A determinant containing a variable

In summary, the conversation discusses a 4x4 determinant with x values and the method for solving this type of determinant. The conversation mentions using elimination and cofactors, resulting in a polynomial of the 4th degree. The conversation ends with a question about the different values of x and their properties in relation to the determinant.
Quark Itself

Homework Statement

I have this 4x4 determinant and usually these are just mechanical work, until I stumbled upon one containing x, how should one go about solving these type of determinants?
[x 2x 4 x ]
[1 2 2x 1 ]
[2x x-1 2 3x]
[ 2 x+1 x+3 x-1]
What are the different values of x?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried ellimination and by using cofactors. When fully computed, it will be a polynomial of the 4th degree, as one probably can see.
Ellimination didn't make it simpler to factorize and cofactors just solved it until the polynomial popped up at the end-

Physics news on Phys.org
Quark Itself said:

Homework Statement

I have this 4x4 determinant and usually these are just mechanical work, until I stumbled upon one containing x, how should one go about solving these type of determinants?
[x 2x 4 x ]
[1 2 2x 1 ]
[2x x-1 2 3x]
[ 2 x+1 x+3 x-1]

Homework Equations

I've tried ellimination and by using cofactors. When fully computed, it will be a polynomial of the 4th degree, as one probably can see.
Ellimination didn't make it simpler to factorize and cofactors just solved it until the polynomial popped up at the end-

What did you get?

8x4-22x3-22x2+47x+3

Mark44 said:
What did you get?

Quark Itself said:

Homework Statement

[x 2x 4 x ]
[1 2 2x 1 ]
[2x x-1 2 3x]
[ 2 x+1 x+3 x-1]

Quark Itself said:
8x4-22x3-22x2+47x+3

Is this your determinant?$$
\left|\begin{array}{cccc}
x & 2x & 4 & x \\
1 & 2 & 2x & 1\\
2x & x-1 & 2 & 3x\\
2 & x+1 & x+3 & x-1
\end{array}\right|$$
If so, your last two terms should be ##44x+12##. Still, once you have the polynomial correct, you haven't said what you are supposed to do with it. It doesn't make sense to ask "what are the different values of ##x##".

Quark Itself said:

Homework Statement

[x 2x 4 x ]
[1 2 2x 1 ]
[2x x-1 2 3x]
[ 2 x+1 x+3 x-1]
The different values of x that give the determinant what property? That it be 0? That it not be 0?

Homework Equations

1. What is a determinant containing a variable?

A determinant containing a variable is a mathematical expression that includes one or more variables in its terms. It is commonly used in linear algebra to solve systems of equations and find the values of the variables.

2. How is a determinant containing a variable calculated?

A determinant containing a variable is calculated by using the same rules as a regular determinant, but instead of using numerical values, the variables are used in the calculations. The final result is an expression with the variables still included.

3. What is the purpose of using a determinant containing a variable?

The purpose of using a determinant containing a variable is to solve systems of equations and find the values of the variables. It is a useful tool in linear algebra for solving real-world problems and understanding the relationships between different variables.

4. Can a determinant containing a variable have more than one solution?

Yes, a determinant containing a variable can have more than one solution. In fact, it can have an infinite number of solutions, depending on the values of the variables. This is because the determinant represents a system of equations, and there can be multiple combinations of variables that satisfy the equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using a determinant containing a variable?

One limitation of using a determinant containing a variable is that it can become very complicated and difficult to solve when there are multiple variables and equations involved. In these cases, other methods may be used to solve the system of equations. Additionally, some determinants may not have a solution if the equations are inconsistent or if there are more unknowns than equations.