time.

That's what makes all the difference, I suppose. I hadn't thought of that.
There must be so many more that we don't see - a factor of a hundred or more.
The details of other peoples' fields are always fascinating. Cheers for the insight.

Heh, I like how you say fields like I'm actually a real astronomer.

Drakkith said:
Heh, I like how you say fields like I'm actually a real astronomer.

If you've got it, flaunt it Ducky! :biggrin:

sophiecentaur said:
If you've got it, flaunt it Ducky! :biggrin:

Lol. Gimme a few years and I may have it.

1. How do I get started with amateur exoplanet imaging?

To get started with amateur exoplanet imaging, you will need a telescope with a large aperture, a high-quality camera, and specialized software for image processing. It is also important to research and understand the latest techniques and methods used by professional astronomers in exoplanet imaging.

2. What types of exoplanets can be imaged by amateur astronomers?

Amateur astronomers can image a variety of exoplanets, including hot Jupiters, super-Earths, and gas giants. However, smaller and more distant planets may be more challenging to image due to their size and distance from Earth.

3. How can amateur exoplanet images contribute to scientific research?

Amateur exoplanet images can contribute to scientific research by providing additional data and observations of exoplanets. These images can help to confirm the existence of exoplanets, gather information about their atmosphere and composition, and aid in the search for potentially habitable planets.

4. What challenges do amateur astronomers face in exoplanet imaging?

Amateur astronomers face several challenges in exoplanet imaging, including light pollution, atmospheric turbulence, and limited access to specialized equipment. They also need to have a deep understanding of imaging techniques and data analysis to produce high-quality images.

5. Are there any resources available for amateur exoplanet imagers?

Yes, there are several online communities and forums dedicated to amateur exoplanet imaging, where enthusiasts can share their experiences, techniques, and images. There are also websites that provide information, tutorials, and software specifically designed for amateur exoplanet imaging.